Background template

Monday, June 17, 2013

Much to celebrate

Yesterday was a big day for many reasons:

1. It was my older sister's birthday! That's her (Elizabeth) on the left in this picture from one of my baby showers:

2. It was my in-laws' anniversary! Two of the nicest and most happily married people you will ever meet:

3. We took Colby and Clara to church for the first time! We wanted to wait until after they had gotten their 2-month vaccines, especially because the church is held in a school (aka: germ pool), and Father's Day seemed like a good day for them to make their debut.

4. And on that note, we celebrated Brian's first Father's Day as a dad! Of course we had to do a photo shoot, the result of which I posted yesterday on Facebook:

Not sure why Colby is looking so perturbed/perplexed, but as further proof of how smiley he is, check out this picture I got with the real camera:


Oh and to answer your question, since Clara and Brian matched, I made sure to wear blue so that Colby wouldn't feel left out, being that he doesn't have a purple outfit :)

Brian's first Father's Day consisted of breakfast at home, church, lunch at Pei Wei, a free Kentucky Bourbon cupcake from Gigi's, FaceTime with our families, chips and guacamole while the babies napped, and dinner at home. We also did some shopping for him on Saturday and had dinner with the Blackburns (during which one of us consumed 4 pieces of pizza and 2.5 brownies... that would be me), so I'd say the weekend was a success.



And finally, after perusing Facebook and Instagram yesterday, I need to get something off of my chest: the plural of "dad" is "dads." The plural of "daddy" is "daddies." The plural of "father" is "fathers." There are no apostrophes necessary unless you want to make the terms possessive.

And while we're on the topic, I have probably mentioned this before, but if you are making a last name ending in 's' plural, then you add '-es' to the end... you do not add an apostrophe or just leave it as is. For example: 
Incorrect: "We are going to dinner with the Jones'."
Incorrect: "We are going to dinner with the Jones."
Correct: "We are going to dinner with the Joneses."

Ok I'm finished. I feel much better. 

8 comments:

the blogivers said...

I think in the picture of Brian and Colby from your "real camera" they look a lot alike!

Also, I wrote a blog post recently about making last names plural, but then deleted it in the end... so I'm glad you made the PSA for me! If anyone reads this comment, though, I also want you to know that it is not "Merry Christmas from the Smith's!" No apostrophe needed. Thank you.

Brittnie said...

So glad we got to hang out for a while. And loved seeing C&C again (and you and Brian of course)!

Mollyanne said...

Apostrophe's never make thing's plural's. That is one of my biggest grammar pet peeve's (feel free to delete this comment if you can't stand to look at it - I wouldn't blame you).

Erika said...

OMG so thankful for this grammar PSA. As an owner of an -es last name, it is a constant study in self-control when I see people butcher my name in an attempt to make it plural, possessive, or both. AAAAHHHHHH!!!! Also with city names...really? We live in ATHENS. Under no circumstances will it EVER be appropriate to say Athen's best hamburgers or whatever...WTF?!?! Come on, people.

Anyway. Also, glad yall had a happy FD...that cupcake looks pretty off the chain!

HoagsandKisses said...

Sweet pics of Brian with the babies! I am muy impressed with the color coordinating. Is that your favorite part of having twins? It would definitely be my favorite part... you each have a mini-me :)

Natasha said...

I did notice that Colby was left out of the colour coordinating so I'm glad you matched with him, even if there isn't any proof of that in this post :)

And you can add another thank you for the grammar PSA.

Chrissy said...

Clara looks so so pretty in purple!!

Brittany Sciba said...

Love that Clara and Brian matched and love that Colby looks like he's winking in his picture! They are sooo cute! Yay for having so many wonderful things to celebrate this weekend! :) I also appreciate your grammar lesson. I must admit that the last name ending in s situation has confused me on more than one occasion, so I'm glad that you clarified it!