Background template

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Silence is golden.

I wish I could say I’ve waited almost a week to blog because I’ve been really busy, but sadly, that is not the case. I will start by recommending a restaurant to you—Five Guys Burgers and Fries. I first read about this magical place on Mindy’s blog, but didn’t think much of it. Just a few weeks later, Brian’s friend Chris, who lives in Washington DC, called to inform him that Five Guys was coming to Rosenberg (Richmond’s other half). Well it opened last week, and Friday night we decided to give it a try.

If you are planning on trying out Five Guys, which I recommend that you do, then you need to be aware that literally all they serve is burgers and fries. And they are amazing. And that concludes my very professional and impressive review of the restaurant.

We followed up our cheeseburger and fries dinner by going to Dairy Queen to get blizzards. Because if you are already stuffing your face to the point of morbid obesity, then you might as well just go for the gold. I’m not sure what it is about DQ blizzards that makes me love them so, but I am starting to think that they mix some kind of addictive drug in with the ice cream. In case you were curious, my favorite blizzard is a Reese’s blizzard, and I very rarely rotate. If I do try something different, it’s going to be Kit Kat or cookie dough. Then there is Brian, who pretty much gets a different one every time we go. The blizzard of the month is the Thin Mint blizzard which contains actual Girl Scout thin mint cookies… I tried it and was impressed.

I am a little embarrassed to admit how much I love Dairy Queen (although really, all I love about them is the blizzards), primarily because I spent the better part of my youth believing that Dairy Queens only existed in very small towns and that you were only allowed to frequent them if you wore overalls with no undershirt or sported jorts on a regular basis. But being the townie that I am, my ways have changed, and I am embracing my obsession… so much so that I recently became a member of this amazing club.

Ok now I’m a little embarrassed that I spent 4 paragraphs talking about food, and fast food at that. Moving along: yes, Brian is out of town again. What would a blog entry be from me if I didn’t mention Brian being gone and something about cockroaches? And because we haven’t (knock on wood) seen any cockroaches in the house in the last week or so, I am going to talk about the former instead of the latter.

Brian left at 5 am on Sunday morning and I am already anxious for him to get home. Last night while I was on the phone with him, I saw light coming in from the bathroom window, and although Brian swears this happens every night as a result of headlights of cars turning onto the street behind us, I was fairly convinced that it was a rapist frolicking around my backyard with a flashlight. If you didn’t already, please try to visualize a rapist frolicking. It’s pretty amusing if you think about it.

Anyway, I somehow managed to fall asleep and woke up unharmed, but I can just about guarantee you that I will struggle with the same fear tonight when I see that light coming in the window again. When did I become such a big baby? I lived in an apartment alone for a year and managed to tough it out somehow. I blame marriage.

Speaking of marriage, just 6 more days until Brian and I can celebrate our one-year-anniversary! I will post more about that at a later date and time, but you should know that I am pretty excited. Anniversaries rank just under birthdays in my book (unfortunately for Brian), so I have high hopes that it will be a good day. We are going out to dinner to a restaurant whose name has not yet been disclosed to me, but Brian did assure me that it’s not in the Rich-Rose area, for which I am thankful. Don’t get me wrong, there are some great townie eateries, but they aren’t exactly fancy and romantic. Like me. Ha.

And because I very rarely blog without referring to a pet peeve, allow me to close this entry with one of my recent pet peeves: when people talk on the phone in the bathroom. I think Allison wrote about this recently, so forgive me if it feels like a repeat. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is so urgent and important that you have to discuss it in a public restroom. I think this pet peeve is probably commonly held, so no need for me to go into it any further. However, I did want to tack on 2 things (which occur semi-frequently at my place of work) that make talking on your cell phone in the bathroom even more obnoxious:

1. Speaking LOUDLY in a foreign language. At least if you are going to make us listen to your conversation, make it so that we can understand what you are talking about.
2. Talking on SPEAKER PHONE. Seriously? It’s bad enough that we have to listen to your series of “likes” and “OMG”s, but now we have to listen to your friend as well?

Can you imagine our grandmothers doing this? Mine would be horrified. And I am too. And in fact, maybe to retaliate, next time I catch someone chatting on their cell phone in the bathroom, I will just flush the toilet over and over and over again until they decide to leave. Now there’s an idea!

9 comments:

Dezzy Lou Where Are You said...

1) Reeses is my fave as well (Reeses in anything, really)
2) People always talk on their cells in the bathroom at ACS and its horrifying. I cant imagine being on the phone with someone and hearing toilets flushing in the background. Sick stuff.

Lauren & Zack said...

Yum! I LOVE blizzards! My favorite is Heath bar, but sometimes I get Butterfinger or Reeses. Good times! Oh and speaking of roaches, I thought of you the other day. My mom fell asleep on our couch and she woke up when a roach fell onto her ear! EWWWWWWWWW!! Ahh that gives me the creeps just thinking about it!

The Olivers said...

I'm sorry to inform you that I haven't recently blogged about the bathroom phone talkers, but I did complain about it in an email to you, so I guess that counts. And I think I'm going to send Wade to your backyard tonight to frolic around and scare you - you have been warned.

The Joiners said...

So Allison, are you calling Wade a rapist? And Lauren, that is so creepy- I seriously would have had vomited everywhere!

Graham and Storey said...

Graham and I have split a thin mint blizzard once a week since they came out with the wonderful creation. Genius!

Risa said...

FIVE GUYS is incredible. And just as a warning to all those who have yet to experience it, the regular burger there has 2 patties, yes 2. So order the small/mini/whatever they call it if you just want one piece of meat. And I can't believe they are now in Texas...I like to think I brought a piece of DC with me to Texas. Ha.

Jenni said...

I was lucky enough to experience Five Guys this weekend during our quick trip to Alexandria! One word...AMAZING! I agree with Risa on the mini, though - it is plenty. The fries are great, too! Oh, and I am with you on the whole bathroom/phone thing. Yuck.

Angela said...

1. We have a 5 Guys here where I live, but I've never been there. I've heard that it's good, though. I'll have to try it!
2. I like blizzards (Reeses or Snickers!), but I'm more of a banana split kind of girl.
3. I don't talk on the phone in the bathroom, but I've been known to send a text message....not sure if that's just as bad. There is, however, a woman who works with me who openly talks while she uses the restroom and will even tell the person she's talking to what she's doing!!

Mary Helen said...

You just made me laugh out loud about the whole talking on the phone in the bathroom thing! People do that at my office and I don't understand it either. I can only imagine listening to someone talk on speakerphone though :)