- Last week, when the twins were likely right in the middle of their 6-week growth spurt, things got terrible. And by "things," I mostly mean "sleep." On Friday night, we were up attempting to get Colby to sleep from 10 pm-3 am. FIVE HOURS OF CRYING, PEOPLE. Eventually we got him to sleep, but of course Clara woke up hungry one hour later.
When I got up for the day on Saturday, I had only gotten 3 hours of sleep the night before, and they weren't even consecutive. I spent a lot of Saturday crying. I was certain, however, that Saturday night would be better, and I made sure to be ready for bed so that I could go to sleep right after their bedtime around 8 pm. Well I'll give you one guess as to which baby was STILL crying (even after a car ride around the neighborhood) at 11 pm.
By the grace of God, both babies did go to sleep and stayed asleep until it was time to eat again. And (knock on wood), for the past several nights, things have been going much better. We still don't get more than 2-3 hours of sleep at a time, but it is much more manageable than it was.
I don't really have any point in sharing this other than so that I'll be able to look back at this post in a few months and be thankful that we survived this season. I told Brian the other day that it is pretty amusing to me that I ever thought that I understood what the word "tired" meant prior to having these babies. I had no idea.
- Relatedly, we moved the twins to their nursery last weekend. I thought this was going to be really sad/hard to do, but I was so desperate for all 4 of us to get some rest that when they finally fell asleep and we left them in there for the first time, I ran gleefully across the house to our room and didn't look back!
- We're taking our first road trip with Colby and Clara this weekend! We're headed up to Dallas to visit my parents and introduce the babies to some of their extended family. I have a packing list approximately one mile long and I am going to be really amazed if there is any room left in the car for Brian's and my bags by the time we're done packing all of their stuff. Consider this: for 3 days, we will need approximately 60 diapers for the twins. So special.
- I may not be getting to indulge in sleep these days, but I am most certainly indulging in food. It is not uncommon for me to tell Brian that I'm in the mood for a bacon cheeseburger at 2:30 in the morning. Unfortunately our hands are usually full at that time, so I have yet to follow through on any of these middle-of-the-night cravings.
I think I am going to become a trainer on The Biggest Loser and my only strategy will be getting all of the contestants (which will have to be female, obviously) to nurse twins.
- Mine and Allison's 30th birthday is now on the 10-day weather forecast... get excited!
And to close, I'll leave you with two pictures that miraculously have not already been posted on facebook or instagram:
Colby, being silly after a bath
Clara, who apparently takes bath time much more seriously