Background template

Monday, February 15, 2010

Just another day in paradise

So where were we?

Oh yes, my pitiful efforts at sleeping away my illness.

So I woke up bright and early on Saturday morning (let's be honest, I wasn't having all that much success in the sleeping department at that point) to head over to the Junior League for six fun-filled hours of volunteering. Somehow, I survived, and our Valentine's Day celebrating began.

First I came home to find a bouquet of flowers (props once again), and not one but SIX gigantic cupcakes from Cupcake Cafe. I haven't quite figured out how we are going to finish these all off before they get stale, but you better believe we are going to give it our best effort.

Our next plan was to eat dinner at Houston's because we had a gift card left over from Christmas. However, apparently the other 8 billion trillion Houstonians also decided to do the same thing (at 5:30 pm, mind you) on the night before Valentine's Day, so we headed over to our most favorite Mexican restaurant in the entire world, El Tiempo.

If you haven't been there, go. Now. Trust me- you can finish reading when you get back.

After partaking in the consumption of the world's greatest fajitas, we headed over to the Toyota Center to watch the Houston Aeros play. The Aeros are Houston's minor league hockey team... or at least I think that's what Brian told me. But anyway, last week I received an e-mail from the YMCA advertising half-price tickets to that weekend's games for members. And considering that (a) Brian loves all sports and (b) Amanda loves a good deal, it seemed like the perfect Valentine's Day gift.

The game was actually really fun and our seats turned out to be pretty up close and personal, as evidenced by the fact that I flinched every single time a hockey puck hit the plastic screen that was approximately 10 feet in front of us. And perhaps even more amusing than the game was the world's most unenthusiastic and depressing couple that happened to be seated next to us.

When she wasn't busy texting her homies (Bruce and Carol... I might or might not have looked over her shoulder a couple of times), they were busy practicing their "I would rather die a painful death than be here right now" faces. I don't think they said two words to each other, other than "What are you so busy texting people about?" and "Ugh, nothing! Carol needs my advice!" So that was special.

I was pleased with the gift because Brian seemed to really enjoy the game, minus the fact that every five minutes I made a reference to the Mighty Ducks, suggesting that if the Aeros would just give the "Flying V" formation a try, they would definitely score a few goals and win the game. He loves putting up with me.

Despite all the excitement, we left the game a little early and came home to polish off #1 of the 6 cupcakes before calling it a night.

And as for the actual Valentine's Day? Well prepare yourself for perhaps the most romantic recap ever:

We woke up, got to church early to sell tickets to the upcoming Pancake Supper, went to church, came home, ate lunch (at home), took the dogs on a walk, and sat down in front of the tv. At that point, Brian played on the computer while I (drum roll, please...) did our taxes! I know all of you husbands out there are jealous that your wife didn't pull such a sweet move on Valentine's Day, but try not to be too hard on them.

But that's not all!

As I type this, I am blogging (clearly) while watching the Olympics (on mute, because I don't care about the background story... just put on your ice skates and get the show on the road). Meanwhile, Brian is eating pizza at youth group with 20+ teenagers. It's true- this "date" might go down as the most romantic of all time.

So since I'm not going to post this one until tomorrow, by the time you are reading this, you can rest assured that we probably polished off at least 1 or 2 more cupcakes. Just 3-4 more left...

Happy belated Valentine's Day to you all!

1 comment:

Kate said...

Evan also purchased 6 birthday/valentine's cupcakes on Saturday. I figured one for birthday cake, one for valentines day, and one for a midnight snack of sorts x 2 for both of us. Ummmmm NO. He ate THREE in the first hour we had them. And then whined that his tummy ached for 2 hours. The self-control of a 4 year old, that one.