Background template

Friday, March 29, 2013

A letter to Colby and Clara

Believe it or not, I actually wrote this earlier in the week and scheduled it to post today, not knowing Allison would be posting a letter to the twins just yesterday. I'm sure you are all completely shocked that we had the same idea relatively close together... we never do things like that ;o)

Dear Colby and Clara,

First of all, I'm sorry that this isn't a handwritten letter. The reality is that Third Trimester Mommy is a lot less motivated and energetic than Normal Mommy... that, and the fact that the blog is my writing outlet of choice. Hopefully you'll forgive me.

It is hard for me to believe that in less than a week (Lord willing), Daddy and I will be holding you in our arms. While I'm sure I will miss witnessing your dance parties/twin fights in my tummy, I can't wait to see what your sweet faces look like (and not on an ultrasound screen for a change). I can't wait to know that you are finally here with us, safe and sound.

And when I say "finally," you should know that we've been waiting for you two to arrive for more than 9 months. In fact, it's safe to say that we've been waiting for over 3 years now. And while some points we waited less patiently (and more painfully) than others, I can say without a doubt that every second, every disappointment, every heartache, every setback, every tear, and every dollar was worth it.

Although I'm thankful that it's behind us now, I hope that Daddy and I never forget just how long and hard we prayed and fought for you. I hope that in the middle of the night, when you're both screaming and we're exhausted and not sure what to do, that we remember just how desperately we begged God for you.

On a more shallow note, I really hope you're cute. The good news is that because we're your parents, we'll have no idea even if you aren't... but surely you will be :) I also hope you're good sleepers that truly understand the value of getting in those 8 hours each night. And although everyone assures me that it's impossible, I am secretly holding out hope that you'll both be born potty-trained.

I know you're going to fight with each other, and there will be days when you each wish you could have been born an only child. But you won't mean it. Being a twin is one of the most fun things ever (trust me, I speak from experience) and one I hope you'll never take for granted.

There's a pretty good chance that you're going to think Daddy and I are weird. I just hope that you share our same quirky sense of humor and that you learn to embrace our weirdness... imaginary friends, made up song lyrics, and all.

Most of all, I hope you know just how loved you are. Daddy and I have loved you since the moment we knew you existed, as have so many family members, friends, and even strangers! But most importantly, God knew about you both long before any of the rest of us ever did and He has loved you all along.

We're praying for you, sweet babies, every second of every day, now and always. Can't wait to see you soon!

All my love,
Mommy

12 comments:

the blogivers said...

(Sorry again for the timing of my post yesterday!)

Sweet letter for a couple of sweet babies :) And I am SURE they will be cute - us Nelson kids are 5 for 5 now, right?

Amanda said...

Umm… I'm crying. So sweet Amanda! I hope for the EXACT same things for you and the twins! I can't believe that they'll be here in ONE WEEK!!! It really seems like just a month of two ago that I read you were pregnant. I'm sure time passes a little different when you are the one carrying the twins, but still. I pray that labor and delivery is a calm, loving, stress free experience and that both babies are healthy in every way!

Kristina said...

You are going to be such a good mommy! Also, just remember...once they become teenagers you are 100% well equipped from us wonderful (and at times completely stubborn) girls you poured into! :) I cannot wait to see your precious babies!

Aubrey said...

Just as a tear or two was brought to my eyes while reading, you lightened it up and made me smile. This is so beautiful. And your little twins are SO deserved. I'm so happy that God gave you and Brian TWO of his miracles :)

Becky said...

This is so sweet!! I totally agree that being a twin is the absolute best. As my brother and I have gotten older we definitely appreciate each other more so I have faith Clara and Colby won't take it for granted either! The boy-girl twin bond is pretty awesome. My brother has been always been protective of me and some of our funniest stories come from it! :)

Brenda said...

So, so sweet!!! These babies are more loved than they will ever know! Thank you for sharing your heartfelt letter... definitely keep it handy for the times when you're struggling with potty training or what not. Oh, wait you don't have to worry about that, if they got the memo they shouldn't even need diapers. Just kidding :)

Erika said...

This is so sweet!! I'm confident that C&C will be every bit as weird as you and Brian, which is why my 'happy being born!' gift to them/you is to start a fund for their future therapy needs. ;)

Brittany Sciba said...

Sweet, sweet, sweet! Love them already and am SO excited to meet them soon!!! :)

Ruth said...

Amanda, I am touched by your beautifully written letter to Colby and Clara. I've been following your blog for quite some time now, through both the disappointments and the joys. Just wanted to say how very happy I am for you and Brian that the day you have waited for so long is almost here. Blessings to all of you!

The Bird said...

Beautiful letter! And I think it is pretty much a guarentee that they will be super cute...look at every childhood pic of their mom and dad (well, at least all of the ones that have been featured in this blog!). I have only been able to hold my little one in my arms for 10 weeks so far, but I am confident in saying that C&C will be cherished, even when they keep you up all night and mske messes in freshly applied diapers! I know my husband and I both thank God every day and cannot believe how lucky we are! Prayers and love to all of you!172

Brittnie said...

So sweet...

While you guys might get frustrated or overwhelmed at times with the lack of sleep or never ending crying (hopefully not!), I honestly think you will have a different perspective and outlook after going through the 3 yrs of infertility. It really does put things in a different light, even when you're running on less than 2 hrs of sleep :).

Natasha said...

Awww!!! This made me cry. What a sweet letter. And I'm sure Colby and Clara will understand that it wasn't handwritten. Not much is these days :)