Background template

Monday, February 2, 2009

How would you define exhaustion?

Because I’m pretty sure I would define it as this: spending a weekend locked in a house with 30 high school seniors, and enough junk food to feed the entire cast of The Biggest Loser. Because seriously, I am struggling to stay awake today, and that’s with the 24 hours of time I have already had to recover.

We went back to Austin this weekend to participate as leaders for my home church’s youth retreat called Focus. Back when I was an intern there (greatest job ever), my contact group was the 9th grade girls. Fast forward a few years to now - I am now well beyond my intern days, and they are all 3 months away from high school graduation. So obviously Brian and I agreed to come lead the senior house so we could have one last hoorah together. And what a hoorah it was.

The weekend started off on a great note when I overheard one of my most favorite girls telling all of the other girls that my blog is lame. I spent the rest of the weekend guilt tripping her and telling her what a jerk she is, because I feel like that is the most Biblical and effective way to encourage change in another person… don’t you? Regardless, I still love her.

Focus consisted of a series of rallies at the church, small group sessions (nothing is small about 30 18-year-olds), a mission experience in east Austin, and 2 hours of roller skating at a really shady establishment called “Millennium” where money was stolen and everything smelled like poop. Yes, like actual poop. Add in the fact that 200+ middle and high school students were taking their shoes on and off to slide into their roller skates, and you get sweaty B.O. + poop. It did nothing to build my appetite, to say the least.

And speaking of appetite, let me just tell you a little about what our diet consisted of for the weekend: brownies, muffins, queso, chips, m&m’s (peanut AND regular), Chick Fil A nuggets, more queso, somefruitandveggiesbutnobodycaresaboutthehealthy stuff, breakfast tacos, cookies, candy, every type of chip imaginable, sandwiches, pizza, cheeseburgers, ice cream. By the weekend’s end, my insides were crying out for help and I had drifted into some unpleasant food/sleep deprivation-induced coma. We drove back to Richmond after a quick lunch with my parents and the Wheelers on Sunday. And when I say, “we drove,” I mean that Brian drove, and I slept. And apparently it was a deep sleep, because I woke up not once, but twice with massive puddles of drool on my pillow. Attractive, I know.

So anyway, back to the weekend. It was great—I have missed those girls and it was really great to catch up with them and learn about all of the things going on in their lives that I haven’t been able to infer from facebook. Although I must admit that my facebook stalking skills are pretty superior, so they were surprised at what all I had picked up just from my trusty old mini-feed.

As far as the boys go, I have missed them too, but 18 year old boys really require a lot of patience. And that is an understatement. I really just think these boys and I come from very, very different planets. And their planet is one where showering is optional, and it is perfectly acceptable to seductively consume fruit during small group sessions in an effort to get attention. And did I mention that some of them even have girlfriends? Baffling, I know. Ok I’m kidding, they are nice boys… it’s just that they are… well, boys. Enough said.

Anyway, I think it will take me a good week to catch up on the sleep I missed out on, and at least 4 times that long to burn off all of the calories I consumed, but it is safe to say that it was well worth it. Not only did I have fun re-living high school with what seemed like a slumber party on steroids, but Brian and I also learned a lot from the speakers and left encouraged and challenged.
And by the way, if you happen to be one of those seniors that decided to give my blog a read, I hope that it didn’t prove Amy and her “lame” accusations to be true :o) Much love to you all!

8 comments:

Sean and Stephanie said...

Exhaustion - what a woman feels starting with pregnancy and continuing through the birth of said child(ren) who like(s) to get up all hours of the night (refer to my blog for further explanation) :).

Have you ever been so exhausted that you couldn't even go to sleep?

Man. I know a little somethin' about exhaustion :).

Anyways, glad you had a good weekend, and my mouth was totally watering when I was reading all the things y'all ate.

Leah G said...

I would cry if I heard someone talking about how my blog is lame. :( I think you handled it the right way. NEVER stop blogging!!

Bonnie said...

Your blog is NOT lame. It is actually one of the most entertaining blogs I read. So there.

Stacey said...

I find your blogs to be amusing and fun and I don't even know you...I am Anne's (Bederman) husband's aunt. After a stressful day, your blogs make me smile. :o)

The Joiners said...

Thanks, friends! And Stacey, I'm glad to know I can help make you smile :)

Chelsea Hefner said...

This is an amazing blog, Amanda! This one in particular is so funny! You just forgot to mention one thing: the throw-up. :)

Kristina said...

hahahahaha i love you!!! and miss you. and i have always loved your blogs and people are talking about them so your pretty much famous.

Beth said...

My guess was Amy!! I'm glad you solved that puzzle at the end of the blog. Oh those little boogers, I miss them! Was there a lot of inappropriate hugging from the boys?