Background template

Friday, August 12, 2011

The promised recaps

So where shall we begin?

Oh, yes, with the anniversary. Sadly, we spent the better part of the day at our respective offices rather than together. We did, as I mentioned on facebook, decide to forego our normal Thursday morning work-out (walk with the dogs) in favor of baking and eating these for breakfast, which I think you'll all agree was a very wise decision.


And speaking of wise decisions, after dinner at a local Italian restaurant (we are such townies!), we treated ourselves to a romantic dessert outing at Dairy Queen. I tried the Nutter Butter Blizzard (current BOTM), and while I think it could have benefitted from the addition of a little chocolate (what couldn't?!), all in all I would say it was pretty tasty.


Did I mention that we stopped at Radio Shack between dinner and dessert to pick up a headphone splitter for our iPad? If you ask me, it really doesn't get more romantic than that.

With our anniversary behind us, we boarded the plane the next day for Seattle. And let me just say, first of all, that Brian is really lucky that we arrived there so soon after our anniversary, because otherwise I would have likely forgotten our vows altogether and proposed marriage to the weather the minute we walked out of the airport. It was seriously that amazing.

In the mornings, it was cloudy and in the 50s-60s. It heated up to
a "toasty" 78 or so later in the day, and then cooled back down in the evenings. We actually needed jackets and at a few points, I declared that I was, indeed, cold. It's ok if you hate me. I kind of hate me too right now considering that I am sitting in our study doing NOTHING and somehow I am still sweating.

The trip really was wonderful- I won't bore you with a day-by-day recap, but feel free to go to my Shutterfly site to peruse the 90+ pictures that we took to get an idea. We slept, we ate, we did some sight-seeing, we shopped- you know, the normal vacation activities. And more importantly, we did not wake up to an alarm once (well, except the day we left to come home... boo).

Suffice it to say we were not terribly thrilled about arriving home in Houston on the 9th day in a row of 100+ degree temperatures... or to go back to work the next day! But we are very thankful for the break we had from the heat, and more importantly, from reality. If you are looking for a get-away, we highly recommend taking a trip to Seattle, as long as you promise to take us with you :)

And lastly, as promised, the always riveting fertility update. As I mentioned in my last update, I had a follicle scan last Thursday (on our anniversary). I was with Nurse Goldfish this time, and despite the fact that she (yes, again) seemed shocked when she noticed upon starting the scan that I had polycystic ovaries, the appointment actually went well! Ok, well my interaction with her went well- the actual appointment was just so-so, but I'll talk about that in a minute.

As you are all well aware, I am not a huge fan of either of my doctor's nurses. Nurse Goldfish in particular was pretty unsympathetic in the midst of what turned out to be our chemical pregnancy. But regardless, I knew that as long as I continued to go to Dr. C, I would have to deal with them both. And so before my appointments last week, I began praying specifically that God would soften my heart towards Nurse Goldfish and that we would be able to find some kind of common ground or connection so that I wouldn't dread having to deal with her so much.

So imagine my surprise last week when our Seattle trip came up in conversation right after she walked into the room and she responded with, "Really?? I'm going to Seattle next week! I'm from Vancouver and I love it up there!"

She then spent a good 10 minutes giving me suggestions of where to go, what to do, and when she learned it was our anniversary, she even congratulated me and wished us "luck" (which is kind of amusing) on our trip. (Sorry, Dad.)

The actual appointment (as I'm about to share) didn't exactly go as I had hoped, but I was so thankful for this little victory, and was reminded yet again that God is still listening (even if He is still refusing to be convinced that I know what is best!:)

Anyway, as for the actual scan, at first she couldn't find any maturing follicles on either side. She told me she wasn't really seeing anything, and with what I'm sure sounded like desperation in my voice, I responded by asking if she wouldn't mind double-checking the right ovary since there was a 14 mm follicle there just 2 days earlier (which was written on my chart, but I think we all know by now that reading my chart is not her strong point). She switched back over to the right side and said, "Oh, ok- there it is! Sorry, it was hiding behind another follicle." Whew. Close call. Stupid crowded ovaries.

She measured the follicle (which, to be honest, doesn't seem like a very exact science to me) and said it was around 15 mm, which meant that yes, it was growing... but very slowly. With us scheduled to be out of town for the next 5 days, she said that there wasn't much point in doing the Ovidrel (trigger shot) because it was too hard to pinpoint exactly when I should take it. She recommended that we just try this round without the shot, and even suggested I leave the ovulation predictor kits at home so I didn't have to deal with the hassle of them on vacation- the first sane advice I had heard from her in a while! (Side note: Sane though it may have been, I ignored her advice and took them with me anyway. After the absurdity of trying to pee on an ovulation predictor kit in the bathroom of the very crowded Seattle Aquarium bathroom dawned on me, I called it quits and left them in the hotel room for the rest of the trip.)

So we have basically been left entirely to our own devices with just a thermometer and a temperature chart to help light the way since that appointment. So far, my chart has shown no sign of ovulation having occurred, and while I would like to think my thermometer is just defective, unfortunately that most likely is not the case.

Regardless, a mature follicle can get up to 30 mm before ovulation occurs, and if you consider that follicles grow 1-2 mm per day (and that mine apparently was particularly slow-growing from the start), it is perfectly plausible that it's only around 22 or 23 mm at this point, and therefore just not quite ready yet. It is also very plausible that the follicle stopped growing and nothing is happening at all, BUT for obvious reasons, we are choosing to ignore that possibility at the moment!

So that's where we are. Thanks for your continued prayers and words of encouragement... and for waiting so long between my blog posts! Happy weekending to you all!

6 comments:

Erika said...

Those muffins look delish. And I thought the iPad was your birthday present? Only now it's "our" iPad and you're buying headphone splitters? Is nothing sacred?

Amanda McD said...

I'm choosing to believe that Seattle brought you some "luck" and you will be a very happy woman in the next 2 weeks. Just my professional opinion. :)

The Blogivers said...

I'm with Amanda McD :)

Brittnie said...

Those muffins look amazing. Must make asap. :)

Allena said...

Your anniversaries sound as romantic as ours - ha! Praying for a lucky trip in Seattle!!

Steve said...

The part about having luck in Seattle....as in, getting good dinner reservations?...a room with a view?