Background template

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Men are from Mars

So I started to write a blog this morning detailing my current frustrations and pet peeves. Consider yourselves fortunate that I stopped myself from posting it :o) But I am now in a better mood (and I think they even bumped the office thermostat up a degree to 51 degrees instead of 50- halleluiah!), so I decided I’d give blogging another go.

First of all, you should all know that Saturday (9/6) is Grandparents’ Day. Brian and I took my dad’s parents out to dinner last night to celebrate, and much fun was had by all. Believe it or not, we ate Mexican food, and believe it or not, I overdosed on tortilla chips. Some things never change. Anyway, make sure you celebrate as well. Saturday is ALSO Youth Worker’s appreciation day! In order to honor my Youth Minister husband, I am ditching him to go to a bachelorette party in Dallas. But don’t worry, I didn’t forget about him- I am leaving him a gift certificate (that I earned, mind you) for a free large pizza from Papa John’s to consume in my absence. Now that’s love.

Speaking of my husband, I just have to share this morning’s amusing experience with you in which I felt like a proud mom on my son’s first day of Kindergarten. We went to the YMCA this morning for our bi-weekly work-out together. Usually Brian is waiting for me when I finish on the elliptical (most likely anxious to leave), but today he wasn’t in his usual spot. I scanned the room and noticed him over by the weights… chatting with another guy who looked to be about our age. This is unusual for many reasons (ok 2 reasons): 1. Brian is not so much a morning person, and isn’t exactly the type to be social before the hour of, oh, say, noon. 2. The only people that work out at our YMCA are old! I’m talking like 60+ years of age here, people.

Anyway, so once he had finished chatting and joined me for our walk home, I of course had to inquire about his interaction with this stranger. He then let me know that while he was working out, he heard these 2 other guys talking about football, and they happened to bring up the Aggies. Like a moth to a flame, he could not help but join in on the conversation. That would be like expecting me not to jump in on a conversation about blogging. Or eating. Or being a townie. Or cockroaches. Or, let’s be honest, anything, really.

So anyway, Brian and these two guys got to chatting about the ins and outs of football (I won’t pretend to know or care about the details), and one of them even invited him to join their fantasy football league! Substitute these men for 5-year-old boys and substitute the fantasy football invite to trading fruit snacks in the cafeteria and I think you’ll see why I felt the way I did. Brian probably hates me for thinking this interaction was “cute,” but hey, you said your vows and now you are legally and morally stuck with me… sweetie :o)

Who knows? Maybe these guys will become Brian’s new BFFs. Let's just hope they have cool wives for me to hang out with. Looks like the YMCA is good for more than we thought!

3 comments:

The Olivers said...

Your mom is from Mars.

The Armstrong Family said...

That is a hilarious story! Guys are so funny with their fantasy leagues. Please keep us updated on the friendships!

Bonnie said...

Oh c'mon! I'd love to hear your pet peeves. ;)