Background template

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Oh yeah, and we got a new car

This past weekend was fairly monumental for two reasons:

1. Remember that test I was talking about? You know, the one that was in large part responsible for my brain almost exploding? Well I took it on Friday, and praise the Lord, I passed!


I cannot tell you how much of a weight it has been off of my shoulders to have that behind me. Now I can spend my time stressing about important things like what kind of cookies to make for an upcoming cookie exchange and which colors to use in the babies' nursery.

2. We got a new car! After several weeks of research on Brian's part, we decided it was time to bite the bullet and bid my beloved Jetta farewell:


We were both a little sad to see her go, but we knew it was for the best. And saying hello to our new friend, the Pilot, made saying goodbye a lot easier:



I can't say the actual car-buying process was a blast and a half, especially because it took 2.5 hours. Only about 30 minutes of that was spent looking at and test driving the car, so I can only imagine how long it takes when people come in not knowing what they want!

Brian did the negotiating (while I squirmed uncomfortably in my chair) and thankfully was able to get us a good deal on our trade-in and on the cost of the new car. I was surprised at how serious my normally very laid back husband was about the whole thing... he even told me we needed to wait in a remote part of the sales floor so that it would be harder for the salesman to find us when he came back from talking to the business manager. He said it was a psychological trick and made us look like less of an easy target. Clearly he came in with his game face on!

Something else that made me laugh: when the salesman was showing us the car, he said, "I don't know if you still use CD's, but in case you do, there's a CD player and CD recorder in here." I'm not sure if the more embarrassing fact is that he thought we were old enough still use CD's... or the fact that we do still use CD's. Ha!

Anyway, we are very excited about the new car and relieved that the twins won't have to sit on each other's laps in order to fit in the backseat. And a big thank you to Brian for doing all the homework to make the purchase happen!

PS- Happy 30th birthday to Erika!! Let's pretend we bought this car as a gift for you instead, ok? :)

11 comments:

Brittnie said...

Love your new car! I traded in my 2001 Toyota Solara (last year) and as much as I knew needed it to go, I was still sad. I may or may not have cried when I was cleaning it out at the dealership. Who does that?? But the tears soon passed when I drove away in my new Rav4. :)

the blogivers said...

Can't wait to meet him/her this weekend! Also, did you confess to the salesman that you were going to miss your tape player...?

Katy said...

Wait a second....if you don't listen to CDs, what do you listen to? Just the radio? I am confused.

Love the new car! My mom has been driving her Piolt for like a gagillion years and still loves it!

Erika said...

Um yeah, obviously I can never go shop for a car. I get that fancy people listen to their iPods or something, but considering that Matt and I have exactly zero iPods between us...we are definitely hardcore CD listeners. Or NPR, actually. Or we just sing to ourselves. Anyway, love the Pilot...I considered getting one of those when my Pathfinder crashed and burned, but decided to stick with a car for a bit longer til I really NEEDED something bigger. Pretty sure twins qualify you as needing!! But I will certainly go along with pretending you bought it for me, as long as we can pretend there's a huge red bow on it!!

Courtney Squillante said...

So fun!! Congrats on both!!

Verna said...

Ha! My van still has a tape deck in it. We don't actually use it but it's pretty funny.

Brittany Sciba said...

Love it! So fun! Congrats again on passing your test!! :)

Leisa Dreps said...

Whoa! Congratulations for passing the exam and for getting a new car. That was a win-win for you as the year ended. I'm sure you have your head held high in welcoming this new year. By the way, your car looks nice. It will serve its purpose for your family for a longer time, as long as you don't forget to check and maintain it. I'm certain of that. ;)

Junior Perrera said...

Ooh! Big black SUV. Big off road cars are getting trendy these days. Well, it's no wonder since it is more practical. You can bring it wherever you want to. With these kinds of cars, you don't have to worry about long drives.

Junior Perrera

Carry said...

Indeed, Junior. SUVs are perfectly made for long drives. However, the more you drive it off the road, the more that you have to check your car. Hope you guys don't forget to overhaul it from time to time. :)

Carry Bacot

Shelly Slader said...

Oh, you are one lucky girl! I have been wanting a new car for quite some time now. The car I drive right now is literally falling apart. If I could have anything for my birthday, it would be a new jeep. Maybe my husband will surprise me!
Shelly Slader | http://www.adrianbrienjeep.com.au/new-vehicles/new-jeep-vehicles/2014-jeep-grand-cherokee