Background template

Monday, July 2, 2012

Not exactly a delivery from the stork

Thanks to the generosity of many thoughtful friends and family members, we have received a lot of "treats" in the mail over the past couple of years- everything from "thinking of you" cards to restaurant gift cards to treats of the edible variety.

As a result, I always get a little excited when a package shows up unexpectedly in our mailbox or on our doorstep, so when I came home from work on Friday, you can imagine my (very brief) excitement when I saw this box sitting on the welcome mat:

I spy a cute white pup in the background...

I say "very brief" because I immediately remembered that we were actually expecting a package on Friday, and it was not of the treat variety. But rather, it was a box full of medicine, syringes, sharps containers, and a plethora of other supplies lovingly shipped to us from Conception Pharmacy. Cue a deep sigh followed by this sound.

Yes, that's right, we are embarking on another round of treatment. Another round of medication, praying, doctor's visits, hoping, ultrasounds, jaw clenching, bloodwork, and all of the other fun that comes along with it.

This cycle will be unlike any of the others, however, because we have finally decided to give IVF a try.  It honestly feels weird even typing that out, because I am still struggling to wrap my brain around it. All along, we have talked about IVF in terms of it being our absolute last resort. As in, we will exhaust all other options before going that route.

Well, after 9 rounds of Clomid/Femara, 2 rounds of IUI with injections, 10 months of acupuncture, and 0 babies, we are considering our other options to have been exhausted. I should mention that we weren't at any point opposed to IVF, but due to the cost and general invasiveness, it was understandably not something we wanted to do until we felt like it was really necessary. 

As is the case whenever you dive into something you have always considered to be a "last resort," we are overwhelmed, nervous, and a little bit scared. However, a good friend recently wrote this post about her family's plan to pursue adoption and it completely transformed my perspective. Thank you, Kaimey, for helping me to remember that just because this seems like Plan ZZZ to us, doesn't mean the same is true for God! (Side note: She and her husband conceived their sweet little twins, Harper & Hudson, with the help of IVF!) 

Anyway, I haven't decided yet how often I will post/update you all about this cycle, so bear with me. I am working on a list of specific prayer requests so I will plan on sharing those periodically at the very least. For now, please pray that the next couple of weeks while I'm on birth control pills (in order to level out my hormones) would provide a refreshing (albeit brief) break for us AND for my body!

12 comments:

Erika said...

Woohoo!!! THE BOX!! Can't wait until the day you can show your kid(s) this picture and let them know that THAT is where they came from. :) Ruin all those stork visions they had of their arrival...

the blogivers said...

In reference to Erika's comment, we drove by the People's pharmacy over the weekend where we got our Ovidrel shot and told Davis it was the place where he came from! Joking, obvi... but you should keep the box and tell your future child(ren) about it.

Verna said...

Praying, praying, praying for you guys! I'll be watching for whatever updates you want to share. ((HUG))

The Bird said...

This may be plan ZZZ but as my brother-in-law (whose 2-year-old twins are IVF encouraged) told my husband last winter, "People don't always create their families the way they planned, but they find a way to get there. And it is all worth it." Thinking of you and Brian as you start off on this new part of the journey. I am so hopeful and very excited for you and will be praying along the way!

Kaimey said...

So excited for you guys! I know its definitely not the most desirable place to be. But God can still do incredible things even when our circumstances are less than ideal.
And thanks for the shout-out! :)

Leah said...

I hate that label "infertility." I hope you dont have to use that label ANYMORE!

Natalie said...

Woo hoo! My bff is pregnant with twins from IVF. So exciting!

Justin*Tara*LucasWhite said...

Praying you get your precious miracle soon!

Brittany Sciba said...

So exciting! Praying! :)

Chrissy said...

I'm excited for y'all. Lots of prayers being sent up for the Joiners this month!!! xoxo

LEB said...

Prayers and crossed fingers for you all that this is your last box of such items and instead all future boxes are filled with baby presents :)

Bren said...

Exciting!!! Praying that everything goes smoothly, that your body reacts just the way it is supposed to, and that God's peace that passes understanding will constantly surround you!