Background template

Friday, September 21, 2012

The big debut

Double the trouble,
Twice the fun!
We're thrilled to announce
That there's more than one (baby, that is)!


Yep, that's right- we're having TWINS! Allow me to introduce you to "Baby A" (on the left), and "Baby B" (on the right).

Surprised? That makes a lot of us. Although admittedly Brian and I have known about this these little surprises for a couple of weeks now. Here's the scoop:

When did we find out?
At our first ultrasound, we very clearly saw one baby. One black circle with a little grey blob in the middle. There was a shaded area on one corner of the screen that the nurse briefly mentioned could be another baby, but because we couldn't see anything after further investigation, we left that appointment assuming there was just one.

And then came our second ultrasound. I was nervous and told the nurse when she walked into the room that she was only allowed to give me good news (no pressure, though!). Well indeed she did deliver because as soon as she pulled up the screen, we immediately noticed not one, but TWO black circles with little grey blobs in the middle!

I was honestly in disbelief, as was Brian, whose eyes were about 10 times their normal size. But as she continued to take measurements and then spotted not one, but TWO little heartbeats, the reality of what we were looking at started to sink in.

We were of course thrilled, but knew that it was still very early and not uncommon to lose one twin in the first trimester, so we decided to wait on sharing the news. Later that afternoon, I received the news that my my HCG levels dropped, which further solidified our choice to wait. Initially we were going to wait until the end of the first trimester, but as the following appointments continued to go well, we decided to go ahead and spill the beans. And here we are!

Are we nervous?
Honestly, I don't think we're any more nervous than any other first-time parents! I would say at this point that we are more excited than nervous, but I'm sure that will change some as the reality of having our family instantly double in size sets in!

How am I feeling?
Praise the Lord, still pretty good for the most part! Finding things that sound appealing to eat is still a bit of a struggle, and I generally feel pretty uncomfortable from around 3 pm until whenever I go to sleep, but nothing unbearable. I have started to get some lower back pain in the last couple of days and some other random muscle spasms that lead me to believe my body is getting a head start on making room for its two newest inhabitants.

Oh, and as a punishment for me previously making fun of people for thinking they legitimately have a baby bump at 8 weeks (it's tough being bitter), I noticed today that some of my pants are not necessarily interested in buttoning. So that's special.

So how cool is it to be a twin expecting twins?
Pretty darn cool. I think being a twin is the best (perhaps I'm biased, particularly because my twin is so awesome), and I'm excited for our little ones to get to experience that as well!

So that's the latest! Hopefully now that the cat's out of the bag, I will be a little less distracted and will feel more comfortable giving updates. I just found it really hard to talk honestly about the pregnancy knowing that there were two babies and not just one (ie: I didn't want to say "it" instead of "them"), so it was easier not to blog at all. Hope you'll let that slide!

If you have any other questions, I'm happy to answer, so feel free to ask away!

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." - Ephesians 3:20-21

31 comments:

Jenni said...

Gah!!! So exciting! Not one, but TWO miracles! I have been wondering this whole time if there were one or two. So excited for you and praying for an uneventful pregnancy and healthy babIES!

Camille said...

Very, very, very exciting news! Giving thanks to God with prayers for continual abundance in His blessings to you all!

Brittnie said...

So. Excited!!!

the blogivers said...

There were a lot of exclamation points in this post :) I know you didn't ask for guesses, but at the moment I'm thinking one boy and one girl...

Chrissy said...

Best news!!!! John and I are so happy for y'all!!! (I think boy/girl, too, for the record...)

Erika said...

WOOOOO!! This is possibly the first blobby ultrasound picture I've ever actually been excited about, so congrats for that!!! Plus, double the babies equals double the opportunities to name your kids after me!! Yaaaahooo!!!!

Kaimey said...

Hooray!!! Love all 4 of you!

Brittnie said...

Oh and I totally agree with your sis - I am guessing one boy and one girl. And if so feel free to name them Brittnie and Brandon. :)

Brittany Sciba said...

Love it!! I woke up early because I was so excited to read your twin post!! :) So, so, happy for y'all! :)

Natasha said...

Whooo Hooooo!!!!!!!!! That is super exciting! So very happy with you, which is weird because I've only been reading your blog for a couple of months. But Yay!

The Bird said...

OH MY GOODNESS! This is wonderful and exciting news! I'd better get started on 2 little outfits for Baby A and Baby B Joiner now! We'll be keeping you, Brian, and the BABIES in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

WOW! That's awesome! Are you going to dress them up as thing 1 and thing 2 for halloween? ;) Are you going to find out if they're boys/girls? -Rachel

Courtney Squillante said...

Omg!!!!!! So so so exciting!!! Ha! There are SO many cute twin outfits! Eek!

Annie Houston said...

Praise Jesus! 2 huge blessings! Thrilled for you guys.

Kaitlyn said...

I've been following your blog for a couple of months and haven't posted until now... CONGRATS!!! God is blessing you beyond belief! Can't wait to hear more as your pregnancy goes along!

keepinupwithkaitlyn.blogspot.com

Anna Mary Walker said...

Congrats Amanda! I am so happy that your and Brian's prayers have been answered. I love reading your blog and Allison's. It feels like we're still in touch even though it's been years since we've seen each other. I guess that's what social media is all about! Keep us posted (pun intended) though I never fault you for infrequency. I just follow LOTS of blog so I always have something new to read :)

Amanda Greavu said...

Wow! Congrats Amanda! This is so cool! I remember having this funny feeling when you posted your Beta's, but I couldn't remember how many you transferred! Congratulations to you and the husband!

Kimmie Schiffel said...

So exciting!! Not only is this a huge reward for all of your struggles, but it's totally going to be payback for the years when being a twin wasn't the best thing in the world. ;) Bet your parents will get a few good laughs as the years go on! Congrats!!!

Dana said...

Oh my goodness, this is amazing! Congratulations Amanda and Brian!!

Missy at Its Almost Naptime said...

Yea congrats!!

Do you Megan at SortaCrunchy? She is surprisingly expecting twins too. Y'all are probably due about the same time. :-)

Verna said...

Ahh! Congratulations!! So so excited for you!!

Sara said...

YAY!!! So exciting!!

Sarah said...

So so over the moon for you guys!! Woo Hoo!!!

Bren said...

TWINS!!! That is AWESOME!!! Now I want to know the genders so you can start picking out matching outfits... unless you hated that as a twin growing up :) SOOOO SOOOO happy for the Joiners!!!

LEB said...

Still so excited by this news for yall! YAY
And I have not been able to button my pants for weeks- thank the bloating ;)
Im guessing two girls!

Tessa N. said...

This is amazing! Congratulations!! You don't know me, but I've followed your and your sister's blogs for a while. My husband and will start IVF in January and I thank you guys very much for your openness with the process. I hope that we are able to share the same good news with our family and friends soon. Best wishes to you guys. This makes me smile. :)

Natalie said...

Congrats! What a wonderful blessing!

L said...

That is so awesome!!! So happy for you and your good news :)

Susan said...

That's amazing news! Congrats x's 2!!!

Ashley said...

Happy Day!!!!! Congrats x2!

Amy@ahealthyandhappyheart said...

Double the blessings! Congrats and praise the Lord!