Background template

Friday, August 13, 2010

Misery loves company

I just wanted to share with you all that I've never eaten a Pop Tart. I haven't even tasted one. I'm not really sure why I felt that was necessary to share with you all, but it dawned on my recently, and instantly I decided I needed to talk about it on the blog. Now THAT is when you know that you are lacking in inspiration for legitimate topics.

In completely unrelated news, hallelujah, praise the Lord, I have found someone to run with me! You're probably thinking, "Why was it so hard for you to find someone to run with you? Do you have offensive B.O.? Do you run like Phoebe from Friends?" The answer to both of those- thankfully- is no.

The primary factor working against me in finding someone to work out with me is the time that I typically like to work out: 5:15 in the morning. I know, I know. You can stop gasping in horror now.

I have actually never understood how people could work out any time other than in the morning, because it is a fact that as the day progresses, my desire and willingness to work out decreases exponentially. Maybe it's just me, but when the work day is over, all I want to do is (a) get out of my work clothes (b) eat dinner as quickly as possible, and (c) sit mindlessly on the couch. So as you can imagine, having to work out before accomplishing those monumental tasks would really just be expecting too much out of myself.

Anyway, my pal, Katie, who happens to live in the neighborhood (yes, the same one I mentioned recently with the very generous uncle who owns a house in Mexico) approached me last Sunday night at our church-planning meeting and asked if I wanted to go running the next morning.

I think I stared blankly at her from the shock. I said, "You do know I get up at 5 am, right?" And she responded that yes, she was aware of that fact, and that she didn't mind waking up early to do it because she thought having someone else to work out with would help hold her accountable. And while the prospect of getting up and working out alone (unless you count my hostile video instructor, Jillian) every morning is a thrilling one, I gladly accepted her offer!

So on Monday morning, we set off on our run while the stars were still out and the rest of the normal people in the world were still sleeping. And it was great! I probably irritated her immensely because I am very much a morning person and chit-chatted the whole time as if we were taking a leisurely stroll through the park, but thankfully she humored me and kept the conversation up.

And let me just say that it is amazing how much more tolerable running is and how much more quickly the time seems to pass when you have a partner! Now granted, Brian does go running with me on occasion, but he is not exactly a morning person (I'm fairly convinced that his body doesn't actually mentally "wake up" until some time around noon), so the conversation is sparse to say the least. So it was nice, for a change, to have something to focus on rather than the actual run itself.

Anyway, we decided to give it another go on Wednesday, and then decided to go today (Friday) as well. The goal is to make it a semi-regular activity, so I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

And by the way, going running 3 times in one week has to have earned me at least one DQ Blizzard... right??

5 comments:

The Blogivers said...

This post would have been even better if you had announced that the BOTM was going to be a Pop Tart blizzard.

Mindy Rives said...

Pop Tarts are my FAVORITE!!!!!!! Try a Smores one for dessert....YUMMY!!!

Joya Konieczny said...

I am also well-acquainted with the hostile miss Jillian... (and if you're referring to the 30 Day Shred, don't you hate that in the whole level 2 video, her top is almost coming off??? I cringe every time even though I know it's not going anywhere :)

Leah said...

You found a really good friend!

And I can't believe you've never had a pop tart. I have to keep myself from buying them almost every time I go to the store.

Dezzy Lou Where Are You said...

I worked out this morning for the first time in YEARS and while Im not completely convinced it will last- it felt awesome. I loved having it over with, loved not having to plan my shower around my day and activities since it was all over and done with! You could be on to something here...