Background template

Monday, November 17, 2008

Why have children when you can have dogs?

Finally! We turned on the heater! It is a rare thing in Houston for the temperatures to be low enough to actually warrant turning on the heater. It’s definitely nice that it’s warmer inside the house than outside for a change. Looks like summer has finally decided to peace out… maybe now some of our leaves will start falling? Fat chance.

So we had another fun-filled weekend in Richmond. Allison and Wade came into town on Friday afternoon so that Allison could join my sister-in-law, mother-in-law, and me at the Houston Nutcracker Market. Immediately upon their arrival, they were forced into taking pictures for us in hopes of getting a good one for the Christmas card. Allison hates taking pictures for me, primarily because I have a tendency to be somewhat particular. You’re shocked to hear that, I know.

So anyway, the plan was to include Noah and Buster in the picture, which would have been totally fine IF our dogs weren’t mentally-handicapped and completely incapable of being obedient for more than 3 seconds at a time. Ok that’s an exaggeration, they can probably last a good 20 seconds. But anyway, problem number one was that the cat who lives across the street from us, Eli, decided to come frolic in our driveway, aka: mercilessly taunt and tease our dogs. We love Eli and kind of pretend he’s our cat, so we didn’t dare tell him to leave, but he sure wasn’t helping matters much. Let’s just say they were a tad bit distracted.

Well then Allison and Wade pulled up, adding to the excitement, and pulled Rocky (their little white puppy) out of the car. Confused as to what the convulsive fur ball was and why it was in their yard, Noah and Buster of course responded appropriately by trying their hardest to break free from their oppressive leashes and see what the heck was going on. Obviously Brian and I, their insufferably uptight parents, didn’t want them to eat Rocky (for some reason I think that would deter Wade and Allison from making any future visits…), so we held onto the leashes for dear life and didn’t let them go.

In the meantime, I hand the camera over to Allison and politely insist that she takes pictures of us with the dogs in a few different spots in the yard. I don’t have any of the attempts on this computer, but just trust me when I say that the dogs weren’t exactly focused on the camera*. I think this is a taste of what it would be like to photograph toddlers. Or bumble bees. Or something else jittery and uncooperative.

Well in between pictures, Buster apparently decided he would have no more of this oppression. And what did he do? Yes, he quickly gnawed his way off of the leash. Who does that? I guess he is smarter than we give him credit for, because I would have expected him to just continue pulling harder on the leash in hopes that we would let go. So he of course makes a run for it, making the painstakingly difficult decision of which animal to chase: Eli or Rocky. In the end, both little critters scattered away for fear of being licked to death by little Buster Brown.

Eventually a suitable Christmas card was taken, but needless to say, it was no easy task. And unfortunately for my husband, my frustration with the dogs was directed at him. Sorry, Noah and Buster, but I’m not sure we’ll be pushing to get you in any future family photo ops.

After that, Allison and I spent the evening shopping with Terrie and Shannon at the Christmas Market. But if we’re going to be honest, only one non-food-related item was purchased, and we spent most of the time sampling toffee. I’m not even that crazy about toffee, but there were enough samples to feed a small country, and who I am to refuse free food? We followed the evening up with dinner at a very townie Mexican food restaurant—La Cocina. The food probably isn’t the best in the Houston area, but there was no wait at 7 pm on a Friday night, so you won’t hear me complaining! And my mother-in-law very kindly bought our dinner, so a big shout out to Terrie for that—thanks, MIL!

We finished the evening up by hanging out with Rocky and the boys at the house before calling it a night. The Olivers left early on Saturday, so because we were already up, we decided to hit up Walmart. Brian did whisper “Bingo” to me a few times during our trip, but I must say that it is a much, um, classier crowd at 10 am versus, say, Sunday afternoon. We spent the rest of the day running errands and (get excited) we finally went to see High School Musical 3. It was just as I expected—cheesy, predictable, and totally awesome. I don’t think Brian was all that impressed, but I bribed him with dinner after the movie at Five Guys (read: greasy hamburger and fries), so he kept his mouth shut. Thanks, Brian!

For some reason, when we got home from the movie, Brian thought it would be a good idea to turn on the Vince Vaughn re-make of Psycho right before bed. If you’ve seen the movie, I think it goes without saying that I didn’t take a bath that night. On Sunday we did the usual church activities and watched our latest Netflix movie—Ratatouille. Very cute. And to answer your question, yes, we did watch a lot of movies this weekend.

Now we’re back to another work week, but fortunately, Thanksgiving is in sight, as is a 6-day weekend for me (putting my vacation days to good use!), so I think I’ll survive until then. I’ll do my best to blog later this week, and hopefully it won’t be a detailed chronicle of the happenings of my life, since I know that probably isn’t as fun for you to read as it is for me to write. Adios, peeps!

*Edited to add: I got on my laptop at home and thought I'd add a pic that really captures the essence of our Christmas card photo shoot. They look so focused, right? Just not on the camera, unfortunately...

8 comments:

Angela said...

That's a pretty cute picture...even if they aren't looking at the camera. I have a feeling that our picture this year won't be very good, either. Especially since Zipper feels that it's his duty to smell and lick at Baggie as much as he can any time he is anywhere near her. And she does not appreciate it, by the way :)

P.s. Five Guys is totally awesome!

The Blogivers said...

When you say "somewhat particular" about picture-taking, do you mean "really picky and hostile"? :)

Sara said...

That is a great picture - Noah and Buster are so cute! Sounds like a fun weekend :)

Sean and Stephanie said...

The picture looks cute, I think!

Toddlers aren't that hard to photograph if you bribe them with candy (not that I would EVER do that!). It's getting the baby to look picture perfect that'll be tricky. They're all crossed-eyed and fussy or tired or drooling or hands in the mouth.....you get the point.

But my view is a perfect, smiley, pristine picture of our family would not be entirely accurate. Maybe we'll take a realistic one this year of Mom and Dad with bags under our eyes and spit up on our shirts looking exhausted while the precious angel children are screaming their heads off in the background. How warm and fuzzy would that card be :)!?!

Dezzy Lou Where Are You said...

I like the picture! Dogs can be so much work sometimes

Here is my email for some recipes =)
dezzy8383@hotmail.com

shannon said...

haha i just laughed out loud when i saw that picture

jennifer said...

Hey... J.Russell here... love the pic -- you look beautiful. And as much as I don't want to say it... the brown dog has his... umm... "lipstick" out.
It made me laugh.

The Joiners said...

Ha ha sadly no surprise there- that seems to happen quite frequently with both pups! Hope you're doing well, whatever you're doing!