A few important details to share with you:
1. Today is my favorite sister-in-law, Shannon's, 24th birthday! Please join me in wishing her a very happy day, because she most definitely deserves it!
2. We had another ultrasound yesterday, and confirmed that we are, in fact, having a boy and a girl. As was the case with the first ultrasound, the boy was more than willing to show off his "business" (as the ultrasound tech called it), while the girl was a little more lady-like, but thankfully eventually we still got a peek at her "business" as well.
Here's Baby A, the boy (who is actually head down):
Here's Baby B, the girl (who is actually breech, feet down):
3. Oh, so were you wondering what their names are? I suppose we can fill you in on that. Allow me to introduce you to the tiniest members of the Joiner family,
Colby Wayne Joiner and Clara Lane Joiner!
For the sake of brevity, I'll just give you a quick summary as to how we came up with the names:
- Having 'A' and 'B' names ourselves, we thought it would be fun to stick with the alphabet theme with our first child. When that "child" turned into "children," we couldn't come up with any 'D' names that we really loved, so we decided to stick with C&C instead!
- "Colby" is just a name we like, no real significance behind it, and "Clara" was my great grandmother's name.
- "Wayne" is Brian's middle name, Brian's dad's middle name, and Brian's grandfather's first name. "Lane" is Allison's middle name, my mom's middle name, and my grandmother's middle name. My middle name is "Jane," so we thought it would be fun to carry on the twins-with-rhyming-middle-names tradition.
So there you have it! Here's an ultrasound picture of both of them together. Looks a little crowded, doesn't it?
As a bonus, we also got a video clip this time! This is a video of Colby with his mouth wide open- it almost looks like he's laughing (in a semi-creepy skeleton way). My favorite part, however, is that you can see him kicking at Clara on the left side of the video and Clara's leg dangling by his head on the right side. The sibling rivalry begins!
We are so thankful that both babies have all of their parts and don't appear to have any major medical issues. We do, however, have one small prayer request:
Clara is currently measuring on the smaller side (at about the 9th percentile), while Colby is measuring a little more normal (for a twin, anyway) at the 27th percentile. Her measurements put her about a week behind Colby in growth. This means that there is currently an 18% difference in their sizes.
It is not uncommon for fraternal twins to be different sizes and even grow at different rates, but the perinatologist is a little concerned about the disparity and about how small Clara is measuring. We are supposed to go in for ultrasounds every 4 weeks, but she has requested we come in 3 weeks from now instead. At that time, depending on how the babies are measuring, they may start to monitor me more often (as in, weekly).
Unfortunately there isn't really much I can do on my end, other than get plenty of rest and keep passing on as much nutrition as possible. What we can do, however, is pray, so that is what we will do! We would love it if you would join us in praying that Clara catches up and that both of them are measuring right on track at our next appointment.
Thanks for continuing to read along about our journey... more adventures and updates to come!
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." - Hebrews 11:1