Background template

Monday, December 3, 2012

We're halfway there... livin' on a prayer

Yep, you read that right. As of yesterday, I am 19 weeks pregnant. I'm no mathematician (hello, Spanish degree!), but if the doctor says we won't deliver past 38 weeks, then that means we are halfway through this pregnancy... crazy!

We rung in the completion of the 19th week in New Orleans on our babymoon, so that was fun. It didn't end up being the relaxing trip we envisioned (lots to do and see, all of which required walking around), but we still had a good time. We did, however, decide that we might need to do a babymoon part 2 somewhere nearby... somewhere involving a massage and minimal physical activity :)

I didn't have time to upload the pictures yet from our (new!) camera, so for today you'll have to settle for the ones I pulled from my iphone. 

We stayed at a great hotel downtown called Le Pavillon, and in case you didn't read about it on facebook, you might be amused to learn that upon our arrival, the bellman that helped us with our luggage informed us that he had never heard of boy/girl twins. He literally said this was the first time he had ever heard of such a thing happening. A housekeeper got on the elevator with us mid-conversation and unlike us, was not afraid to tell the bellman that he was sort of being a moron!

Anyway, the most important thing to note about the hotel is that they serve PB&J sandwiches (along with hot chocolate, milk, and chocolate milk) every night at 10 pm. Greatest tradition ever? Yes. And even though staying up until 10 pm was admittedly a bit of a struggle for me, I powered through and we made it down all 3 nights.

This picture was taken immediately before I burned my tongue on the hot chocolate... oops.

I'm honestly not sure if Brian was more excited about the PB&J or the chocolate milk... probably a toss-up.

The hotel was decorated for Christmas, which also brought me great joy:



The Shops on Canal Street were also decorated for Christmas, so of course we had to take a blurry self-pic in front of their tree:


We of course partook in a lot of eating, the highlight of which was a stop for beignets at Cafe Du Monde, complete with a serenade by a nearby sax player on the sidewalk, aka: Brian's favorite part of the trip:

(not pictured: the sax player)

He also really enjoyed breakfast at a local hole in the wall, and when I say hole in the wall, I mean that they only accepted cash and referred to me as "baby" and him as "partner." 


Something else funny to note about this meal: our hotel gave us a copy of the Wall Street Journal every morning, and just before we left that morning, I noticed that Brian didn't read it while I was in the shower as I expected him to. When I asked him why, he said he was saving it to bring to breakfast. Um, I didn't realize that I'm such poor company that a boring newspaper trumps me in the entertainment department? I pointed this out to him (lovingly, of course), and thankfully the WSJ did not accompany us to breakfast.

I realize that it's lame to eat anything other than local food when you're on vacation (especially in New Orleans), but thanks to a few gift cards that needed to be used, we did make two stops at Starbucks. The first one was just a quick break for a snack and a chance to rest our legs. The second one was on our last afternoon there and ended up lasting somewhere closer to 2 hours because we were just so worn out from all the walking around. 

The best part about that stop (other than the relief for my legs) was this little gem:

Chocolate peppermint cake pop... my new favorite holiday treat!

Don't worry, however, because we made sure to do our duty as tourists and see as much of the city as we could in a short time span. We especially enjoyed our afternoon of shopping and people watching in the French Quarter/Jackson Square:

I mean seriously, EVERYTHING is better when it's decorated for Christmas, wouldn't you agree?


Other tidbits from the trip:

- A stranger asked to touch my stomach while we were entering St. Patrick's Church. She was very sweet and promised to pray for the babies. We'll take it! I wasn't as weirded out by the request to touch my stomach as I thought I would be, but it made me wonder: what is the appeal? You're not likely to feel the baby (or babies) kick, so are you just interested in feeling what a fat, semi-hard stomach feels like?

- There are a LOT of smokers in New Orleans.

- We got to meet up with a new set of friends that we met thanks to the ol' blog (although technically the wife and I met back in college unknowingly) that also happen to be pregnant with boy/girl twins! They are from Houston but live in New Orleans now, so we got to see some of the city with them while swapping twin pregnancy stories!

- Vacations are fun, but there really is no place like home. Especially when home includes non-public restrooms and two sweet puppy dogs. And no smokers.

That's all for now. Will post a little more whenever I take time to upload the actual pictures!

8 comments:

Brittnie said...

I think B and I need a New Orleans vacay just so we can partake in those amazing looking beignets at Cafe Du Monde.

the blogivers said...

There is never any shame in the Starbucks game, just so you know. Glad it was a good trip - looking forward to seeing the "real" pics when they get uploaded!

Erika said...

All these food pics are KILLING ME, Joiner!! How dare you?!! I looooove those beignets! And I saw that cake pop at Starbucks and was thinking they'd be amazing. Sad to find out they are. :) That hotel sounds awesome!! I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express this weekend. I bet you're pretty jealous...I mean, there was a continental breakfast and everything...

Courtney Squillante said...

Sounds like so much fun!!

Chrissy said...

yay halfway!!

Brittany Sciba said...

Looks like a great trip!! So glad you got to go do something fun together! :) I can't believe you're already halfway. It's flying!!

Leah said...

burning tongue on hot chocolate is the worst!! And have you posted any belly pics? Cause I want to see what twins looks like at halfway!!

The Bird said...

Looks like a wonderful trip! But, yes, a babymoon part 2 with massages and less walking sounds necessary :) 19 weeks already...that is also wonderful! I agree with Leah...picture time!