Background template

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Catching up via bullet points

After reading the first (lengthy) bullet point below, you will hopefully understand why I have simply not had the energy or mental capacity to blog lately. Nonetheless, I'm here with an update on the life and times of the Joiner family, so here you go:

- Last week, when the twins were likely right in the middle of their 6-week growth spurt, things got terrible. And by "things," I mostly mean "sleep." On Friday night, we were up attempting to get Colby to sleep from 10 pm-3 am. FIVE HOURS OF CRYING, PEOPLE. Eventually we got him to sleep, but of course Clara woke up hungry one hour later.

When I got up for the day on Saturday, I had only gotten 3 hours of sleep the night before, and they weren't even consecutive. I spent a lot of Saturday crying. I was certain, however, that Saturday night would be better, and I made sure to be ready for bed so that I could go to sleep right after their bedtime around 8 pm. Well I'll give you one guess as to which baby was STILL crying (even after a car ride around the neighborhood) at 11 pm.

By the grace of God, both babies did go to sleep and stayed asleep until it was time to eat again. And (knock on wood), for the past several nights, things have been going much better. We still don't get more than 2-3 hours of sleep at a time, but it is much more manageable than it was.

I don't really have any point in sharing this other than so that I'll be able to look back at this post in a few months and be thankful that we survived this season. I told Brian the other day that it is pretty amusing to me that I ever thought that I understood what the word "tired" meant prior to having these babies. I had no idea.

- Relatedly, we moved the twins to their nursery last weekend. I thought this was going to be really sad/hard to do, but I was so desperate for all 4 of us to get some rest that when they finally fell asleep and we left them in there for the first time, I ran gleefully across the house to our room and didn't look back!

- We're taking our first road trip with Colby and Clara this weekend! We're headed up to Dallas to visit my parents and introduce the babies to some of their extended family. I have a packing list approximately one mile long and I am going to be really amazed if there is any room left in the car for Brian's and my bags by the time we're done packing all of their stuff. Consider this: for 3 days, we will need approximately 60 diapers for the twins. So special.

- I may not be getting to indulge in sleep these days, but I am most certainly indulging in food. It is not uncommon for me to tell Brian that I'm in the mood for a bacon cheeseburger at 2:30 in the morning. Unfortunately our hands are usually full at that time, so I have yet to follow through on any of these middle-of-the-night cravings.

I think I am going to become a trainer on The Biggest Loser and my only strategy will be getting all of the contestants (which will have to be female, obviously) to nurse twins.

- Mine and Allison's 30th birthday is now on the 10-day weather forecast... get excited!

And to close, I'll leave you with two pictures that miraculously have not already been posted on facebook or instagram:


Colby, being silly after a bath

Clara, who apparently takes bath time much more seriously


12 comments:

Natasha said...

Oh Amanda. I so wish there was something I could do. I will pray that you get some longer stretches of sleep. Hang in there. It will get better. Eventually.

Courtney Squillante said...

Ohhhhh lady! I'm so sorry! Sleep WILL come- it just might be awhile! Hang in there- I promise this stage doesn't last forever!!!

Erika said...

Dude, that sounds scary...the no-sleep thing. I hope it gets better soon. BUT at least I can offer you a valuable packing/traveling tip: they sell diapers in Dallas! So save the space and just buy some when you get there!! I hope it ends up being a good weekend of traveling...Matt and I often notice that when we go away for the weekend, between our stuff and Lola's stuff we already fill up our entire car. We try to imagine where we'd be stowing a pack-n-play, stroller, baby suitcase, etc., if we had to...it isn't pretty. So have fun with that and take pictures of your packed SUV!!

kimberly ann said...

At least they're cute! I have no relevant parenting advice, nor will I ever claim to understand. I will, however, continue to remind you how adorable your children are. :)

Sarah said...

You are right when you called it a season. It will end. It lasts FOREVER while you are in it though. Blog about it all you want, your children will read it and know how much they owe you some day! :)

the blogivers said...

All I have to say is I hope all 3 of our children behave extra well for our birthday weekend. No sleep deprivation and no tantrums allowed!

Amanda said...

Erika's comment- HAHAHA! I would never ever have thought of that! I would have driven to Dallas with diapers stacked to the roof and never thought of that!

What's up with twins and un-unified sleep schedules? Isn't it a twin thing to think alike? I mean, when Clara first thinks, "hmmm, I could take a nap", shouldn't Colby be like five seconds behind her? Bummer. Hang in there my friend, I believe there are better, sleep-filled nights ahead.

Brittnie said...

I was going to say the same thing about diapers! When we traveled across the USA to Vermont (when Clara was 5 weeks old. . . don't get me started)we packed enough to get us through our travels and bought the rest there (wipes too).

And I am not sure this will provide you with any hope, but just know that we are living proof that there will come a day when you will sleep again. . . like. . . all night long!

Brittany Sciba said...

I'm so glad that the last few nights have been better! Can't wait to hear all about your Dallas trip...your car will be PACKED for sure! It's amazing how much babies need!! Yay for your birthday!! :) Love the pics of course. :) Hooded towel pics are the BEST!

Allison said...

It does get better - sleep wise and otherwise...praying rest comes sooner than later!

Tessa said...

I'm glad you still haven't lost your sense of humor, despite the exhaustion! My husband and I are expecting twins on Christmas after our first round of IVF and I'm still in panic mode. I look forward to reading your updates in the coming months!

Amy said...

Your babies are ADORABLE! I hope the sleep situation improves for you. I agree that you should save the space & buy diapers in Dallas. Have a great trip!