Background template

Monday, November 16, 2009

Totally townie and totally tired

Just a few thoughts for you from the weekend:

Brian and I went to Katy Mills Mall on Friday to do a little bit of Christmas shopping. Around 3 pm, we both decided it was afternoon snack time… ok if we’re going to be honest, Brian waited until 3:30 pm and I ate my snack prematurely at 2 pm. But anyway, I pulled a granola bar out of my purse, because being the planner that I am, I knew when we were leaving the house that I would be hungry and didn’t want to be tempted by the food court's evil ways.

Brian, on the other hand? He definitely had a cheeseburger and a chocolate milk from Burger King. For an afternoon snack. I have 3 things to say about that:

1. Wouldn’t a cheeseburger (especially if accompanied by a chocolate milk) be considered a meal, rather than a snack?
2. Since when did cheeseburgers and chocolate milk go together at all? Who does that?
3. Not fair. Because as much as I judge his poor nutritional choices, I was admittedly jealous (and drooling) as I watched him down that cheeseburger. The chocolate milk? Not so much.

We followed up our shopping extravaganza with a high school lock-in at the church. What is a high school lock-in, you ask?

Well basically you throw a bunch of high school students, some Pringles, cookies, and an absurd number of soft drinks into a giant room and keep them up all night in the name of youth ministry. Then you wake them up at the crack of dawn the next morning, feed them donuts, and send them home. Sounds totally awesome, right?

Right. If you are 16 and/or don’t mind spending the following day or so without a fully functioning brain.

Brian handled the whole event like a champ, staying up until the last kid fell asleep and waking up a half hour early the next morning to go buy the donuts (and let the record show that he consumed another chocolate milk at this point… apparently he didn’t get his fill at BK the afternoon before). He ran right along side the kids in a game of human Halo (aka: the activity that would come in pretty close to last on a list of things I would prefer to do on a Friday night), likely rivaled them in the number of pizza slices consumed after 10:30 pm, and played some very strange video game with them until the wee hours of the morning.

Come to think of it, that sounds like Brian’s ideal evening… maybe that’s why he loves his job so much?

Conversely, I was the first one to bed and made sure to selflessly claim the most comfortable couch for myself. And it was actually pretty comfortable until around 2 am when one of the girls somehow did not noticed the lumpy sleeping bag on said couch and plopped down on top of me. Which was only half as distracting as the round of shrieking and giggling that then ensued as a result.

I somehow managed to pull off 7 or so hours of sleep and—by the grace of God—did not scowl or scream at any of the kids in the process! And I even woke up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed to share in the partaking of donuts the next morning. It’s tough being a youth minister’s wife, but somebody’s gotta do it.

So those were really the highlights of my weekend… and coincidentally, those were also the 2 main reasons that I felt like I needed an additional weekend to recover from the weekend. But such is life.

For all of you who have been DYING for some townie news, I am proud to share with you all that I ate my first ever breakfast taco from Bob’s Taco Station on Sunday! For those of you who aren’t familiar with this fine establishment, it is basically a dive in Rosenberg that is famous primarily (I think) for its tacos (shocking, right?). And they did not disappoint.

And in case you were skeptical about my describing the restaurant as “famous,” then you should know that it is going to be featured on the Food Network on “Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives” with Guy Fiere in January. Pretty impressive, right?

And also, for those of you who pay very close attention to this blog, you'll recall that there is also a shady Mexican restaurant in Richmond called Larry’s. So you would be correct in assuming that Rich-Rose has a corner on the market of questionable Mexican restaurants owned by guys with very white-sounding names. In fact, I’m thinking of starting my own Mexican restaurant and calling it Pete’s. Or Jim’s. Or Steve’s (that one’s for my dad). I’ll let you know how that goes.

One more townie piece of news for you today—the weatherman today was talking about the cold front moving through (hooray!) and the rain that was coming with it. And at one point he exclaimed, “It’s even raining all the way out in Richmond!”

So if any of you were ever wondering whether or not we really live out in the boonies (relative to the Houston metropolitan area), then there you have it. And let me just say that I never thought that I would live in a place that would be described as “all the way out in” anywhere. But then again, I also never thought that I would live in a place that was made famous by a taco stand. So I guess Rich-Rose is just full of surprises, now isn’t it?

8 comments:

Kate said...

So seeing as I know Brian is a youth minister and I also know that you are married to Brian (so astute, I know), this thought probably should have occurred to me soon but... Y'ALL ARE TOTALLY LARS & MARIA! Except not quite as Nordic. And Maria was kind of scary... so not like that either.

You get what I'm saying.

The Blogivers said...

Ha, I like Kate's comment, Maria!

The Joiners said...

Ha it's ok- I can be scary, especially when my 8 hours of sleep are threatened!! :)

Kristen said...

Larry's is not SHADY!!! :)

Colleen Pate said...

I am so with Kate on the Lars and Maria comment except not scary. And please tell me you will not name your baby Gregor. On to the Cheeseburger and Chocolate milk - this is Hudson's favorite meal. Only he prefers McDonalds. I guess Brian is on the same level as a 2 year old. You are all set for when you have kids. Next time you and Brian are in Austin, I would love to see you! Get some sleep.

6ft Blonde said...

I thought about you Saturday when I went thru the Dairy Queen drive-thru on 620 to get a hot fudge milkshake. I looked up at the menu and lo and behold, there it was...the tagalong blizzard!

The Joiners said...

Colleen- yes, we would love to see you! We'll be in town over T-giving and Christmas but only briefly, so maybe after the new year?

Anonymous said...

Steve's Mexican Food. I like it.