Background template

Monday, January 28, 2013

How did we used to spend our weekends?

We now have another productive weekend of preparing for the babies under our belts, and this time I even have pictures as proof. 


On that note, can I count a spa day as preparing for the babies... and as productive? I'm going to go with yes. I headed to the Woodhouse Spa after work on Friday afternoon for a prenatal massage and pedicure. 
Here I am sporting my robe, shortly before I went to the waiting room where I was greeted with a cold beverage of my choosing (ok I chose water) and a heated neck pillow. I'm going to have to get my hands on one of those pillows and then somehow coerce Brian into heating it up and bringing it to me after dinner every night...

The prenatal massage was great, and for those that were wondering how it works, I laid on my back propped up with a wedge pillow, and then rotated from one side to the other for the back massage. It was admittedly not as relaxing since I didn't get to lay on my stomach (my preferred sleeping position!), but she did make a lot of progress working out a knot in my left shoulder that has developed from sleeping almost exclusively on my left side, so I was thankful for that. 

I don't have any pictures from the actual pedicure, but here's a great shot I took right before getting out of the car to go to Target afterward. I picked what I thought was a pretty basic pink color but the lady doing my nails commented twice about how unique of a choice it was... anyone else think painting your toes pink 3 weeks before Valentine's Day is unique? Me neither.

All that to say, it was a relaxing way to kick of the weekend- thanks, Brian, for the thoughtful Christmas gift!

Friday evening was spent going through boxes of old baby clothes that my mom gave me to see if there were any we wanted to use for Colby and Clara. This task proved a little more overwhelming than I anticipated as I'm fairly certain my mom kept every single article of clothing my siblings and I ever wore. It was a fun trip down memory lane, although sometimes mildly terrifying, as was the case when we came across this jumper that my brother wore:

Lion or Medusa? You be the judge.

And speaking of throwbacks from the 80s, Brian finished painting the dresser and changing table this weekend! These happened to be pieces of furniture in Allison's and my nursery back in the day, which is why you might not be surprised to learn that the dresser was this color:

That would be the matching yellow crib to the right, which we opted not to keep. It's all Jenny Lind, though, as are the two cribs we are using, so it all still goes together. 

The cribs are actually a cherry wood color, but we opted to paint the dresser white. The changing table was actually already white, so Brian gave it a new coat but it's staying white as well.

Here's a picture of Brian hard at work. Meanwhile, I sat inside the house twiddling my thumbs and feeling generally unhelpful. When I told Brian that I felt like I wasn't being productive, he reminded me that growing two babies was productive enough and told me to go rest. Reluctantly, I obliged :)

Oh, and I did also go to the new/pregnant moms tea hosted by our local Parents of Multiples group, and even though there were only 6 of us (only one other of which was pregnant- with triplets!), it was still nice to get to know some moms who have been there/done that with more than one baby... and survived to talk about it! One of them had just had her twins 2 months prior, so I was extra encouraged that she was (a) dressed, (b) outside of the house, and (c) sane. 

Other baby updates: we have our next ultrasound with the perinatologist tomorrow afternoon and I would be lying if I said I wasn't fretting about it. We are hopeful that both babies have grown and are continuing to develop appropriately, but in particular that Clara's growth hasn't slowed down at all. I'll be sure to let you all know how it went, but prayers for peace between now and then and for a positive appointment are greatly appreciated!

14 comments:

The Durbin Blog said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend! I was really hoping for the massage table that had the belly cut out for you to lay on your tummy but it sounds like you got taken care of just fine (; Praying for your doctor appointment tomorrow!

Brittnie said...

Your brothers jumper!! WOW. :)

Brian is right - you are working ten times harder growing those two babies, so I think you win big time in the productivity category!

Praying friend!

the blogivers said...

Excited to see the nursery progress next time I come! And praying for the babes, of course!

Erika said...

Haaaaaa--- i definitely think Colby needs to sport that lion jumper. Hilarious! I wish you could find a picture of your brother wearing it. What were people thinking in the 80s?? Did lions look like that back then? So many questions. Anyway- your massage and pedi sound amazing, wish I coulda joined you!!

Amanda Greavu said...

Wow! I would NEVER have said that was a lion. I mean, now that you say it, I see a tail, but that just looks like a terrified child wearing an oversized bow tie! Hahaha! I hope there were some equally awesome pieces from your childhood to keep for Clara!

Praying for peace to settle over you today and stay with you all of tomorrow! Praying that little girl is growing big and strong!

Brittany Sciba said...

What a great weekend! Yay for an ultrasound tomorrow! That will be fun! Praying for Clara's growth!

All Boxed Up said...

Like everyone else WOW on the 80's lion outfit. You must take at least one picture of Colby in it and share.
Your weekend sounds awesome and very productive. Growing babies is tough work. I was always a belly sleeper before baby and now I feel odd not sleeping on my left side. I guess being paranoid about sleeping on my left side stuck.
Will be praying for you and the babies and a wonderful appointment at the doctor.

Z said...

You are in my prayers girl. Im sure it will be well. Good luck :)

Natasha said...

Praying, praying, praying that Clara is growing and that both babies are doing well. And what an awesome Christmas gift!

The Bird said...

Praying that both babies are doing well and that Clara is growing, growing, GROWING! The weekend looks like it was awesome...the spa day for you = well deserved! It was a lot of work growing one baby...I imagine 2 is noticably more exhausting! Good job, Brian, for recognizing that :)

Chrissy said...

Wow that jumper is one of a kind! Praying for lots of baby growth to be seen tomorrow!

Amber Massey said...

Cheers to a wonderful start to your weekend with that amazing sounding spa visit! And hello- a trip to Target afterward? Amazing:)

Praying for great growth out of Cloby and Clara! Can't wait to hear the update:)

Leah said...

awww! preparing for baby(ies) is so fun! I can't read your blog or it will make me want to get pregnant again!!

HoagsandKisses said...

What a fantastic weekend! Every Friday should end with a spa day and pedicure. Love the pink toes! OK, that jumper is going to haunt my dreams (only kind of kidding). Please tell me you passed on that little number :) Unless there's a matching little girl one for Clara, then it's ok. Twins can pull off anything because they're so cute! Hope the appointment went well today!