Background template

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Lifestyles of the medicated and infertile

I had another scan on Monday and it showed follicles growing on both ovaries (guess the left one got the memo!), so that was great news. I am continuing on my same dosage of Gonal-F and Menopur, BUT yesterday I got to add in a special little shot to my rotation called Cetrotide. This one is supposed to prevent early ovulation while my follicles continue growing so that they can be nice and mature by the time we do the trigger/retrieval.

So when the time came for me to get my shots, Brian gave me my the first one that I normally have each night and it was no trouble. I knew, however, when he took not one, but two deep sighs before giving me the Cetrotide shot that it was likely to be a little uncomfortable. The needle wasn't any bigger, but there was just a lot more of the solution than I normally get from my other meds, so basically the shot just lasted longer.

Thankfully, it didn't hurt, but because it felt like it lasted for approximately 703 years, I was very relieved when it was finished... until I started to feel light-headed. I told Brian, "I feel like I'm going to pass out. Please get me a bandaid for my arm." He responded by telling me that the injection site wasn't actually bleeding, at which point I yelled, "PLEASE JUST GET ME A BANDAID!" and then collapsed the top half of my body (face first) onto the bed.

And then I blacked out.

When I "came to" about 30 seconds later, I was yelling because my hand hurt. I quickly realized it was because I had collapsed on top of it and it was being crushed against the bed frame. Oops.

I decided it was time to lay down and thankfully was feeling much better after a few minutes of rest. The good news is that I now know to sit or lay down next time he gives me that shot. The even better news is that I only have to do that one every 4 days, and hopefully I will only have to do one more!

I have otherwise been feeling pretty normal... well, minus the fact that my abdomen feels like it is currently carrying two small sacks of potatoes. That's special.

That's all for now. Our latest prayer request is that my next appointment would show continued follicle growth and appropriate hormone levels, and ideally that I would be ready for the trigger and retrieval by the end of this week. We aren't in any rush, of course, but it would be great to not have to take any more shots for a while :)

In the meantime, my rapidly increasing estrogen levels and I are going to stay busy trying to avoid all of the sappy Olympics commercials, particularly the Target one about kids getting accepted to college. Gets me every time!

Peace out!

8 comments:

Brittnie said...

Oh my gosh - that is crazy that you blacked out! Oh how I remember that sack of potatoes feeling. Special indeed!!

Erika said...

Yikes, scary. And I totally agree about that Target commercial. TEARJERKER!!!!!!!!!

Courtney Squillante said...

Scary!!! All these awful shots will be worth it in the end! In the spirit of the Olympics- keep your eye on the prize! Ha! :)

the blogivers said...

Those medicines sound like names of STDs. Just something to consider.

Brittany Sciba said...

Oh my gosh! So glad you are okay! I like Courtney's comment... Eye on the prize(s)! :)

Verna said...

Thoughts and prayers for you!!

Natalie said...

I appreciate you documenting your journey. Too many women suffer in silence! I hope you don't black out again, super scary!

LEB said...

Oh my goodness Amanda! I can't believe you blacked out! did Brian freak out? I'm glad you quickly felt better! and I'm even more glad things are progressing well! more and more prayers coming your way!