Background template

Friday, June 5, 2009

Back in the game

Ok so whoa, where do I even begin? First of all, my apologies for not having written a real post in over a week. I realize that some of you are very bored at work, and I apologize for robbing you of a time-filler, however unexciting it may be.

So in a nutshell, our trip to Plainfield/Chicago was great! As Allison mentioned in her post, we shopped, we walked, and we ate. And I know that I always talk about how much I eat, but seriously, this vacation gave new meaning to the words "I'm full." Let it suffice to say that we had birthday dessert 4 times in a period of 4 days, and that does not include miscellaneous stops for cookies (what else am I supposed to consume at Starbucks while everyone else is having coffee?!) and munching on the brownies/cupcakes that Sara so kindly made for us. Thanks again, Sara!

Anyway, even as I type this blog 4 days after our return, I am still experiencing heartburn/acid reflux from all of the food consumption. I might or might not have helped the situation by having a birthday cupcake/ice cream at the office the day after I got back, or a cupcake and a cookie the day after that... or a rice krispy treat yesterday. Anyway, I will make sure to post a picture as proof that I have not fallen into morbid obesity... yet.

OH, and one more exciting piece of food news. I tried TWO - yes, TWO! - new cereals on our vacation! Sara very generously shared her Shredded Spoonfuls with me (similar to Life cereal, but healthier) and I LOVED them. As in, if I didn't follow social norms, I would have poured the entire box into my mouth in one sitting at their apartment. In fact, toward the end of the trip when we were discussing our favorite meals from the weekend, I suggested that my bowl of Shredded Spoonfuls might have been my favorite. Lame? Possibly. But totally correct.

And also, on our last day in Chicago, we went to the grocery store for a light breakfast, as we didn't think we could handle more pancakes or eggs. I ended up picking Kashi Honey Sunshine (get excited, Chrissy!) and I am addicted! It is like a less sugary (but still amazing) version of Cap'n Crunch. I think Brian even liked it, and his cereal taste is generally limited to cereals marketed to 4-year-olds, so that's a big step.

So anyway, we made it back in one piece. I am still catching up on sleep, but perhaps most importantly, I am STILL catching up on facebook and blogs. How is it possible to miss so much in such a short period of time? And perhaps a more important question is WHY do I care so much about being caught up on every single status update, photo album creation, and blog post? I will be the first to admit that I like being in the loop, so I guess I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything monumental.

If you want to see all 70+ pictures from the trip, feel free to check out my Shutterfly site here.

Ok and now onto non-trip-related news: Brian and I had a townie date this afternoon! Well first I should mention that I arrived home from work discouraged by all of the cleaning and chores that needed to be done only to find that my wonderful husband had cleaned the ENTIRE house without my prompting! Perhaps this was to get him back in my good graces after I woke up at 1:30 am with an empty spot next to me in bed only to find him playing video games in the study... but that's neither here nor there.

Back to the townie date: we started with lunch at the Flying Pig Cafe in downtown Richmond. This little cafe has apparently been open for several months, but somehow I haven't made it over there yet. Regardless, it is decorated in sort of a 50s theme with a lot of Elvis paraphernalia. I had a turkey panini and Brian had chicken fried chicken... because who doesn't order a giant slab of chicken and mashed potatoes covered in gravy for lunch at a sandwich place? Both were quite tasty, but perhaps more importantly, they serve Amy's ice cream at this joint! We didn't have any, because HELLO- no need for any more sugar in this girl's system- but I have big plans to go back and get a scoop some time. Feel free to join me.

After lunch, we ran a few errands and made a stop at Sonic. I have found that I can get Brian to agree to go on most errands with me as long as Sonic or a snow cone are a part of the deal. I think I'm going to be a great mom, don't you? Anyway, if you have ever doubted my dedication to townie-hood, what I'm about to tell you will for sure seal my fate as the most hardcore townie ever: After a stop at Sonic, we willingly went on a tour of the Fort Bend Museum. And paid actual money for it.

No, I am totally not lying. Most people in their mid-20s would probably spend a free Friday afternoon in June at the pool. But not the Joiners. Instead, we went on a self-guided tour of the museum and EVEN went on the guided tour through the 2 old houses. Our tour guide was a pretty hardcore townie herself, obviously, and was very knowledgeable about Richmond's roots. Although she did start one sentence with, "I think, I'm pretty sure- probably this is from Germany." Way to confidently assert your credibility.

But really, she was very nice, and gave us a very thorough tour. At one point, she pointed out some kind of cotton spinning mechanism and told us that back in the day, girls started spinning cotton at the age of 8. I laughed and said, "Sounds about right- I started spinning cotton when I was around 8!" Brian laughed and said, "Yeah- why did you stop?" Well somehow, our sarcasm was lost on our tour guide. She informed me that they still offer cotton spinning classes and that I was welcome to attend, and when we tried to leave at the end of the tour, she made me stop so she could give me some brochures on the classes. Sadly, they were out of brochures, and another person working there informed us that no such classes exist. Darn the luck.

So that was our townie afternoon date. Try to top it- I dare you.

4 comments:

The Blogivers said...

I like how you rejected Amy's ice cream at lunch because of the sugar overload, but that you were just at DQ enjoying a blizzard when I called you :)

Beth said...

Oh, I love you Mrs. Joiner. You amuse me so. I'm going to try some of those cereals.

Chrissy said...

high five for the honey sunshine shout out!

Angela said...

Good for you with they trying of new cereals! I'm with Brian, though -- if it looks healthy, I'm not interested.