Background template

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The moral of the story: listen to your mom.

So with the start of school this week, teachers and moms are understandably blogging about the first day of school. Well I don’t fall into either of those categories, but I might as well jump on the bandwagon anyway, right?

My first day of school (ever) (not counting pre-school)

The day before Kindergarten was spent like most summer days—playing outside. Some time late that afternoon/early evening, my brother and his best friend (aka: partner-in-crime) were playing a totally cool game that involved jumping from our porch over the bushes and onto the lawn. Daredevils, I know. Being the hot shot 5-year-old that I was, I had no choice but to join in, or else I risked having two 8-year-old boys think I was a pansy. And with a reputation to protect (clearly), I just couldn’t have that.

Well this would have been just fine and dandy, except for the fact that I was breaking my mom’s cardinal rule by playing outside with (duh duh duh) NO SHOES ON. Playing outside barefoot always leads to trouble, FYI. So anyway, I took a running leap across the front porch, and to my amazement, I cleared the bushes! Sadly, I didn’t have much time to relish in my victory as I quickly realized that I had landed one foot right on top of the metal flowerbed liner and had managed to cut my foot open. Big trouble.

I rushed inside to calmly inform my mom of the incident, at which time she simultaneously lectured me about the risks of playing outside with no shoes on while swooping me into the car to take me to the emergency room. I had to get stitches and they had to wrap my foot in bandages, and I left the hospital with warnings not to run on it or put too much pressure on it.

Well fast forward to the next morning: I excitedly got ready for the big day and was ready to finish off my outfit with a brand new pair of pink Keds. Let it just suffice to say that I was a little upset that I couldn’t tie up the laces of my Keds because my gigantic wrapped foot wouldn’t fit snuggly inside with the laces tied. Disappointment # 1 of my first day of school.

I don’t remember anything else about the day except for disappointment # 2: it was time for recess and, like my cool new Kindergarten friends, I wanted to spend my time running around and playing tag, or something equally athletic and challenging. I remember very clearly when my teacher called me over and gently reminded me that I wasn’t supposed to be running on my gimp foot. Um, embarrassing.

How does the story end, you ask? My foot healed (with no scar!) and I was soon able to join along in the romping at recess. And don’t you worry, I continued to rock those pink Keds on a regular basis… WITH the laces tied.




Oh, and here's a picture of me when I was little. I was probably 3 or 4 here, so not quite Kindergarten-aged, but close enough!

3 comments:

Angela said...

Haha so cute! I don't remember my first day of school...but perhaps that's because I didn't have any sort of traumatic event there to burn it into my memory. :)

Dezzy Lou Where Are You said...

I wish I could remember that far back- thats impressive!

The Olivers said...

You forgot the part where I asked if you wanted to race downstairs!