Background template

Monday, September 15, 2008

I would say with certainty that we made it into that cone...

Yep, Ike sure did make landfall. But have no fear, the Joiners are alive and well! But wow, what a weekend it was. As I'm sure was the case for everyone else in the area, we didn't exactly get a lot of sleep on Friday night. The wind was SO loud- I have really never heard anything like it. I was fairly sure at one point that it was going to pick up our house and move it, or at least spin it around in circles a few times, but fortunately that was not the case.

Our power went out around 5 am, and as you can imagine, we didn't stay in bed too much longer after that before getting up for the day. It didn't take long for us to discover how utterly dependent we are on electricity. We spent a better part of the morning sitting in the dark staring out the window and debating whether or not to head out of town to a place where the Mexican food was abundant and the air conditioning was free flowing.

We let the dogs out once the winds had died down and they were pretty excited to have so many fallen branches to play with. They were not, however, excited about the RAT that had taken shelter on our porch next to their food bowls. And when I say rat, I want you to picture a small horse... it was huge. Maybe I'm exaggerating a little.

Anyway, I'm not sure whether it was the lack of A/C, the messiness of our yard, or the inability to watch the storm coverage on TV, but something sent me into a blind rage fairly early in the day. I stayed that way until mid-afternoon (lucky Brian) when we decided to go check out the church's youth building. It is an old portable building- not exactly the model of stability- and we were sure that it would be damaged, if not gone entirely. But fortunately, there was no damage and the power was still on! So we set up camp there, and spent the rest of the afternoon watching the news on the tv and playing the Wii to distract ourselves. Nothing makes your worries disappear quite like playing make believe sports.

Once we realized the power would not be coming back on for the night at our house, we decided to join Brian's parents and head to his grandparents' house in La Grange where a hot shower and an air-conditioned bedroom awaited us. It was magical. We got up the next morning (in hopes of beating the traffic brought on by the returning evacuees) and made it back to Richmond just in time to find that our power had been turned back on! Hooray!

We realize that we are very, very fortunate, as the news is showing that most of the area is still without power, and many places without water as well. There are pretty ridiculous lines at the gas stations and at the grocery stores- if I was selling gas, ice, and bread right now, I would be a rich woman.

Anyway, this is not a very exciting post, but I thought you all might be interested in hearing about how we "weathered" the storm. I think it's official that I don't want to go through any more hurricanes. And it's also official that I really. hate. raking. a. lot. Good thing I have a husband to do most of it, right? :o)

Peace out, Ike! Don't come back!

7 comments:

Angela said...

Glad you made it through all right!

Angela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Armstrong Family said...

Amanda, I am so glad that y'all are okay and have your power back on! Ike was a fierce storm. Although we didn't experience much, our WalMart was out of water and batteries by Friday PM. Crazy!
P.S. - The rat sounds disgusting!

Dezzy Lou Where Are You said...

Im so glad you guys are safe and sound!

Sean and Stephanie said...

Lovin' the new look of your blog!

We're still without power but are in the comforts of my parents' casa until we get it. Glad Ike wasn't too hard on y'all.

Ellen and Bill said...

We have no power water phone or cell phone service on one of our phones. My office opens tomorrow and has showers. We took showers in the rain. Can not leave the ca(s so we are stuck. But have laptop dvd player ipods with books and lots of batteries. Just toasted a bagel on the gas grill.

Stacey Harrison said...

love the new blog layout. and I am totally jealous you have power, I still don't. i am at work now getting my fix of the internet.