Background template

Monday, April 15, 2013

Colby's and Clara's debut

I totally thought I was going to be one of those people who had it together immediately after giving birth. I had no doubt in my mind that I would have a cute blog post ready to go for Monday morning announcing the babies' arrival. As you probably noticed, that did not happen. I am officially eating my words, because it takes me about 300 times longer to do pretty much everything these days!

Nonetheless, I wanted to make sure to share the story of Colby's and Clara's debut with you, both for your benefit and mine in having it written down.

On Friday, April 5th, Brian and I checked into the hospital at 9 am, and within 2 hours, we were checked in, I was given an IV and epidural, and the c-section had been started! At 11:25 am, Brian's and my lives were forever changed when Colby Wayne Joiner and Clara Lane Joiner made their entrance into the world.

The doctor showed each of them to us for what I'm certain was less than a second, and then whisked them away to be weighed, checked out, etc. It was at that point that Brian was told he could go join the babies and I was left on my own (minus the room full of doctors and nurses). I thought I would be sad for him to leave me, but thanks to my friend, the epidural, I was fairly out of it, so I could honestly not have cared less!

After sewing me up, they wheeled me back to our room to recover and I remember that even though I wanted to see the babies, Brian, and our families, what I wanted to do most was take a nap. Ha! And that was honestly how I spent most of the rest of the day- we had visitors up until it was time to go to sleep that night, but I would be lying if I said that I remembered a single conversation that I had with any of them. Apparently I was repeating myself and slurring my words a little here and there (when I wasn't falling asleep mid-conversation), so that's special.

Anyway, when Brian came back to the recovery room, he let me know that Colby was doing fine and would be brought back to us shortly, but that Clara was having a little trouble breathing and would need to spend some time being monitored in the NICU. I was worried and upset, but again, the drugs prevented me from being coherent enough to really sense the weight of it.

Brian tells me now how worried he was about our little girl, but thankfully he put on a brave face for me when we were actually in the hospital and didn't let on. Clara ended up staying in the NICU for the longest 48 hours of our lives, initially for breathing issues and then later for eating issues (and they had the nerve to call my sweet baby "floppy"... rude). We were able to go visit her and help feed her, but that was the extent of it.

I will say in hindsight that it was probably nice for us to just have Colby to tend to for the first couple of days, as it sort of felt like we were able to "warm up" to the whole parenting thing with one baby before throwing the second into the mix. But nonetheless, it is pretty darn depressing to not get to hold your own daughter for the first 9 hours of her life and to have to be separated from her for 2 whole days.

The whole hospital stay (Friday-Monday) is really still a blur. What I do remember is that we had a lot of wonderful visitors and that we got very little sleep at night since nurses and doctors were coming in seemingly at every hour to torture monitor me or the babies.

I will also always remember just how quickly and naturally Brian went into "dad" mode. He took such good care of all 3 of us even though I know he was completely and utterly exhausted. He was swaddling, changing diapers, making regular visits to the NICU, fetching things for me, and tolerating my 3 am hormonal breakdowns about not being able to change my own socks, all without a single complaint. Colby and Clara, I hope you know just how lucky you are to have him as your daddy!

Clara "graduated" from the NICU on Sunday (thankfully before our families had left so they were all able to hold her), and less than 24 hours later, we were discharged from the hospital and headed home with both of our sweet babies in tow. I'll try to put together a separate post about our first week at home (spoiler alert: lots of eating, lots of crying (from me, not the babies), and very little sleeping).

For now, enjoy this video that we put together with pictures and video footage from our first couple of days as a family of 4 (sorry it's a little long... your reward is some very cute video footage of hiccups from both babies at the end):



PS- If you want to see more regular updates/pictures of the babies, feel free to add me as a friend on facebook or follow me on Instagram (@amandajoiner)! 

20 comments:

Party of Three Heads said...

Loved ths slide show! I couldn't help but cry happy tears for you. Beautiful story, just beautiful!

Aubrey said...

What a blessing! Thanks for the happy tears this morning. And for visual proof that I can't give up on my infertility.

So glad everyone is home and happy and healthy!

Brittnie said...

What a cute slideshow. . . I'm impressed. Makes me want to go back and put one together just for fun. :)

Oh and just for the record - if you faint after giving birth, and then almost faint again a few hours later, they let you stay in one of the delivery rooms instead of making you move to the post partum slums. Just saying. :)

Verna said...

Aww! Congratulations!!

Erika said...

I can't believe I just watched a 13 minute video. I must love you a lot. And think your kids are pretty dang cute. Nice music choices, too!! :)

L said...

I just sat and cried through that entire video...so special, thanks for posting and hope you and the babies are happy and healing!! Thinking of you...

the blogivers said...

Yay babies!! I had to take a break in the middle of the slideshow to go eat breakfast and get dressed, but I watched the whooooole thing. I'm glad you were able to get Mom to video you leaving the hospital and arriving at home - I wish we had that with Davis!!

Becky said...

I think that was the first 13 minute video I've watched entirely! There was so much baby cuteness, happiness, sweetness!! The part with Brian talking to Clara while she was in the NICU just melted my heart. I'm so happy your babies are with you now! Congrats again!!

Evan, Courtney, Porter & Eli said...

So many sweet memories and funny ones too on this video :)

Katie & Dave said...

soooo sweet!! I cried at the video of Clara coming to your room. So precious!
I'm so happy you have your sweet babies home!

Kaitlyn (Keeping up with Kaitlyn) said...

They are adorable!!! Now following you on instagram!

The Bird said...

Oh my goodness! I loved seeing all of the happy faces visiting and celebrating with you and Brian! What a sweet and loved family you are :)

Natasha said...

What an amazing video! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I cried a bunch of times. Happy tears are the best :)

Terrie said...

Such a sweet a touching story. It made me tear up a few times. I am so happy for both of you and for us as well. Watching them grow will be so much fun!

Brittany Sciba said...

Loved reading the story of C&C's birthday and LOVED the video! :) Grear job!!

Bren said...

Crying happy tears for you guys! The hiccups at the end are so cute! I can't get over how beautiful the babies are. Good job!

Heather said...

And I just thought the gender reveal video got me.. My eyes are literally swollen now from crying and my husband thinks I am nuts, but I am just about to watch it again because it's so great! So excited for you and Brian, and Colby and Clara are so gorgeous. Can't wait to see those two (and you two) again (:

Sarah said...

GREAT GREAT slideshow! Can't wait to see the newborn pics!

Beth said...

We stayed in the l&d room that night and whole next day - while the space was awesome, the bed we finally moved into in postpartum was much moe comfortable (and tv was better). My nurse on l&d side did add an egg crate which helped, but sleeping and laboring in that awful bed killed my back!

Katy said...

Not sure how I missed the video initially.....but I just watched and and LOVED it! You guys are so cute and truly, truly blessed!