Happy Halloween, peeps! Sounds like everyone has fun plans for the evening, so that’s a plus. I am packed and ready to head to Austin for a little Nelson family Halloween bonding… it’s ok to be jealous.
In other news, when will this election be over? And I’m not just talking about the presidential election, because to be honest, it hasn’t been as big of a pain in my butt lately as the local elections. If I have to see one more commercial about how Joe Bob Smith wins the award for “biggest liar” and “most false attack on his competitor,” or about how Judge Nobody-cares one time got a speeding ticket, I am going to head butt the television set. Seriously. First of all, has anyone ever taught you, Campaign Marketing Chairman, that the more time you spend talking about someone else, the less time you are talking about the candidate you are actually trying to promote? And guess what… when it comes time to vote, I am more likely to remember the person’s name than I am to remember the bad things you said about him, so pounding his name into my brain (even if you follow it up with some version of “is a moron”) is not doing you any favors.
Phew. I feel better now that I have that off my chest.
So now, in honor of Halloween, I’m going to share with you my top 10 favorite types of candy. I was going to limit it to 5, but it’s no secret that I am big into candy, so I figured I might as well go for 10. Hope it doesn’t make you hungry!!
Top 10 Favorite types of Candy (in no particular order):
1. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - best. candy. ever. I could eat these for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and feel no shame... minus the morbid obesity thing. And this also happens to be my preferred topping/"mixing" in DQ blizzards!
2. Twix - the best part is that there are 2 of them, so it's a good one to share!
3. Kit-Kat - I once told y'all about how my classy family used to stop at 7-11 every Sunday after church, and in addition to my Coke and Cheetoh Puffs, a Kit-Kat (one of those giant ones) was always a staple in my "meal."
4. Starbursts - I'm straying away from chocolate momentarily to bring you my favorite fruity candy. Red and pink are my favorites, but I really don't discriminate with candy, so I eat them all.
5. Skittles - a close second in the running for favorite fruity candy. Skittles are my most common choice from a vending machine, but I'm not sure why? Maybe because of my theory that fruity candy can't possibly be as bad for you as chocolatey candy.
6. Dark Chocolate Hershey's Kisses - I think it's well-known that I keep a well-stocked supply of these at home, and that I eat one every day with my lunch. They say dark chocolate isn't as bad for you, so that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
7. Snickers - My dear old Dad was once rumored to eat 17 of these in one day... maybe that's where I got the affinity for them? Snickers Ice Cream bars are also amazing.
8. Baby Ruth - I ate these a lot in my younger days (and somehow managed to come out under 200 pounds), but haven't had one lately. Feel free to send me a bag :)
9. Gummy Bears - I'm not sure if these count as candy, but I don't know what else they would count as? Either way, I love them, especially when I'm sick. Strange, I know.
10. Tootsie Rolls - I kid you not when I say that my mom keeps bags of these hidden around the house. She hides them for fear that my dad (the Snickers-fiend) will find them and raid her supply. I'm pretty sure she's addicted to them, and it seems she has passed that along to me.
11. (sorry, I couldn't leave these out) M&Ms - Dark chocolate, peanut, peanut butter, milk chocolate, I don't really care. I just love them. And I think the talking ones are cute :)
So what about you, what candy are you hoping to find in your trick-or-treat bag tonight?