Background template

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Farewell, perfectionism


Now that I’ve had a couple of days to distance myself from the appointment, I am thankfully feeling much less discouraged, so hooray for that! Even though the appointment didn’t go as well as I had hoped, it was still great to get another look at our babies, so for that we are thankful.

I would have included a couple of pictures for you from the ultrasound, but unfortunately we didn’t get any good ones this time around. We did get a profile shot of Colby, but unfortunately it turned out blurry. Why didn’t we get a profile shot of Clara, you ask? Because someone’s butt was sitting on top of her face. And no, it wasn’t mine. Unfortunately for her, I’m guessing that won’t be the last time her brother puts his butt in her face.

And speaking of bad boy behavior, we also got a special view of Colby grabbing his private parts, first with one hand and then with the other. I understand this is also normal baby boy behavior once they’re out of the womb, so I suppose this is good preparation for the future!

Oh, and I'm happy to report that our second crib came in earlier this week! I'm not happy to report, however, that the wood colors don't actually match and more importantly, this crib is a good 4 inches shorter than the one we already have. Even though they are the same model (Jenny Lind), they are made by different companies (Delta and Da Vinci), and unfortunately the one that we already have isn't manufactured anymore, so getting an exact match won't be possible.

We actually discovered all of this shortly after getting home from the appointment on Monday, which resulted in me having a meltdown on the floor of the nursery. I think I reached my most rational point when Brian assured me that he could fix the crib, to which I responded, "But you can't fix our baby!" and then continued crying. I bet being married to a pregnant person is really fun.

Anyway, Brian consulted with his dad (the master fixer and handyman!) and came up with a solution for the height issue that doesn't involve propping the crib up on cinder blocks, so that makes me feel better. And I have just decided that the difference in wood colors is not a big enough deal to worry about, so we are going to leave that alone. Maybe this is a good sign that parenthood will make me less anal retentive? One can only hope :)

9 comments:

Brittnie said...

From one anal retentive friend to another I can assure you that yes, yes it will.

the blogivers said...

Wait, you're having two babies? You should have told me this...

Erika said...

Prior to finding out that Brian and his dad have already come up with a solution to the height problem, I was planning to suggest cinder blocks. Glad to know you already thought of and hatefully dissed the idea...why no love for cinder blocks? They've solved MANY of the decorating/functionality problems in MY life for the last decade!! Hopefully you can find another way to incorporate them into the nursery.

Courtney Squillante said...

Haha you poor thing! Just out the cribs far enough from each other that you won't notice :)

And get ready for boy behavior- butt (and other private parts) in the face of everyone, crotch grabbing, tooting on people... THEY ARE BORN WITH IT I TELL YOU! You have a leg up- this was all news to me since I had no brothers!

All Boxed Up said...

Praying for you and sweet babies.

Brittany Sciba said...

I agree with Brittnie. I've decided that I would be miserable if I didn't relax about some things. :) Glad that Brian's dad can fix the crib heights though! That probably would have driven me crazy too. Still praying for you and Clara! (Colby and Brian too.) :)

Dana said...

Parenthood has a way of doing that to us! Your nursery will be beautiful even with mismatching wood color (I LOVE the bedding by the way!). You look so great and I'm continuing to pray for both your babies' growth. I'm glad that Clara is at least keeping with her curve. Much love to you!

The Bird said...

Glad that the crib height issue will be fixed, but do try to remember that your love for those sweet babies will be perfect and that is the only thing they'll notice!

The Durbin Blog said...

Can't wait to see pics of the nursery!