Background template

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Perhaps I've missed my calling as a professional townie food critic

Do you know what I realized recently? It has been a long, long time since I last gave any kind of townie update, which is unfortunate, because I realize that your interest in the thriving metropolis of Richmond/Rosenberg and its impact on my life is really what keeps you all coming back to this blog in the first place. And far be it from me to deprive you of the details of my journey to townie-dom, so here goes.

I would like to first point out that the vacation we took last week was actually made possible by one of our townie friends who just so happens to have a generous uncle that owns a house in Mexico. In fact, she is the female counterpart in the very same townie couple that recruited us to our current neighborhood.

And in addition to the Olivers, the other couple that joined us on the trip is also composed of two local townies (who used to blog—long, long ago). Coincidentally, they also helped recruit us to the neighborhood in which we currently reside.

We are thankful that these other 2 couples live in such close proximity because I think you will all agree that townies that play together stay together. In fact, we like each other so much that after spending 5 days straight with one another in Mexico, we also hung out twice this past weekend. Which brings me to the next townie update: our trip to Ray’s Grill.

There is a small(er) town about 20 minutes from where we live called Fulshear. And unless you have a strong affinity for places that process deer meat, you would really have no reason to go to there. However, there is a restaurant there that actually gets a fair amount of hype all the way out here in the rest of Fort Bend County (and even Houston) called Ray’s.

The original plan was for us to go there for dinner on Friday (they are participating in Houston Restaurant Week), but being that (a) it would cost a minimum of $70/couple, (b) we just got back from vacation, and (c) we just had our anniversary dinner, we decided it would be more financially responsible to forego the dinner and go out for Sunday brunch instead, thereby allowing us to pay our bills for the month. I know, we're so wise.

Now let me first say that I do not consider myself a “foodie,” or one of those people that likes to try out different restaurants and give a detailed review of their dishes, because to me, a hamburger at Chili’s is equally as exciting as a four-course dinner at a fancy restaurant. With that said, I am not going to give you a play-by-play about how Ray’s puts its signature spin on blah blah and serves a really delectable blah blah all served with a sweet corn reduction. In fact, typing the words “sweet corn reduction” kind of makes me want to punch myself in the face.

All I’m going to tell you is that I was able to eat sweet potato french fries and pancakes in the same meal. And there were cheese cubes. In abundance.

Those of you with a more sophisticated palate might also be interested to hear that they also served pork tenderloin, prime rib, lamb and some fancy kind of cream cheese, but those of you, like me, whose taste buds stopped maturing around the age of 8 really don’t need to hear anymore. Except for maybe that they also had the most amazing macaroni and cheese ever… and some pretty sweet brownies and pie for dessert.

All this to say, if you are ever in the area on a Sunday, you need to go to brunch at Ray’s. And then you need to meander back over to Richmond to follow that up with a Thug Passion snow cone. And perhaps a breakfast taco from Bob’s. And then probably a good 72-hour nap to sleep off your food coma, but I promise it will be worth it.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to eat my afternoon snack: a s’mores-flavored Chewy granola bar. If that doesn’t scream sophistication, I don’t know what does.

2 comments:

The Blogivers said...

You really need to upgrade to Kashi granola bars... more expensive, yes, but much more filling!

Beth said...

ummmmm you were near me if you went to Ray's! I really want to go there and have been pondering spending the money to go for Restaurant Week! (Were you sold by the spotlight in the Fort Bend section of the Chronicle that you also get for free in your driveway?)