Background template

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Appropriately nicknamed or unfairly judged? You decide.

Although I have never been a big fan of nicknames, I have had a number of them over the years. My mom used to lovingly refer to me as “Jane Jane” (Jane being my middle name), or predictably as “Amanda Jane!” when I did something inappropriate. My soccer coach called me “The Admiral,” after Admiral Horatio Nelson (Nelson being my maiden name). One friend called me “Manda Panda,” and another referred to me as “Mandy Mae.” I will clarify, however, that “Mandy” was not, nor ever will be, a suitable nickname for me on its own. I am so not a Mandy.

And so it seems that my readers have taken a particular interest in the nickname I alluded to in my previous post: “Fire-breathing Dragon.” Now in my defense, I don’t think he referred to me by this name on a regular occasion, but I think you would all agree that being called that name once is enough. But anyway, because you are interested in where I got this label, and because we can’t ask Tyler directly (well I suppose I could, but that would be an awkward topic to bring up after not speaking to him in 5 or so years), the best I can do for you is speculate:

1. First of all, he was Allison’s on again/off again boyfriend, so that alone warrants him receiving some of my wrath. There is a hard and fast rule between Allison and myself: We can be mean to each other and hurt each other’s feelings, but no one else reserves that right. And anyone that assumes that right will incur double the rage.

2. The group of guys that we hung out with in high school (Tyler included), though loveable at times, was fairly irritating. They had a habit of video taping stupid pranks that they pulled, and most of the time we (their female friends) were on the receiving end of those pranks. They also decided senior year that they liked the junior girls better than they liked us, and therefore treated us as their back-up options for the duration of the year. Point being, I might have taken the liberty a time or two to put these boys in their place and remind them not to get too big for their britches.

3. Believe it or not, I used to be a bit on the bossy side. I know, I know—this is SO hard to believe, and Brian will be shocked to hear that this used to be a personality trait of mine. But it’s true… I liked to plan ahead, and liked it even more so when others agreeably and obediently went along with those plans. That may or may not be why I received a similar nickname during Spring of our Senior year… the “Prom Nazi.” Oops.

I am sure that this list is only a small part of the rationale behind bestowing upon me the label of “Fire-breathing Dragon.” Thankfully, I am not aware of any other reasoning, which is probably to everyone’s benefit, as I have been known to hold a grudge on occasion. Again, I know, you’re shocked!

But don’t worry, I wouldn’t dream of believing that my Fire-breathing Dragon days are behind me, as my sweet and loving husband has come up with a new, but curiously similar nickname for me: “Scorpion Woman.”

As you might imagine, this title is tossed about any time I lose my temper or act like a psycho. These times are not to be confused with my hormone-induced irrationality, however… Brian knows way better than to refer to me as “Scorpion Woman” when hormones are involved. And for that, he is a very smart man.

3 comments:

The Blogivers said...

You forgot to mention that he was one of those guys that thought he could win my favor by putting my twin sister down and therefore making me look better! It's a good thing he didn't marry a twin.

Annie said...

Yay! I'm so glad you explained the nickname!!!

Leah said...

scorpion woman? haha. wow.