Background template

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

You think you know, but you have no idea...

Greetings from Allison from The Blogivers, aka: Amanda’s twin sister! Since Amanda will be out of town for most of the week on vacay in D.C., she has bestowed upon me the highest honor of being her guest blogger for the week. Actually I thought of it on my own and then asked for permission, but whatever.

However, in typical Amanda fashion, I was not given the freedom to choose my own topic for this post. I was given a choice between 2 options – this, or “Christmas Memories”. Since this option gave me more room to make fun of her – which is one of my favorite pastimes – the decision was an easy one.

So without further adieu, here are 10 things you may or may not know about my sister…

1. She was the founding and sole member of the Greek Alphabet Club in the 5th grade. Let me explain – her teacher at the time gave the entire class the option of memorizing the Greek alphabet, at which point they would become members of the prestigious “Greek Alphabet Club”. Since it was optional and most of the other 10 year olds were more interested in where they got to sit at the lunch table in the cafeteria, no one did it… except for Amanda. She went home that night and memorized that bad boy so she could be the first to join the club the next day. I think she might even have it on her resume today.

2. She is not a big fan of sharing. And this might be an understatement. (I don’t really have room to talk, because I’m not so great at sharing myself… but I think she might take the cake.) Take for example, clothes. If you were a girl with an identical twin sister who was more or less the same size as you, you would probably want to share clothes with her so you could essentially double your wardrobe, correct? Well, Amanda has never seen it this way. I can’t count how many times I came into her room in high school, having mustered up all the courage inside of me just to ask if I could borrow a shirt to wear the next day, only to be met with the fury of Satan himself. You would think I had asked to borrow her vital organs for the day!

3. She used to be deathly afraid of moths. You see, we used to vacation in a remote area of New Mexico at a family camp called Camp Davis. Now, Camp Davis wasn’t exactly known for its luxurious accommodations and calling the cabins “clean” would not be entirely accurate – they definitely had their share of bugs. And from time to time, these bugs (mostly moths) would land on our personal belongings, which included our sleeping spaces. Being that moths are kind of just like little pieces of paper that fly, it usually wasn’t a big deal… unless it landed on Amanda’s bed. She was TERRIFIED of those things. It was honestly as if a small T-Rex had landed on her bed and was trying to eat her legs. As you know from reading her blog, this fear of moths has been replaced with a different irrational fear – that of cockroaches.

4. She’s an animal lover. While I wouldn’t consider her a likely candidate to become a spokesperson for PETA anytime soon, she definitely has a special spot in her heart for animals. I remember one time in high school when we were driving home from a friend’s house one night, we saw a rather large dog wandering around on the side of the road. While I felt sorry for the lost pup, I had no desire to wrangle him into our car in the dark. But Amanda made us stop the car, turn around, and pick him up. He was returned to his owner safely thereafter, thanks to her. She is now the proud owner of 2 of her own dogs, and she totally tears up every time she sees that heart-wrenching Sarah McLachlan commercial.

5. She is loyal. You’d be hard pressed to find a better friend than Amanda. Though she may get irritated with you and let her temper flare up on you from time to time, she will not easily give up on you and she will always stand up for you. Even at points in our lives when we haven’t been getting along so well, she has always been a good sister to me. When we were in high school, I can’t count how many dance team performances of mine she went to, even when I was a jerk and hardly went to any of her soccer games. I can’t count how many times she has defended me when someone has done something to hurt my feelings. I can’t count how many times she has stepped in and told my husband when I was having a bad day and was in need of cheering up when she couldn’t be there to do it. We could all use more people like that in our lives.

6. She still sleeps with her blankies every night. All 3 sisters in my family grew up with an attachment to something – for me, it was a small pillow; for my older sister, it was a large blanket; for Amanda, it was 2 blankets that have since turned into unidentifiable shreds of strings. It was assumed by our parents that we would give up on these attachments one day, our wedding days at the latest. But Amanda’s wedding day has come and gone, and she still sleeps with those things every single night. I have a feeling if she is ever forced to choose between sharing a bed with Brian or her blankies, Brian might be getting the boot.

7. She has a hard time getting rid of things. While she likes to argue that I get rid of things too quickly thereby ignoring their sentimental value, her problem is just the opposite. I’m willing to bet if you were friends with her in 6th grade and once gave her a post-it note with her name written on it in block letters, she might still have it today. The same goes with clothes – on more than one occasion I have rightfully accused her of wearing something in the past few years that was purchased in middle school or early high school. She has gotten better about this, but I happen to know that she still wears her soccer shorts from 8th/9th grade on a regular basis.

8. She didn’t learn how to put her hair into a ponytail until she was in high school. For some reason it took both of us a long time to get around to learning how to do this, but she was even more stubborn about it. I remember having to do it for her before our soccer games in 8th grade. She would complain that I was hurting her or that there were too many bumps when I did it, and then I would kindly remind her that maybe if she learned how to do her own hair, she wouldn’t have that problem! You’ll be happy to know that she has since learned how and is able to do it all by herself. I’m sure Brian is thankful for this.

9. She doesn’t like frappuccinos. I know that not everyone in the world is a fan of this magical drink, but considering that she and I came from the same womb and were once 1 person, I find it intriguing that she is so adamantly opposed to something to which I am rather addicted. She tried it once before, but vowed never to try it again after that. She will go to Starbucks from time to time, but will only order non-caffeinated beverages when she’s there. It has been hard, but we have thankfully been able to put this conflict of interests aside and remain on good terms.

10. She leaves gum wrappers in the cup holders in her car. Ok, maybe she’ll argue that she doesn’t do this anymore, but she’s probably lying. For someone who is almost just as much of an obsessive compulsive neat freak as I am, I do not understand this habit. And while we’re on that topic, I also need to mention that she will not eat a whole piece of gum – she tears them in half and chews the half pieces. I thought I was the cheapskate/weird twin, but this makes me think she is giving me some tough competition. If you ever ask to have a piece of her gum, be warned that you will only get half of a piece… then again, if you will refer to #2 above, it’s probably safe to say that you won’t even get the half piece.

Whew, that was quite a guest blog if I do say so myself. I only hope that she will be able to live up to the standard I have now set next time I go on vacation!

4 comments:

The Joiners said...

Ha ha ha we just got to our hotel room and I got on my laptop to check my e-mail... very amusing list, I must say! And I must inform you all that I do NOT leave the gum wrappers in my car anymore. I only did that to make Allison mad when we shared a car. I also used to only leave one piece of tp on the toilet paper role to make her mad... looks like it worked :) Thanks for the great guest blog, sis! Maybe you need to have mom do one too- ha ha!

*Kimmie* said...

Love it! I think that "sums" her up pretty well in a short novel! =) I came across an old box from high school recently that had a ton of old notes from you guys, I guess I don't throw anything away either!

Jenni said...

I love #7 because I definitely put on soccer shorts from 6th grade last week. Glad to hear I am not the only one. (c:

Jenni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.