Background template

Monday, November 26, 2012

Why it's amazing that my brain is still functioning (aka: first world problems)

Well hello there!

We have returned (although not yet fully recovered) from our turkey day travels to see my family up in Dallas, where much fun was had by all. It was a full house (6 adults, 1 toddler, 3 dogs, and various other family members coming and going) and there was no shortage of activity going on, so needless to say, the long weekend wore us out a little! I think you'll all agree that there is no better type of exhaustion, however, and we are gladly looking forward to doing it again for Christmas in a few short weeks!

In addition to the normal lapse in sanity caused by holidays, there are a few other things on my plate that are occupying any and all available brain cells:

1. Registering for the babies
Registering is hard. And I would venture to say that registering for a baby is harder than registering for a wedding, because at least when registering for a wedding, you have some concept of what you'll do with the items once you get them. And you also have probably grown up using many of the items that you're registering for, so while choosing between brands can be difficult, at least you understand the basic function of a set of hand towels or a spice rack, for example.

Registering for a baby (or in our case, babies) is a whole different ball game. How on earth am I supposed to know the purpose of a bouncer versus a swing versus a jumperoo versus an exercauser, let alone pick out the "best" one(s) for our unborn children? And please don't even get me started on the more complex areas of the store, ie: anything and everything pertaining to bottles and pumping.

Thankfully, Allison graciously supplied me with an itemized list of what to register for and went with me (on Black Friday, no less) to Babies R Us to get the ball rolling. Approximately 5 minutes into it, I was fairly certain that my head was going to explode. About an hour into it, when she agreed to go scan a few more basic items while I "tested out" the recliners, I was fairly certain that my head already did, in fact, explode.

We got a lot done, so now I am just maintaining the list online, but there are still so many things to decide... and we haven't even picked out bedding for the nursery yet, which I know will be an ordeal!

2. Picking out a new car
Brian has taken the lead on this search, praise the Lord, so this is actually only consuming a minimal amount of my (already very limited) brainpower. After extensive research and a few test drives, I think we have decided on the Honda Pilot.

But if you've ever bought a car, then you know the decisions don't stop there. Leather or cloth seats? What color? Used or new? How much money should we put down? What kind of monthly payment can we afford? How much will we get for trading in our current car? Oh, and WHEN ON EARTH WILL WE HAVE TIME TO GO BUY ONE?!

3. Studying for my PHR exam
Way back in February, my company agreed to pay for me to take this HR certification exam; however, it was too late to sign up to take it in the Spring, so I signed up to take it in December. Obviously I had no idea how much would be going on at that time!

I have been studying pretty consistently for the past 3 months, but there is a lot of material to cover, and the pass rate for people taking this exam is only around 55%. So yes, it is safe to say this is causing me a fair amount of stress.

4. On a related note, I recently started a new position at work.
It was a promotion, actually, so that is great news, but transitioning into a new job is always a challenge, and especially when it's one with added responsibility. So basically when I wake up to pee in the middle of the night now, instead of then staying awake thinking about color schemes for the nursery, I am also running through the next day's meeting agendas and going over spreadsheets in my head. Fun times.

5. LIFE
Oh, yes, and then there is the whole business of going about our daily lives. Decorating for Christmas, grocery shopping, laundry, cleaning the house, taking care of the dogs, planning our trip to New Orleans (this weekend!), planning showers, doctor's appointments, etc. Oh, and growing two humans.

I should have clarified at the beginning of this post that I am NOT complaining- these are all wonderful "problems" to have... I just feel like my wagon is a little overloaded at the moment and wake up many mornings wondering not if, but when I will crack under the pressure.

I am reminding myself once again that God's grace is sufficient for me and I don't have to do it all... but unfortunately that doesn't seem to stop me from trying :)

So with that in mind, please don't feel sorry for me! And if you happen to see me curled up and crying in the fetal position, just ignore me. But if you do have any helpful advice or words of wisdom, feel free to share!

9 comments:

Brittnie said...

Hahaha I totally remember walking around Babies R Us aimlessly about to burst into tears thinking "why on earth do I have five million types of bottles to chose from???" I do much better with like 2 choices, not a thousand.

Anyways, I maintained a lot of my registry online too and that took a lot of stress away for me! Things you don't have to see in person just do it all online!

If you do have to go back to walk the isles of anxiety provoking BRU, I'm happy to go with you, since Allison isn't here. Seriously call me. I'm pretty practical and thus am not the type to go overboard. Ha!

the blogivers said...

I'm feeling a little anxious just reading your list!

P.S. You forgot to add "hosting a baby shower for a friend and then hosting another party at my house the next day."

Erika said...

I'm pretty jealous that you get to stay up late at night thinking about spreadsheets. Hope you're enjoying the sweet life!! :)

Ashley said...

This should make one decision a little easier--buy a used car. Unless you've been holding out on us that you're a secret millionaire who will be paying cash, it's highly likely buying used is your best bet. Not only are used cars usually cheaper, but your used car doesn't depreciate 10-20% the second you drive it off the lot. If I recall correctly, we used autotrader.com to find a local seller for our 2007 Tahoe.

I have a list put together somewhere on my blog of items I did/didn't use for the new baby. I can say that EVERY baby and EVERY mom is different, and I'm already finding things that I thought I needed, I really don't and vice versa. Keep your receipts and all boxes so you can exchange items!!! I'll try to post the link, if I can find my list again.

Amanda McD said...

A huge help for me on the registry front (besides BTDT moms) was Lucie's List (www.lucieslist.com) You can sign up for her free weekly newsletter and she will email you a registry checklist- breaks down every category into stuff you NEED and stuff you can skip, where to put your money and where to save. It was a huge help to me since I had to do everything online, and her weekly emails are funny.

Ashley said...

I used BuyBuyBaby's checklist as a very loose guide to creating my registry.

Also, here is the checklist from my blog along with some short reviews: "C" is for Checklist.

Katy said...

I would definitely recommend a van. We have the Honda Odyssey, we bought it after our second son was born, and we wish we would have bought it after our first! Nothing like having all the room in the world to pile in whatever you want to take when you travel! Room to change clothes, bring a baby potty for car trips, etc.

Also, I have a ton of baby items I LOVE, but my favorite, hands down, is our stroller, The Baby Jogger City Select double (https://www.babyjogger.com/joggers_strollers.aspx). I would definitely recommend it. Everyone I know who has it, loves it. It is SOOOO easy to maneuver, take apart, fits through the aisles while shopping, etc. It can be used as a single or double, so if you run somewhere with one child, you don't need a second stroller... and has a triple attachment for a standing child.

Anyway, good luck! I loved registering!

Brittany Sciba said...

There's so much to think about before a baby (babies) comes! It looks like you've gotten a lot of registering and car advice. A mom of one of my students reminded me that all a baby really needs is his mommy. (Everything else just makes life a little easier for the mommy.) :) It will all get done eventually! You are on top of things. Also, you will do GREAT on the test and congrats on the promotion!!

Annie Gruetzmacher said...

I love this post! Is it sad that I feel so many of the same things you feel and I don't have the worry of children or a pregnancy yet? I feel overloaded and "overwhelmed" with life a lot and there are not enough hours in the day to tend to all of the things I want or should tend to. It's so hard!! What gives?!