Background template

Monday, February 16, 2009

I wouldn't mind spending every weekend like this


After the hand-in-the-toilet incident at work on Friday, I was ready to wipe the slate clean and start the weekend over. Fortunately for me, Brian anticipated that I might want a little extra attention and pampering over the Valentine’s Day weekend (HOW on earth did he know this? I don’t think I ever hinted or alluded to it…:o). So instead of coming home to a Friday afternoon full of cleaning, grocery-shopping, and other errand-running, I was greeted with flowers, a balloon (in Spanish, no less!), and candy. And did I mention candy? All I’m saying is that apparently Brian (a) wants to be married to a contestant on The Biggest Loser and (b) is completely unaware of my lack of self-control when it comes to Reese’s Peanut Butter cups. Regardless, I’m not complaining!
We spent the afternoon/evening seeing Slumdog Millionaire (good movie), eating dinner out, doing some Friday-night grocery shopping at the nicer of the two Wal-marts that we frequent, and playing a little Mario Kart. Oh, and at some point during the day we managed to buy a pair of khaki pants for Brian at Old Navy for less than $4… not sure how that happened, but again, not complaining!

As I mentioned before, Saturday’s plans were kept a surprise from me. The only part I played in the day (besides participating in his planned activities) was feeding the dogs for Brian and making him breakfast in bed. Oh, and I gave him a present—a gift certificate to get a “hot shave” from the Vintage Shave place in Sugar Land Town Square. I don’t really know how that all works, but from what I can tell, it is sort of like the male equivalent of a pedicure, so thankfully he was excited about it.

I don’t want to ramble on about what a great husband I have (I do) and about how wonderful the day was (it was), but I do want to make sure and give credit where it was due, so I’ll give you a quick re-cap:

- The first surprise was that Brian gave me The Fray’s latest album—it is great and I have had it on repeat ever since. #7 (“Enough for Now”) is my favorite—I highly recommend that you get the CD!

- The next surprise was that we were going to spend the afternoon at the Galleria where I could pick out a dress to buy for the evening. I’ll include a picture below so you can see which one I picked. I have always thought it would be fun to do something like that, and it was!

- Before we left for our shopping trip, he told me to pack a bag for the night. So after the Galleria, we checked into the Omni Hotel in Houston (on Woodway). Minus the fact that they gave us a room with 2 double beds (instead of a king), the hotel was great!

- Dinner was also a surprise—we ate a restaurant called Benjy’s in Rice Village… self-described as “modern American.” I’ll admit I was a little weary at first when reading the pre-set menu, but I ate my words (and my food) and ended up really enjoying it. ** We decided to get our dessert to go because I was about to explode from food consumption, and I think that was probably a good call.


- Last, but certainly not least, on Sunday morning when we returned home, he told me to close my eyes and he put something on my head. I opened my eyes to see that I was wearing Micky Mouse ears (Minnie Mouse, actually), and he told me that my final surprise was that he wanted to take me to Disney World for our upcoming (in several months) 2nd anniversary! We haven’t planned the trip yet, but I am excited nonetheless. Anyone with Disney World tips, please send them my way!

So yes, it’s safe to say he went a little over the top. And it’s also safe to say that I didn’t mind one bit :o) Thank you, Brian, for being the greatest and most thoughtful Valentine ever!

**And here is where I hang my head in shame: I have to admit to you all that upon reading the menu at Benjy’s, I behaved like a total and complete brat. I am not exactly an adventurous eater (I consider black beans, spinach, and cottage cheese to be exotic foods), so reading about un-optional endives, kalamata olives, and pureed carrots on the menu sent me into a little bit of a picky-eater-induced-rage. I will admit here and now that I was not very nice to Brian about it, and I will also admit here and now that I was very much in the wrong and am officially a big huge jerk for making him feel bad, especially before giving the food a chance! So to my wonderful husband, I am very sorry!

And there you have it, an official apology over the world wide web…. for those of you who know me well, you know that apologies don’t come easily. And especially not publicly, so consider this a major accomplishment for me :o)

Hope you all had a wonderful Valentine’s Day weekend as well, and I hope that the rest of you who also have today off are enjoying it by doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

4 comments:

Dezzy Lou Where Are You said...

1)Precious dress and day- he did well!

2)I gave Derek one of those shaves not long ago (along with a much needed haircut) and he LOVED being pampered!

*Kimmie* said...

I think my favorite part was the Spanish Mylar Balloon! I'm glad I'm easily pleased. Fabulous date weekend!

The Armstrong Family said...

What a sweet husband! It sounds like y'all had a great weekend. You looked beautiful in the red dress. Good choice!

Jason, Cathy, and Claire said...

That was the sweetest thing! What an awesome weekend!