Background template

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The not-so-tropical storm

So as many of you might have heard, Tropical Storm Edouard (who spells it like that?) made landfall on the Texas coast today. Here in the H-town area, we are supposed to see wind, rain, and possibly some tornadoes. A lot of business and school districts are closed for the day, but as luck would have it, here I am at work. Such is life.

And here's a thought- doesn't "tropical storm" sound like a bit of an oxymoron? When I think "tropical," I think happy, beachy thoughts. When I think "storm," not so much. Maybe it's just me.

Ok so typically I am admittedly a glass-half-empty kind of person… quick to see the negative in a situation. This is a bad habit, I’m aware! But thankfully I married a glass-half-full kind of guy to balance me out :) So anyway, I am going to surprise you by sharing what I find to be some of the benefits of a hurricane/tropical storm:

1. Less traffic—if most people don’t have to be out during bad weather, they stay home, therefore freeing up the normally busy roads for the rest of us!

2. Cooler weather! Wind + rain = lower temps, and here in Texas, we are always up for lower temperatures in the summer time.

3. Added excitement—nothing makes a dull day seem more interesting like watching a giant red/yellow/green blur move across a digital map.

4. Hunkering down… you have to admit that the idea of curling up on the couch in the dark while it’s raining outside sounds kind of appealing, regardless of whether or not there are lives at stake.

Just call me Mrs. Optimistic! And then maybe I can marry that cartoon guy on the car commercials named Mr. Opportunity… that would be fun times.

Speaking of fun times, Brian and I had a wonderful first anniversary yesterday—thanks to all the well-wishers! Some of the highlights: a pretty bouquet of flowers brought to me at work, a surprise lunch at the Cupcake Café, and a very tasty (and filling) dinner at Perry’s… finished off with a “Happy Anniversary” cheesecake, compliments of the restaurant. If you ask me, we should have anniversaries more often!

Have a great day, readers, and try to steer clear of Edouard. Oh, and if you could please pray for me to get out of work early, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

And PS- Happy 2nd anniversary to the Olivers!

6 comments:

The Olivers said...

I really really really don't like the name of this tropical storm/hurricane - just so you know.

The Olivers said...

Oh and thanks for the shout-out!

Dezzy Lou Where Are You said...

I was hoping for really bad weather until I realized I have to work BOTH of my jobs today. Hunker down for me, too!

the cole family: said...

glad you had a good anniversary! i've never heard of the cupcake factory...is that a nickname, or is that a real place?

the cole family: said...

that would be "Cupcake Cafe" i guess, not factory

Dezzy Lou Where Are You said...

by the way... Im a little let down by the action we saw here in Austin from the tropical storm. Did you guys get anything?