Background template

Friday, June 28, 2013

I'm gonna miss this

Well, folks, the day has come: today I return to work. Thankfully Fridays are half days at my office, so I really only have to leave the twins for a few hours today and Brian actually took the day off so they don't have to go to daycare until Monday. So there's that.

I promise that I'm going to continue looking on the bright side and attempting to be positive about this transition, but hopefully you'll indulge me at least for today as I reflect on all the things I will miss about staying at home with Colby and Clara:

- "Sleeping in" until 7 or 7:30 every morning... now I will be waking up at 5:15, and this means that if the babies decide they're hungry at 4:15 (as is often the case lately), then I'll be up for the day at 4:15 because I won't have enough time to go back to sleep afterwards!

- Staying in our pajamas for as long as we want- now we all 4 have to be dressed and out the door by 6:45 am!

- Wearing casual clothes- somehow I don't think t-shirts and workout shorts will count as "business casual" attire

- Colby getting to nap on his stomach. He sleeps in the Rock 'n Play at night, but pretty much every nap during the day is on his stomach, which, as I've mentioned before, I realize is a no-no. However, that's where he's the happiest and sleeps the most soundly! Unfortunately, the daycare isn't allowed to let babies sleep on their stomachs without a doctor's note (which we aren't going to bother asking for since there is no medical reason for it).

In fact, I'm generally going to miss the babies being able to have a "personalized" environment. It will be good for them to learn how to nap in the cribs at daycare and get used to a new setting, but I hate that they won't be at home where they're currently the most comfortable.


- Getting to FaceTime with Brian during the day




- Watching 10+ commercials for mayonnaise every day. Ha, ok, I'm not really going to miss this, but have you ever noticed how many commercials there are for different brands of mayo on daytime TV?! (Side note: I thought I was going to enjoy daytime TV but I was wrong. Even with cable, it is boring!)

- Play dates with friends

- Taking an absurd amount of pictures of the babies every day and posting them to every possible social media outlet



- Not having to pump... come next week, I'll be hooked up to that bad boy 3 times a day. And this also means we are about to have a lot more bottles and pump parts to wash every night :o/

- Seeing these sweet faces all day, every day... making them smile, watching them sleep, and even hearing them cry.









Stay-at-home-moms: I can now say from experience that you have quite possibly the toughest job out there, and I know some days it feels repetitive, lonely, and thankless, but I can also say from experience that it's the best job out there. So let me encourage you today to hug your little ones and be thankful that you don't have to miss a single moment with them (even the annoying ones)!

Thanks for all the well wishes, happy thoughts, and prayers during this transition- they (along with lots of cookies) will make this process a lot easier!

11 comments:

Natasha said...

Amanda -- I have said a lot of prayers for you since first starting to read your blog last summer (right as you were having your IVF). Today, and in the coming weeks, I will pray that your transition to work, and Clara and Colby's transition to daycare, is a smooth one.

And, as a stay at home mom who is having a tough week, thank you for the reminder that I don't have to miss these moments, even if sometimes I might want to :)

the blogivers said...

Those babies sure are lucky to have you as a mom! And I promise you that one day they will be grateful for everything you (and Brian) have done for them so that they could be here on this earth and be provided for. Glad you get to ease into the transition today and praying it goes as smoothly as possible from here on out!

Brittnie said...

Great reminder not to take the days at home for granted, even when the day is filled with lots of crying and spit up. Praying for you today!! Those babies are beyond lucky to have you as their momma!

Courtney Squillante said...

Awww I love much you are loving and rocking motherhood! Those babies are lucky to have you! Good luck during the transition phase! Xoxo

Erika said...

I just threw up in my mouth thinking about starting the day at 4:15am. But then I saw Clara's awesome-sauce hot pink rose onesie and I felt a lot better about life. If I ever have a daughter, I would like to ask you to please pass that one down to me. And I love you and hope that today goes smoothly and that Brian gets to change lots of dirty diapers. :)

Amanda said...

Thinking of you today... wishing you the fastest half day ever!

The Bird said...

Considering what you have already done (twins = challenging!), I have every confidence that you will do great balancing family and work. On the days that I was away, I can tell you that the evenings were even sweeter (not sure how that was possible, but that was the case!). Thinking of you!

Allena said...

I've been back at work (from baby #2) for a month and daycare begins Monday as well. It is still hard to face the transition, but having been there before, I know she will do great. My son LOVES his class and teachers and friends. It is definitely harder on the moms. Good luck!!! I know it will go great.

Brittany Sciba said...

I'm glad that the day seemed to go well!! :) I'll be praying for you all on Monday too! You are such a great mommy! :) Also, for the sake of your friends/readers/fans, please continue taking an "absurd amount of pictures" when you get home from work so we can all enjoy the cuteness of C&C! ;)

Katy said...

I am not going to lie, Monday will be tough. Leaving them in the care of others is tough...but I PROMISE it gets easier. I cried the whole day after I left the boys in day care for the first time. But when I went to pick them up and they were happy and safe...it made all the difference. Trust your decision in day care providers, trust your sweet babies, trust your own strength and most importantly, trust the Lord to watch over your precious babies while you are away.

Good luck on Monday!!! You will all do amazing!

the blogivers said...

Just looking at the pictures in this post again and thinking about how much I want to squeeze them! I love it when they move past the scrawny newborn phase and fill out more. Punkins!