Background template

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Who says it's fun to stay at the YMCA?

So for those of you who joined me in skipping Inauguration coverage in favor of The Biggest Loser, is anyone interested in traveling to Detroit with me to slap Joelle in the face? I know I mentioned this same desire last week, but I am still really in favor of it. And let’s please review the jumping challenge last night: she did not complete one successful jump. Not a single one. I highly suspect that a wheelchair-bound participant could have beat her in this challenge. All I’m saying is that she doesn’t really deserve to be on the show. Harsh? Perhaps. True? Most definitely.

And I have to say that as I was watching the show’s ending, I had to blink a few times and check the info button on DVR to make sure I wasn’t actually watching an episode of The Hills by mistake, because that ending could not have been any more scripted! There is no way that a fully conscious person would have willingly voted to keep Joelle on the show. No possible way. I have to admit that I almost lost my faith in the show upon realizing that (brace yourselves) reality tv is not as real as I might have thought. WHO KNEW?!

So as long as we are on the theme of people ruining other people’s work-outs, let me tell you about my visit to the YMCA yesterday morning. We strolled into the work-out room at approximately 5:19 am, and as I walked through the door and made my way toward my usual machine, I noticed that something was out of place: there was a man using my machine. Ok, ok, so my name is not written anywhere on the elliptical, and my 2-visits-per-week schedule there doesn’t exactly give me the privileges of a regular, but WHO does this guy think he is? Every Tuesday/Thursday I get on the same machine at the same time, and suddenly Mr. New Year’s Resolution-ist (using labels and getting angry helps me get over things, obviously) is taking over my space.

Suffice it to say that he just about ruined my day… is that a tad dramatic? The good news is (phew, here comes the silver lining) that there was an identical (open) machine about 5 feet away. The problem is this: my regular machine is placed conveniently in front of a tv that plays the news in the morning (ok if we are being honest, it plays Fox News, which is purely a coincidence and has nothing to do with yesterday’s conservative rant!). Anyway, the alternate machine, aka: the life-ruiner, is placed directly in front of the tv that plays ESPN in the morning. I am pretty sure that I would rather watch paint dry while working out than news coverage of various sports events between teams I usually care nothing about. Brian will be disappointed to learn that… but then again, I think I’ve made my feelings on ESPN pretty clear to him in the last year and a half or so.

Anyway, somehow I managed to survive the work-out. But let’s just hope that “my” machine is available tomorrow, or you might be reading the sequel to this post. And I have a feeling you aren’t as interested in my YMCA woes as I am. Happy hump day to you all!

6 comments:

Brian Joiner said...

I would have thought you would have learned valuable conversation points with me by watching ESPN.

Wade if you read this please note that there is a TV with CNN on as well...

The Blogivers said...

Fox AND CNN? Together? In harmony? Hmm...

Katie said...

ugh! I know - I read your post before I watched the Biggest Loser but somehow was hoping that my DVR would kick her off before I watched it. wishful thinking!

*Kimmie* said...

For his sake, I hope your machine is open next time you hit the gym =)

Jenni said...

Count me in for the trip to Detroit. I purposely don't read your Wednesday post until after I watch my DVR-ed Biggest Loser. I cannot believe that...I am at a loss for words...

*Kimmie* said...

I've also tagged you!