Background template

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A new year, a not-so-new series of incoherent ramblings

So happy new year! I realize this is 6 days overdue, but frankly, I’ve just been too busy living life and enjoying the new year to sit down and blog about it. Or I’ve had constipation of the brain and can’t think of anything to blog about that you didn’t already read on Allison’s NYE re-cap, or that doesn’t involve endless rants about how depressing it is that Christmas is over. But I decided that I needed to stop stalling and just get back into the swing of things, so here goes nothing.

2009 has been pretty uneventful thus far… just getting back into a routine and re-teaching my body to wake up at 5:10 in the morning without ceasing normal functioning. And re-teaching my body that cookies don’t need to be part of my daily diet. Ok let’s be honest, they do, but not necessarily part of every meal (and snack) that I consume. Don’t worry, this is not where I tell you about my grand new year’s resolution to lose weight, because I have no such resolution!

And speaking of resolutions, I really have never been one to make them. However, a few years ago I did make a resolution to stop swallowing gum. I’m not sure if it was due to laziness, or, well, laziness, but I used to swallow every single piece of gum I chewed up until about the age of 20. I know, Doctor So-and-so, that it will stick in my stomach for 8 years and ruin my life, etc. Although I don’t think that’s really why I decided to stop swallowing it in the first place, but that’s not the point. The point is, to this day, I very rarely, if ever, swallow my gum.

So anyway, I am expecting 2009 to be another great year, because I have no reason to expect otherwise! The first monumental happening of the year will take place tomorrow (unless something big happens tonight, like I win the lottery without actually buying a ticket) with the birth of my newest nephew, Sayers. Brian and I will be heading to Austin to meet him on Friday, and can’t wait to spend time hanging out with big sister, Emma, and big brother, Brown, as well. Having nieces/nephews is the best job ever, I highly recommend it. Anyway, because we won’t get to be there when he is first born, my sweet twin sister kindly offered to pretend to be me at some point after meeting him so that he would start getting used to the idea of twins. Isn’t that thoughtful of her?

And while we’re on that subject, I want to commend my brilliant 3 year old niece, Emma, for being able to tell Allison and me apart pretty flawlessly. And I don’t just mean in person… she can pick out “Peekie” from Amanda in pictures of us at all ages—even in some baby pictures where I’m not even sure which one is me! I’m sure it has something to do with babies noticing random facial features blah blah but I am choosing to credit it to her brilliance.

Brown, on the other hand, my apparently less observant (but still very brilliant) nephew has not made the distinction yet. Because he sees Allison (Peekie) more often, he assumes that we are both Peekie… even if we are both standing next to each other in the same room. And I believe I already blogged about the time that I asked him my name and he responded with “Peekie”… after which I said, “No—that’s Peekie (pointing to Allison). What’s my name?” and he responded with “Yucky.” Such a little darling, isn’t he? I can only hope Sayers is as loving and sweet.

Other plans for the year include a trip with the Olivers to Indianapolis to visit the Callens/Chicago over our birthday weekend, and another Oliver-Joiner trip in the Fall to visit our brother and his wife, Kelly in Vermont. I’m sure there are plenty of other really exciting (ok marginally exciting) things going on this year, but I can’t think of any of them at the moment, so you’ll just have to take my word on it.

Oh, and to really get the year started on the right foot, I am going to watch the premier of the newest season of The Biggest Loser tonight. Yes, already! They waste no time. Anyway, I suggest that you watch as well so that I can share my opinions on the blog without everyone rolling their eyes in disgust that I am talking about the same show again. I can’t help it, it’s addicting to watch big people become un-big. Deep thoughts by Amanda Joiner.

Later, peeps!

2 comments:

The Blogivers said...

You are Yucky :)

Kelly and Andrew said...

Brown pointed out my pimple within 30 seconds of me walking in the door and asked about my "owie".