Background template

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Life and times of a pregnant woman

- On two occasions last weekend, I had to sit down because I was out of breath… from standing still and having a conversation.

- I woke up in the middle of the night on Monday night with a Charlie horse so painful that I was certain I was going to die from it. I writhed in pain for a few seconds before frantically whispering Brian’s name and asking him to help me. Thankfully he was able to help me stretch out my foot and consequentially prevent my impending demise, but that didn’t stop him from laughing at me the next morning and accusing me of “thrashing around wildly” in the bed.

- This book came in the mail yesterday (pictured below)! It's called "Who's Who" and it's a children's book about twins... could it be any more perfect? A friend spotted it on Zulily recently and shared it with me, and I knew Colby and Clara had to have it (although admittedly I ended up getting it on Amazon because it was cheaper :)!


- After last week’s appointment, I officially commenced “Operation: Make Clara Grow.” Based on a little research and the suggestion of some pregnant/recently pregnant dietitian friends, my main objective in this operation is increasing my protein intake. This is all fine and good, except for the fact that I get full very easily. As in, a bowl of cereal leaves me hiccupping dramatically as if I just polished off a steak dinner. Regardless, if any of you have any high-protein food suggestions, please send them my way! Two things to consider: (1) I am not an adventurous eater and (2) relatedly, I do not like yogurt.

- Brian felt one of the babies move for the first time on Sunday! He was excited of course, but when I asked him if it felt like he expected it to feel, he said, “I’ve felt babies move before…” as if he was an OBGYN in a past life that I didn’t know about. When I inquired further, he reminded me that he was the mature age of 5 when his mom was pregnant with his little sister. Oh, SORRY, didn’t realize you retained that memory for 24 years. (But really, he was excited… I’m just giving him a hard time as usual.)

- As I was getting ready for work Monday morning and listening to the news coverage about the Sandy Hook shootings, my heart sank when I thought about the fact that it wasn't more than a few years ago that some of those parents were feeling their babies move for the first time, imagining what they would turn out like, and now their babies have been taken away from them.

However, I was reading a devotional that same night that talked about how no matter how much we love our children, God still loves them more. It was an encouragement to me in my current state of worry about our own babies, and I pray that it would be an encouragement to those parents as well. Even when God's plans don't make sense to us and we think we know better, God knows best and still loves them more. Rest in peace, little ones!

9 comments:

Brittnie said...

Your little paragraph about Brian feeling the babies move made me lol. His memory is quite impressive to me, as these days I cannot even remember what I did last weekend or what we had for dinner the night before!! For real.

Going to remember that book for another friend of mine who is having twins. :)

Erika said...

I'm sure that Brian's memories of feeling his sister move are just as emotionally impacting as feeling his long-fought-for own children move inside you, anyway. Why should he fake like it's a big deal??

the blogivers said...

Just for the record, I hope people don't ACTUALLY ask "who's who" between Colby and Clara...

And I agree with Erika's comment about Brian.

The Bird said...

Oh, the Charlie horses! They are terrible! I haven't been able to stave them off completely, but I upped my fluid and potassium intake and I don't seem to be getting them as frequently anymore :)

Some easy sources of protein: eggs, peanut butter (really, any nuts or nut butters), tofu (too adventurous maybe?), quinoa, beans. Grow, Clara, grow! Can you stand yogurt if it is blended in a smoothie with lots of fruit?

Yay for Brian feeling baby movement (and your description of his reaction had be laughing!).

Of all the blog entries reflecting on the events of last Friday, your words about Sandy Hook are the most touching and genuine. Thank you for that!


Phil & Melissa Wiebe said...

i've never met you, i read your sister's blog and have popped over to yours a few times...(i met your sister once through becky rosenthal)but it's been awhile and i was SOO very excited to read a post about you being pregnant!! and with twins!! congratulations! i laughed at your charlie horse story. i totally had them too and cried... to which my husband responded 'and you're going to have this baby naturally, but can't handle a charlie horse?' ha! they are different!!! haha. well. blessings! -melissa wiebe

Ashley said...

I did my best to follow the Bradley Diet, which recommends up to 100g of protein per day. Tough to do, but there are some nice protein counts for different foods on that site to give you ideas of where to focus your meals. I ended up adding Shakeology shakes to my diet too, and they have 17 g.

Brittany Sciba said...

I hated Charlie horses!! Sorry you're dealing with those! The book is adorable and perfect for the babes!! Unfortunately I don't have any protein recommendations. I pretty much lived on carbs. Oops. Also, Brian's response to the kicking is so funny! I'm so excited for you!! It's going by so quickly (at least from an outsider's perspective). :)

LEB said...

i feel your pain...literally....the past week or so leg pains and back pains etc have intensified and I've been a big baby about the fact that we have 3+ mos to go...
as for protein i have had no desire for meat so have tried to compensate for the lack of meat with ensure plus. you may feel like an old person buying them (and they're a bit pricey) but they are small and easy to drink and have a bunch of protein. grow clara grow!

Christian Srp said...

must. update. blog. {It's been 7 months?!?} Hopefully Santa brings me a new camera!

So glad you got the book!! yay!!