Background template

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Ditched

I am sad to report that Brian just left for a week at camp. He'll be home for approximately 24 hours next Saturday/Sunday, and then leaves again for a week-long mission trip. I'm excited that he gets to go and I know he'll have a great time... it's just that I've forgotten how to entertain myself on my own! But such is life when you're married to a youth minister, I suppose. And hey, at least I have a slew of imaginary friends to keep me company, right?

And if you're lucky, this solitude will result in an increased number of blog postings... either that, or an increased number of hours spent in front of the tv watching Season 1 of Dawson's Creek on DVD... thank you, Netflix!

Also, I know I've said this a million times before, but I just wanted to remind you all that I hate Wal-mart. As in, I would probably prefer to roam the streets of Houston on a summer day without water to taking a trip to Wal-mart.

As you might remember, Brian and I have recently switched our allegiance almost completely to HEB. Well, Brian had to pick up a few things from Wally World yesterday for camp, so we decided we might as well combine our weekly grocery store trip and do it all in one stop. Poor decision.

I will say that we went to a different (and newer) Wal-mart, and it was much better organized than ours... in that there were no random packages of raw meat strewn about in the cereal aisle. And other than the greeting cards being located in the most remote corner of the store (farthest from the groceries, might I add), everything was fairly easy to find.

My one complaint- and this is kind of major- was that the deli was closed. On a Friday. At 2 pm. Excuse me, what? Maybe they were breaking for siesta time, or maybe the deli staff was playing an intense game of hide and seek, but either way, I was not pleased. How do these people expect me to continue eating the exact same meal for lunch every day if I can't replenish my smoked turkey supply? This incident was not entirely unlike the time we went to our regular Wal-mart and were informed by the deli that they were totally and completely out of turkey. Yes, you read that correctly- the deli had no turkey at all. That's like going to Pizza Hut and being told they are out of pizza sauce. Not acceptable.

So anyway, to cure the Wal-mart-induced headache that remained with us both for the remainder of the day, we decided that we needed to go get dessert after dinner. And surprise! We actually didn't hit up DQ. Those commercials for the new twisted frosties from Wendy's have drawn my husband in, so off to Wendy's we went.

He had the Coffee Toffee Frosty, and I had a Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Frosty. Both were excellent, but compared to DQ, very much lacking in the aforementioned mixed in toppings. Don't worry, we will still be going back- unlike with breakfast and lunch, it's important to have a little variety when it comes to blended dessert treats, don't you think?

That's all for now, peeps. I am off to a couples' shower this evening without my other half, so wish me luck. Another couple has kindly offered to let me be their third wheel. Little does the husband know that I am completely incapable of getting my own food or beverage at social functions now that I have (almost) 2 years of marriage under my belt- sorry, Stephen!

Hope you're all having a great weekend!

4 comments:

The Blogivers said...

I hope you don't find anymore man-eating cockroaches like the one you saw last night while Bri is gone...

Katherine said...

I went to DQ on Friday night and I must say my blizzard was delicious! But I'm glad to know the Wendy's treats are equally good -- I'd seen the commercials and wondered about them. :)

Annie said...

Enjoy Season 1 of Dawson's Creek. I watched it during freshman year of college. So good! Great memories! :)

The New Black said...

Whenever my boyfriend is away, I live it up...on my own. I go to movies by myself, dinner by myself and to the Farmer's Market by myself. I LOVE IT!! I still see my friends too, but I love having a little bit of time to just enjoy myself. By the time I start to tire of it, he's back home. It's perfection. Hope you keep yourself busy. :)