It feels strange to be starting off a new year with a positive outlook, after spending the last 3 new years in a prolonged infertility-induced slump. And I am all too aware that so many of you (my sis included) are starting this new year in a similar slump. My prayer for you is that God would meet each of you where you are at this moment, and that the new year would bring a renewed sense of hope, regardless of what your current circumstances might suggest.
Sometimes I think it's a little cliche to treat the new year as a "fresh start," because really, it's not like God's action (or inaction) has anything to do with the date on the calendar. However, much like the ending and beginning of each day, I don't think it's any coincidence that God designed our concept of time to operate like it does. And just like Lamentations reminds us that His compassions are new every morning, I hope we can all be encouraged by the fact that they are new every year as well.
Anyway, now that this post has become much more serious than I anticipated, allow me to wrap up with a re-cap of some of the highs and lows from 2012:
- Resuming fertility treatment and embarking on year #3 of our unsuccessful efforts to get pregnant
- Undergoing a hysteroscopy (that almost wasn't covered by insurance)
- Failed IUI #1
- Failed IUI #2
- Getting hand, foot, and mouth disease
- Resorting to IVF
- Allison and Wade losing their baby
- No abnormal findings on the hysteroscopy (AND it was eventually covered by insurance)
- Davis turning 1!
- Celebrating 5 years of marriage
- Trip to South Padre Island
- Finding out that we were FINALLY pregnant!
- ... and then finding out it was with twins
- ... and then finding out we were having a boy AND a girl
- Babymoon Part I to New Orleans
I have always found that in times when I am uncertain about what lies ahead, it helps to look back and remember ways in which God was faithful in the past. And despite the many lows that 2012 brought, as you are all aware, it brought many highs for our family as well... highs which would not have been possible without some of those low points!
So with that, cheers to putting another year behind us and a getting a fresh start with a new one!
"I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry." -Psalm 40:1