Background template

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Take what you can get

1. We had a great time in Dallas for Memorial Day weekend! You can see pictures and read a recap on Allison's blog. I'm copying two of them below because they were too cute not to share again:



2. The twins have been sleeping much better! We typically do bedtime/feed them around 7:30 (which ends up taking about an hour because I think they must know it's the last meal of the day and therefore they like to have marathon eating sessions) and lately they have only been waking up once (around 1:30 am) between then and 6:30 am. Of course we'll be very excited when there are no regular middle of the night wake-ups, but for now, we'll take it!

3. Clara fell off the couch yesterday while I was changing Colby's diaper. She was ok (thank God), but I have still not recovered. I have discovered that there is no guilt quite like mommy guilt!

4. If #3 didn't seal our fate as parents of the year, we realized at 6 am this morning that at some point between 3-6 am, the monitor to the babies' nursery turned off. Awesome. 

5. Thanks to the generosity of several friends and family members, we have yet to (a) make dinner for ourselves or (b) buy diapers during the past 8 weeks. Thanks, everyone!

6. I literally have nothing to talk about that does not involve the babies. In fact, I find myself even forgetting that I'm turning 30 tomorrow, and if you know me and my love for birthdays (particularly my own), you know that's pretty bananas. 

(Speaking of bananas, we are way pumped about the new season of Arrested Development. Maybe when the twins are 10 we will have time to watch it.)

7. On that note, before the twins were born, I sincerely believed that I was going to have free time during the day for myself. Don't get me wrong, there are occasions when they are both sleeping or occupied, but usually I have to spend that time doing essential things like eating or getting poop stains out of baby pajamas (I'm looking at you, Colby). (I clarified "baby pajamas" so you wouldn't think I was referring to mine or Brian's pajamas.)

8. The end.

11 comments:

The Bird said...

I don't even feel like I have much "free time" with one kiddo, ha! If I get to do anything, she is in a baby carrier or sitting in the doorway of whatever room I am in (i.e. bathroom while I shower, kitchen while I cook) pretty much whether she is awake or asleep.

I think the baby falling thing has to happen to all parents of twins...happened to 2 other parental sets of twins that I personally know. All four parents are great parents and the twins (now 3.5 and 3 years) are just fine and don't remember their trip to the floor during infancy :)

Hahaha! The pajama part of this post made me laugh! I am glad you and Brian are at least rested enough to keep control of your own bodily functions :)

Happy early birthday! It is easy for me to remember yours and Allison's b-day because you are birthday buddies with my husband! Although, he is a baby and younger than all of us (thirty is next year for him!).

P.S. You look beautiful in every picture I have seen of you...how do you look SO GOOD with your busy new life style? Teach me your ways :) I love how Colby is gazing up at you, Clara is looking at her brother and you look so radiant and happy in the pic from Memorial Day weekend!

Erika said...

I am particularly impressed by #5! Way to go, friends & fam! And I agree with Heidi- you look goooorg!!!

Anonymous said...

Don't beat yourself up about #3. It happens (at least once) to every momma. My daughter fell off her changing table when she was five months old. Luckily she landed on her hands and knees, and looked up at me and grinned! Now she's a four year preschooler reading at a third grade level :). Have a great day!

Sarah said...

You look fabulous! And sounds like you've got this thing down!

~Stephanie said...

I have five children and three have hit the floor at some point, although all those weren't on Mommy's watch. ;) It happens.

Kate said...

I agree with the other comments, re: Every baby gets dropped / rolls off furniture, etc at some point! Because I am an extra amazing mom, I have both dropped Leighton (while I was sitting on the floor, so it was like an entire 4 inches but it was on hardwood so I still felt HORRIBLE) and "allowed" her to roll off our bed. So far, she doesn't appear to be a budding serial killer or meth addict :)

You look great!

Brittnie said...

I am super impressed that they are sleeping so well! Teach me your ways so that whenever we have baby number two, I won't spend the first 6 months feeling like a complete zombie (and failure)!!!

And I agree with everyone else. .. you look beautiful!

the blogivers said...

1. You're welcome.
2. Yay!
3. Please refer to my email again for reassurance that you are not alone.
4. And you all still survived! Imagine how they ever did it without monitors...
5. I can't take any credit for dinners, but I can take a very small fraction of credit for diapers, so you're kind of welcome.
6. Ah, now that you mention it, I definitely remember feeling that way on our 28th birthday when Davis was only a month old. Hopefully you will remember by the time I get there!
7. Maybe it's time to give the babies chores to do?

Courtney Squillante said...

Um, AMAZING sleepers!!! And that monitor thing has hot to be the worst feeling in the world ever. Side note- you will ALWAYS hear your babies crying. Even if the monitor shuts off and they are upstairs across the house with a door closed and your TV on, you WILL hear them. It's some sort of Murphy's Law. I'm not saying it's happened to me though.... :)

Natasha said...

Yay for numbers 2 & 5!!! Sam rolled off the bed once but Rachel managed to do it twice while I was right there with her. sigh.

Brittany Sciba said...

I'm so impressed that they are already to the point of only waking up once a night! That's so awesome!! The monitor thing happened to us a couple of times too...it's the weirdest/scariest feeling!! Yay for your birthday tomorrow!!! :) Also, I LOOOOVE the picture of you holding them on the couch! It needs to go in a frame! There will come a day when their clothes aren't covered in poop and it's such a lovely feeling. Of course, they are usually covered in other mysterious substances by that point, but still! :)