So the countdown is on: 2 weeks and 2 days until I go back to work. For pretty obvious reasons, I am not thrilled about this: someone else will get to spend all day with our babies, I won't be there to see all the cute things they do, we'll only get to spend a few hours with them awake during weekdays, etc. Then there's the fact that I have to start looking presentable and stop wearing my old sorority t-hirts every day, but that's really a secondary concern :).
However, I know there is no point in wallowing in self-pity about the whole thing so I have decided to try my best to be positive about the situation... "try" being the operative word there. Fake it 'til you make it, right?
So in the spirit of thinking positively, I have made a list of 10 reasons that I am looking forward to going back to work and starting Colby and Clara in daycare (in no particular order):
1. There will be less dog hair in the house. Since I've been at home, Noah and Buster have been inside all day and as a result, I feel like our floors are literally covered in their hair. They'll be back outside once I return to work, so the vacuum (and I) will very much appreciate a break.
2. Lower utility bills! Without people here all day using up electricity and water, these will go back to normal (well, normal for summer in Houston, anyway).
3. On a related note, we will go through toilet paper less quickly!
4. I'll have to change fewer diapers. I really don't mind changing diapers, but I'm happy to let someone else have the honor during the daytime hours. Same goes for cleaning up spit up.
5. Socialization for the babies- not only will they get to spend time around other babies their age, but they will also learn to interact with other adults. (I just need to get over my fear that they will start to prefer those other adults over me :)
6. Socialization for mommy! Don't get me wrong, I am very thankful for the time I've gotten to spend at home with Colby and Clara, but I sure do miss having regular adult interaction. I consider a lot of my co-workers to be friends, so it will be fun to see them on a regular basis again.
7. A little bit of "me" time: I can go to the bathroom whenever I want. I can answer e-mails as soon as I get them. I can eat lunch without a baby strapped to me. The possibilities are endless!
8. We'll all get into a consistent routine and schedule. We have somewhat of a routine now, but not so much a consistent schedule, so I don't always know what to expect from one day to the next. So if you know me and my love for predictability, this will be a welcome change.
9. I enjoy my job. I guess I should have put this at the top of the list... oops. Don't get me wrong- being a mommy is my favorite job now, but at least if I have to be away from them for 40+ hours a week, I'll be enjoying what I'm doing.
10. We'll all get to spend a little more time with Daddy. Brian and I will continue carpooling to work, and even though the commute to/from my office (which is across the street from the daycare) is only 20-30 minutes each way, that's an extra 40-60 minutes that we'll get to spend together every day, so hooray for that!
That's all I've got for now. If you've been there/done that with going back to work and sending your kiddos to daycare OR if you are just good at seeing the silver lining, please feel free to add to this list!