Background template

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Well that was awkward.

Ok so does everyone recall this post from last week where I said I picked up my Jetta from the dealership and was less than impressed with the service? If not, please take a moment to read.

Everyone caught up now? Great.

Ok so Volkswagen sent me a survey a day or two after later requesting my feedback on my experience with the dealership. Always candid and never one to beat around the bush, I answered all questions honestly. And that includes the question that asked whether or not I would recommend the dealership to a close friend or family member: N-O.

I went on to say that although the dealership solved the main problem, there were a couple of issues that simply went unresolved (ie: “head-scratchers). I also noted that the service advisor, though friendly, did not seem very knowledgeable about my car or its issues.

I submitted the survey and went on with my life, satisfied at doing my civic duty of informing the dealerships of the areas that could afford to be improved. I assumed that the Manager of the Service Department would gratefully receive my feedback, correct the “areas of improvement” accordingly, and that my feedback would hopefully save some poor customer in the future from suffering the same fate.

What I didn’t consider, however, was that the Service Manager would send my feedback directly to my service advisor. Because wouldn’t you think that if someone completed a survey regarding your work that it would go through your supervisor for him to deal with you accordingly? Or am I stupid?

Regardless, when I arrived home from work on Friday, I had an e-mail waiting in my inbox directly from the service advisor. He very defensively challenged every claim I made, and I cringed when I scrolled down to the bottom of the e-mail to see the copy of what I had written, the words “friendly but not very knowledgeable” glaring right back at me.

AWKWARD.

He even had the nerve to tell me that the reason they put 10 miles on my car was to replicate the problem, because “if we don’t fix the problem, then we don’t get your money.” Um. How sensitive and tactful of you to say that.

My first inclination was to respond with my rebuttal and to, as I always attempt to do, convince him that I was right and he was wrong. Brian then lovingly reminded me that it was probably not worth the fight, and that spending several minutes of my day arguing via e-mail with someone I would probably (hopefully) never talk to again was not really the logical response.

So I simply left the e-mail as “read” in my inbox and moved on… and by “moved on,” I mean to say that I stewed over it for a few hours and called Allison to tell her all about it.

Funny thing is that the Service Manager (the guy’s boss) sent me an e-mail (clearly straight from a mail merged template) stating that my recent survey had indicated that I was not fully satisfied with my experience, and he was wondering if my issues had been resolved.

Why yes, as a matter of fact, if you consider forwarding my critique of someone’s ability to do his job directly to him and then him sending an awkward and confrontational e-mail directly to me in response as a resolution!

In hopes that I would receive no more communication from this dealership, I simply clicked “yes” and let the issue be done with. But you mark my words—I will not be returning to that dealership. Because personally, I really prefer to limit my uncomfortable customer service interactions to non-English-speaking Dairy Queen employees only.

2 comments:

Lorne said...

If it would help, I could rickroll the service guy too.

Kelly said...

errrr... unprofessional... i wouldn't be going back either!!