Background template

Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas 2008: I almost met Dennis Quaid. And ate my weight in cookies.

Guess which of the above statements is true? That’s right, they both are. You’re jealous. Ok maybe you’re jealous of the first one, and sort of concerned about the second, but that’s beside the point.

So while I was in Austin for Christmas, my mom and I went on one of our marathon morning walks around my parents’ neighborhood. As we were winding around the tennis courts at the country club nearby (could that sound any more snobby? Sorry), a suburban drove by with a rather handsome man at the wheel. I turned to my mom and told her that the man driving looked a lot like Dennis Quaid. She said she didn’t notice, but that it could very well be him as he and his wife are building a house in Austin (my mom should have her own celebrity gossip blog, I tell you). So anyway, we kept walking.

We got down closer to the town homes by the lake and the same man walked about 5 feet away from us, flashing a smile as he passed by. After we were (hopefully) out of earshot, I turned to my mom and whispered that he had to be Dennis Quaid. No doubt about it. So we turned around at the next cul-de-sac and hurried up a bit to make sure we didn’t miss him. Right as we walked by, he yelled goodbye to his driver (yep, there’s a clue) and after we heard his voice, there was no doubt in our minds. Sure enough, it was Dennis Quaid.

I’m fairly sure that he would have stopped and flirted with us, but was perhaps distracted by our glaring lack of make-up… or the bright green high school Varsity soccer t-shirt from circa 2000 that I was sporting. Your loss, Dennis! But anyway, that was fun times.

And yes, the other statement is also very true. On Christmas day, I ate a cinnamon roll the size of my face for breakfast. For dessert, I followed it up with a handful of peanut butter M&Ms and 2 pieces of fudge. For a mid-day snack, I had 2 cookies, several handfuls of mint M&Ms, and a few Reese’s peanut butter cups. That was just my warm up for the remaining 2 days. And my body has spent the past 4 days raging against me in response. I will never learn my lesson.

We had a wonderful Christmas with both the Joiners and the Nelsons—we had fun getting to hang out with the fams, and the presents weren’t so bad either :o). As expected, we played several rounds of Bananagrams and Apples to Apples (apparently we only like to play games that involve fruity titles)—and my family actually (shockingly) agreed to play as well. Sadly, the Nelsons are not necessarily a game-loving family, unless you count rounds of charades that quickly turn inappropriate. But in the spirit of Christmas, MOM even participated. Magical things happen at Christmas-time, I tell you. Thank you, baby Jesus, for being born :o)

We also saw not one, but two movies in the theater over the break—The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Marley and Me. Here is my summary of both movies (both of which I really enjoyed): Benjamin Button: Forrest Gump meets The Notebook. The end. Marley and Me: A little bit of laughing and a lot of uncontrollable and embarrassing sobbing. The end. Maybe I should consider a career as a movie critic, no?

So anyway, we headed back to Richmond Saturday and Brian promptly abandoned me on Sunday morning to go lead a retreat. (There’s an invitation for strangers on the world wide web to come abduct me if I’ve ever seen one). Don’t worry, he gets back tomorrow, and in the meantime I am starving the dogs in hopes that they will be filled with rage and attack any intruders as a result. Kidding, they have been fed a-plenty. It’s very clear, however, that they miss their dad and prefer him over their uptight and un-fun mom. Poor guys.

Coming back to work was not as hard as I thought because fortunately I had a lot of catching up to do, and it made the day go by much more quickly. And I have spent my two solo evenings at home like any girl would- taking a bath, putting my PJs on well before an appropriate hour (is 6:30 pm too early?), and enjoying the blissful lack of sports-related rambling on ESPN coming from the tv. I have even turned the tv off early both nights (gasp) to read my latest book- Baby Proof by Emily Giffin. I wouldn't exactly call it "deep" reading, but hey, it probably beats mindlessly sitting in front of the tv, right? Right?!

Anyway, I am anxiously awaiting New Year’s Eve, as we will be ringing in the new year with 2 of our favorite couples—the Olivers and the Scibas. We are planning to eat at PF Chang’s (food coma, here I come!), and play games while we wait for midnight to arrive, at which time we will likely all turn into 25-year-old pumpkins and fall into a deep sleep. It’s fun being old and married :o)

Happy new year to you, friends/family/strangers- make it a great one!

4 comments:

Kelly and Andrew said...

woooohoooo charades!!! no one wants to play them with me!!! what's up with that nelsons??

The Blogivers said...

Mmm... peanut butter M&Ms...

risthina said...

Do you some one love pets. Hire if that saw I can give you a clue to see this wonderful movie to see. how a pet gave love to a family and what they really ask from god. Marley & Me (2008) is that movie I saw the movie on http://www.80millionmoviesfree.com it will be fascinating adventure stuff by a dog. It was the movie with lovely idea.

Sean and Stephanie said...

Sean and I went to see Benjamin Button for our anniversary, and I had the very same thoughts about it. Still good though!

Happy New Year, Amanda!