Background template

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Coming soon (or never) to iTunes

As promised, today is the great unveiling of the song list on our IVF playlist, created by yours truly! The purpose of this playlist was to remind us of the following:

1. The power of positive thinking
2. (And more importantly) the power of prayer

My plan is for us to listen to this as much as possible to keep us "in the zone"... sort of like a Jock Jams compilation for IVF. Although now that I think about it, listening to an actual Jock Jams mix before the egg retrieval or embryo transfer might not be such a terrible idea...

Anyway, the coveted list is below, as well as my favorite lyrics from each song. Most of these are a little on the serious side (some of which I have blogged about in the past!), but fear not- there are a few light-hearted ones thrown in as well for good measure:

1. "Stronger" by Kelly Clarkson  
Favorite lyric: You know in the end the day you left is just my beginning


2. "My Hope is in You" by Aaron Shust
Favorite lyric: My hope is in you, Lord, all the day long; I won't be shaken by drought or storm; a peace that passes understanding is my song


3. "Baby" by Justin Bieber
Favorite lyric: And I was like baby, baby, baby, oh, like baby, baby, baby no...


4. "Your Love is Strong" by Jon Foreman
Favorite lyric: So why do I worry? Why do I freak out? God knows what I need... 


5. "I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz
Favorite lyric: I won't give up on us even if the skies get rough, I'm giving you all my love, I'm still looking up


6. "Beauty Will Rise" by Steven Curtis Chapman
Favorite lyric: But buried deep beneath all our broken dreams we have this hope: out of these ashes, beauty will rise


7. "Got My Mind Set on You" by George Harrison (oldie but a goodie)
Favorite lyric: I got my mind set on you, but it's gonna take money, a whole lotta spending money, it's gonna take plenty of money, to do it right, child; it's gonna take time, a whole lot of precious time, it's gonna take patience and time, to do it right, child


8. "Be Still" by Story Side B
Favorite lyric: When I feel like caving in, my heart, my soul is wearing thin, I just want to give up, and nothing seems at all to add up. Can you hear me, Lord? My face is down upon the floor. It's then You whisper in my ear, 'Be still and know I'm here'


9. "All That She Wants" by Ace of Base (another oldie but a goodie)
Favorite lyric: All that she wants is another baby (duh)

10. "Our God" by Chris Tomlin
Favorite lyric: Our God is greater, our God is stronger, God, You are higher than any other, our God is healer, awesome in power, our God, our God


11. "Always" by Building 429
Favorite lyric: I believe always, always our savior never fails; even when all hope is gone, God knows our pain, and His promise remains: He will be with you always


12. "God Gave Me You" by Dave Barnes
Favorite lyric: God gave me you for the ups and downs, God gave me you for the days of doubt, for when I think I've lost my way, there are no words here left to say, it's true- God gave me you


13. "Your Love is Extravagant" by Casting Crowns
Favorite lyric: No greater love have I ever known; You considered me a friend


14. "Have a Little Faith in Me" by John Hiatt
Favorite lyric: And when the tears you cry are all you can believe, just give these loving arms a try and have a little faith in me


15. "How He Loves" by David Crowder Band
Favorite lyric: When all of a sudden, I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory, and I realize just how beautiful You are and how great Your affections are for me


16. "Waiting Room" by Shane & Shane (really this whole song describes our current situation perfectly, and if you are "waiting" on God at the moment, I encourage you to listen to it, too!)
Favorite lyric: I will run when I cannot walk; I will sing when there is no song; I will pray when there is no prayer; I will listen when I cannot hear


17. "In Christ Alone" by Geoff Moore
Favorite lyric: In Christ alone my hope is found, He is my light, my strength, my song; This cornerstone, this solid ground, firm through the fiercest drought and storm; What heights of love, what depths of peace, when fears are stilled, when strivings cease, my comforter, my all in all, here in the love of Christ I stand


18. "Take My Hand" by Shawn McDonald
Favorite lyric: I am weak but You are strong, You pick me up when I'm falling down




So there you have it. I know some of them border on cheesy, but whatever keeps us in the right frame of mind, right? The actual mix CD has already been created, BUT the playlist on my phone can certainly keep growing, so feel free to contribute your own suggestions :)

7 comments:

Erika said...

Great mix!! You seem to have a gift for excellent mix-making. Have you considered being a DJ?

the blogivers said...

I think you need to somehow market this to subfertiles - you could make a killing!

michelemybelle said...

Hilarious, you are.

Courtney Squillante said...

Love the playlist- hate that you have to have it of course!

Katy said...

Love #7 and I sang #13 at Katie and Joel Neidel's wedding :) Great list...keep it jammin' :)

Brittnie said...

Nice mix. So I do think Mandisa is a little (or sometimes a lot) cheesy but when I was in the midst of our IVF cycle I would blare her song "Stronger" back and forth from the fertility clinic. It always got me pumped up and in an optimistic mood.

When the waves are taking you under
Hold on just a little bit longer
He knows that this is gonna make you stronger, stronger
The pain ain't gonna last forever
And things can only get better
Believe me
This is gonna make you stronger

The Bird said...

This is a wonderful mix! I thought that might be the Ace of Base song! And that George Harrison song is one of my faves...have you ever seen the music video for it? Makes me laugh every time:) I remember you posted that Jason Mraz song to your blog a while ago and now whenever I hear it on the radio I think of you and Brian. Prayers and hopes for you from MN <3