Background template

Friday, May 10, 2013

A Mother's Day reflection

With Mother's Day approaching, I can't help but reflect on Mother's Day 2012 and how (obviously) vastly different this year will be from last. You can read about it in this post and this one, but to summarize, we found out that IUI #1 failed the day before Mother's Day last year.

To say it was one of the lowest points of infertility for us would be an understatement. We did muster up the courage to give a second IUI a try later that month, which as you know, was also unsuccessful. The next month, we decided to give IVF a try, and, well, you know how that turned out!

Anyway, I wrote a post right after we started IVF about hope, and here's an excerpt that seems appropriate now:

And it was then that I was reminded of a passage that Brian had e-mailed to me literally just the day before:

"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland." (Isaiah 43:18-19)

Past = 2.5 years of disappointment
Wasteland = my uterus
New thing = hopefully a baby (or two)

It is tough for me to remember, but I have to constantly remind myself NOT to live in the past, because God is not limited by our former OR our current circumstances. A friend recently shared Romans 15:13 with me along with a quote from a book she is reading that says the same thing:

"Hope always points to the future. This title of God assures us that in Him our future can always be dramatically different from our past."

I was so encouraged by that and hope you are too, because I know I'm not the only one who is hoping for a future that looks NOTHING like the past.


Pretty cool how fitting that is this weekend as I celebrate a Mother's Day that is dramatically different than Mother's Days of the past. I am thankful for yet another reminder that God is able to do immeasurably more than we could ask or imagine, and hope that my story serves as a source of encouragement and hope for those of you that are waiting for God to make a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland for you.

Happy Mother's Day to you all, whether you are a mom, have a mom, or aspire to one day be a mom.


8 comments:

the blogivers said...

Well said, sis. Happy first Mother's Day to you! (Don't tell Noah and Buster I said that; they might be offended to think they didn't "count" in the past.)

Brittnie said...

Love this and agreed, very well said!

Happy 1st Mother's Day to you!! While C&C can't tell you yet, I know they appreciate you more than you know!

Erika said...

Love you, friend, and so thankful for your encouragement and sweet babies. Enjoy MD- you deserve it!! :)

Courtney Squillante said...

Yay!! Happy first Mother's Day!! Xoxo

Natasha said...

Happy first Mother's Day to you!

Gillian said...

So well written! Happy first Mother's Day to you!

Jessica Goodman said...

I am SO happy for you!!! So so so happy. Every time I see your facebook posts, I smile. What a display of God's glory!!! Maybe someday I will get to meet C & C, but until then, you are all in my thoughts more than you know.

HoagsandKisses said...

I love this post! So encouraging!!! And that picture makes me so happy!