Background template

Friday, July 13, 2012

Ready or not, here we come!

So our "break" is almost over, although it hasn't felt like much of break at all thanks to my various ailments. Nonetheless, we are pressing onward and preparing to get the IVF party started. Let's just hope my ovaries- the hosts of said party- are ready as well :)

Allow me to give you a very brief summary of how the IVF process works:

1. Using a variety of injectable medications, we will attempt to convince my ovaries to grow a bunch of eggs, while simultaneously convincing them not to release any of those eggs.
2. Once enough of the eggs are mature enough (ha, as if I am capable of producing anything mature!), they will retrieve them.
3. They will then introduce Brian's swimmers to my eggs to see if any of them like each other enough to combine forces. Ideally, this will result in a lot of fertilized eggs.
4. They'll let those little embryos grow for 3-5 days, after which they will implant a couple of them in my uterus. I will be on bed rest for the following two days and will spend the next couple of weeks taking more medicine and doing my very best to be a human incubator.

And that's pretty much how it works. I know what you're thinking: "She should TOTALLY write textbooks about treating infertility." And you're right, I should. But for now, I'm going to stick with Human Resources.

Anyway, this whole process starts on Tuesday when we go in for a baseline ultrasound to make sure that (a) I don't have any problematic cysts, and (b) my hormone levels are where they should be. As promised, I have put together a list of specific prayer requests for the process. I will go ahead and throw them out there now, but will try to check back in periodically with updates/answered prayers/new requests.

So here goes- these are the MAIN requests:
- That we would have a successful baseline ultrasound (as mentioned above, no cysts and good hormone levels) so that we can get the ball rolling; I have had some spotting (which is normal on birth control), so please also pray that this wouldn't cause any issues.
- That the shots wouldn't be too painful and that we would be able to keep all of the medications/instructions straight
- That my body would produce a good number of eggs (but not FIFTY-TWO, like my pal Kaimey... eek!) and that I wouldn't have a bad reaction to the retrieval
- That we would end up with a good number of fertilized eggs
- Discernment about all decisions pertaining to the embryos, including how many to transfer
- A successful embryo transfer and pregnancy (duh)
- A peace that surpasses understanding throughout the entire process

Secondary requests:
- That neither of us would have to miss too much work, and that we (ok, I) wouldn't be stressed out about it when we do have to be gone
- That the added costs/time associated with acupuncture (which I'll be doing in conjunction with my treatment) will not be a source of stress

I think those are the basics for now. Thank you all again for caring enough to follow along with our story, let alone caring enough to actually pray for us and the future baby Joiner- it means more to us than you'll ever know!

14 comments:

Brittnie said...

yay!! i am happy to come hang with you while on bed rest!! or if nothing else i will be bringing you lunch and a DQ blizzard of your choice! :)

Verna said...

Praying for you all!! ((HUG))

The Bird said...

Praying that the ultrasound Tuesday goes well! AND praying super hard for peace for you and Brian throughout all of this (definitely the hardest thing about infertility for me). So excited to follow this through to future baby Joiner:)

Laura said...

Praying that everything goes as smoothly as possible! I'll look forward to your next update. Best of luck!

the blogivers said...

I want to leave an insightful, uplifting comment... but I'm still trying to get the phrase "Brian's swimmers" out of my brain.

Courtney Squillante said...

Lots and lots of prayers!

Erika said...

Love you and super excited that you already agreed to give me one of your kids if you happen to end up with more than one!! Woohoo!

The Jasters said...

Sending prayers your way!

Amanda McD said...

Praying for y'all, and each step on this journey.

LEB said...

Prayers for all of the above! xoxo

Angela said...

Praying for you!!! And I'm not gonna lie -- I totally teared up when I read "future baby Joiner." I want so badly for this to go well for y'all!

Chrissy said...

That was a very helpful breakdown. The Trapps will continue to pray!! xoxo

Kaimey said...

I was wondering why I randomly had a substantial number of page views of that particular blog post. Good rundown. Although you forgot the ER visits, vomiting, severe abdominal swelling, etc. But I'm sure that's just me. You'll do awesome! And even though there's anxiety about all the embryo stuff, God has already been there and worked it out for you! I'm excited to be praying for you!!

L said...

Just started following your blog! I am also beginning my first IVF. Began lupron on Friday the 13th and have my baselines scheduled for the 26th. Love that we will be going through it on similar timelines, good luck getting started!! Look forward to following your updates :)