Background template

Monday, January 7, 2013

Ultrasound update

Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement and prayers for this afternoon's appointment!

We didn't get bad news, but we didn't get great news. Colby is measuring on track and estimated to weigh 1 pound, 8 ounces, which puts him around the 28th percentile. Clara is still measuring about a week behind and is estimated to weigh 1 pound, 4 ounces, which puts her under the 5th percentile.

Crazy to think that 4 ounces would make such a difference, but when you're that tiny, it's pretty significant! The good news is that they are both growing, and that the discordance between them didn't increase (18% at the last appointment and 17% at this appointment).

They both have a great amount of amniotic fluid, so that's a plus. They also checked Clara's umbilical cord to make sure the bloodflow was good from her placenta, which it is. So at this point, there is not any obvious reason as to why she is not as big.

We will go back again in 3 weeks for another ultrasound, and they will also do biophysical profiles on both babies, which will basically measure each baby's heart rate, muscle tone, movement, breathing, and the amount of amniotic fluid.

Until then, we just wait and I take it easy. The perinatologist also suggested that I start taking some extra folic acid, in addition to the extra iron I will be taking after today's call from my OB letting me know my iron count was a little low (they were supposed to call by Friday so I thought I was in the clear, but apparently not... argh!). Other than that, not much I can do.

In the scheme of things, I know this is not terrible news. And I also know this is fairly common, especially with boy/girl twin pregnancies. That doesn't make me worry any less, however, and it is frustrating feeling like I am just holding my breath for 3 weeks until the next appointment. And while I appreciate that the doctor is not emotionally reactive one way or the other, it would be nice if she would just tell me it was no big deal and not to worry about it.

Anyway, that's all I have to report at this point. We will continue to pray for both of them to grow and stay in there as long as they can, and we will trust that just as it always is, God's timing with their arrival will be perfect.

In the meantime, I will try my best to be unreasonably lazy (sorry, Brian) and have as few meltdowns about significant issues like one of the car seats we registered for going out of stock as possible (sorry again, Brian). Thanks for reading and thanks for praying!

"When I am afraid, I put my trust in You." - Psalm 56:3

7 comments:

Erika said...

Well since I don't have any new insight since we last talked 15 minutes ago, I will just say GROW CLARA GROW and also one of my friend just pinned 'cute owl' coloring sheets for grown-ups on Pinterest and that would probably be a good thing for you to work on while you're lazing around the couch.

Brittany Sciba said...

Praying for all of you, especially baby Clara! By the way, I didn't comment on the 24 week post yet, but you look beautiful! :)

Leah said...

I have been absent in the blog world! Thanks for updating... I will pray for baby Clara and for you guys!

the blogivers said...

Being pregnant with one baby is tough for most people, so I think you are perfectly normal to be feeling overwhelmed with 2. While I was hoping for great news like you, I will thank God we didn't get bad news!

Amanda Greavu said...

Thankful for no bad news, thankful she is still growing, but praying for GREAT news next time. Grow Clara, grow!

The Bird said...

Glad the news wasn't bad, but I'll be praying for Clara to grow, Grow, GROW between now and your next ultrasound. Get some rest! I cannot imagine the work that goes into growing TWO babies!

Natasha said...

I'm also glad the news wasn't bad. And I am praying too. Grow Clara Grow.