Background template

Friday, December 14, 2012

Baby names + a prayer request


A few important details to share with you:

1. Today is my favorite sister-in-law, Shannon's, 24th birthday! Please join me in wishing her a very happy day, because she most definitely deserves it!

2. We had another ultrasound yesterday, and confirmed that we are, in fact, having a boy and a girl. As was the case with the first ultrasound, the boy was more than willing to show off his "business" (as the ultrasound tech called it), while the girl was a little more lady-like, but thankfully eventually we still got a peek at her "business" as well.

Here's Baby A, the boy (who is actually head down):



Here's Baby B, the girl (who is actually breech, feet down):


3. Oh, so were you wondering what their names are? I suppose we can fill you in on that. Allow me to introduce you to the tiniest members of the Joiner family,

Colby Wayne Joiner and Clara Lane Joiner!

For the sake of brevity, I'll just give you a quick summary as to how we came up with the names:

- Having 'A' and 'B' names ourselves, we thought it would be fun to stick with the alphabet theme with our first child. When that "child" turned into "children," we couldn't come up with any 'D' names that we really loved, so we decided to stick with C&C instead!

- "Colby" is just a name we like, no real significance behind it, and "Clara" was my great grandmother's name.

- "Wayne" is Brian's middle name, Brian's dad's middle name, and Brian's grandfather's first name. "Lane" is Allison's middle name, my mom's middle name, and my grandmother's middle name. My middle name is "Jane," so we thought it would be fun to carry on the twins-with-rhyming-middle-names tradition.

So there you have it! Here's an ultrasound picture of both of them together. Looks a little crowded, doesn't it?



As a bonus, we also got a video clip this time! This is a video of Colby with his mouth wide open- it almost looks like he's laughing (in a semi-creepy skeleton way). My favorite part, however, is that you can see him kicking at Clara on the left side of the video and Clara's leg dangling by his head on the right side. The sibling rivalry begins!



We are so thankful that both babies have all of their parts and don't appear to have any major medical issues. We do, however, have one small prayer request:

Clara is currently measuring on the smaller side (at about the 9th percentile), while Colby is measuring a little more normal (for a twin, anyway) at the 27th percentile. Her measurements put her about a week behind Colby in growth. This means that there is currently an 18% difference in their sizes.

It is not uncommon for fraternal twins to be different sizes and even grow at different rates, but the perinatologist is a little concerned about the disparity and about how small Clara is measuring. We are supposed to go in for ultrasounds every 4 weeks, but she has requested we come in 3 weeks from now instead. At that time, depending on how the babies are measuring, they may start to monitor me more often (as in, weekly).

Unfortunately there isn't really much I can do on my end, other than get plenty of rest and keep passing on as much nutrition as possible. What we can do, however, is pray, so that is what we will do! We would love it if you would join us in praying that Clara catches up and that both of them are measuring right on track at our next appointment.

Thanks for continuing to read along about our journey... more adventures and updates to come!

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." - Hebrews 11:1

21 comments:

Brittnie said...

Love it - and can't wait to have another precious Clara in our world!

Praying, everyday, for both of your precious babies and will specifically pray for Clara to catch up to her bro!

the blogivers said...

1. Happy birthday to Shannon!

2. Glad the genders were confirmed so I don't have to edit your baby shower invitations ;)

3. Hooray for Colby + Clara! Praying for all of you!

Katy said...

LOVE the names!! They sound perfect together :)

I'm praying for sweet little Clara!

Erika said...

The names are perfect!! I'll be praying that Colby isn't a huge jerk stealing Clara's food. UGH. Men. Can't you put them in separate rooms to eat or something?? ;) Seriously, though...I'll be praying!

Chrissy said...

I will pray specifically for Clara to grow! Love those names and that video is so cute!!

Amanda Greavu said...

Love the names! Praying for Clara to grow, grow, grow!

The Armstrong Family said...

The babies' names are precious! Love that their middle names rhyme and love the meaning behind them. I will be praying for y'all and specifically your sweet Clara to grow. Merry Christmas!
Sally

Brittany Sciba said...

Yay for Colby and Clara!! :) Love them already! I'll be praying for Clara to pack on some pounds (or ounces?) over the next couple of weeks!

Kaitlyn said...

Happy Birthday to your SIL!

Love the names! I know a family that have a boy and a girl (not twins) but both with C names and the mom always refers to them as C&C! I think it is so cute!

I will certainly pray for baby Clara!

Nikki Miller said...

Love the names. I really like the rhyming middle names.

PRAYERS for all THREE of you!

Allena said...

I saw a baby show one time where the mom was pregnant w/ twins and 1 was growing slower, and the mom asked why she should rest more and the doctor said the less energy you expend, the less your blood pumps to your extremities and the more it stays in your core - meaning where you are growing babies! So what does that mean? You have major excuses to eat whatever you want (and the more fattening the better) AND lay around and do nothing!!! :)

Sara said...

Those are such great names!! I am praying for sweet Clara and Colby! I can't wait to meet them! :)

Gina Manifesta said...

Praying!

Lenore said...

Great names! I will be keeping you in my prayers. Does this mean you get to eat more?

Natasha said...

I love the names and especially the fact that their middle names have such a long history. Beautiful.

I will be praying for both babies, but especially for Clara to grow, grow, grow.

The Bird said...

The names = wonderful! I think the meaning behind the middle names and the fact that they also rhyme is so neat! We'll be praying for all four of you, and especially for Clara so that she catches up to Colby a bit!

Courtney Squillante said...

Absolutely absolutely love those names! Precious precious!!!!!!!!! And continued prayers for those precious pumpkins!

Bren said...

Love the names and the photos. Clara sure knows how to pose for the camera... love that profile pic! Praying that she puts on some holiday weight in the coming weeks. Love ya!

Amber Massey said...

I love love love your names!! Colby and Clara are simply adorable!! Anddddd- your middle name- I love that, too;) Praying for your sweet little ones, and especially for Clara Lane. I know how this goes as we went through it with our little Jolie Grace. If you need anything- Even just simple encouragement, I'm just an email/phone call away

Leah said...

Praying for baby Clara!

kiraniluri said...

interesting piece of information, I had come to know about your web-page from my friend Prasad, hyderabad, i have read all posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your blog gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanks a million once again, Regards, muslim boy names