Background template

Monday, July 7, 2008

Hi ho, hi ho, it's back to work I (grudgingly) go...

Happy belated 4th of July to you all! I realize I have not posted in over a week, and please know that I am losing sleep over it. Ok that’s not true… I’m actually losing sleep because I keep having work-related dreams, like that I am assigned to give a huge company presentation on the sport of soccer and no one ends up attending. Fear of failure much? I think so.

So many exciting things to share with you that I don’t even know where to start! We had a fun-filled weekend with the Olivers in Richmond, and tried our best to convince them that we weren’t rapidly evolving into trailer trash. Brian didn’t help matters much when he went outside to play with the dogs wearing a green t-shirt, bright orange Adidas shorts, and cowboy boots, but oh well. And believe it or not, they actually REQUESTED to go to the Dollar Store! Last time they visited (in November), we dragged them there for lack of anything better to do, but this time it was their idea. And I must say that they found some useful items. And I also must say that they left behind some useful items—such as a 99 cent doo-rag, a 99 cent candle that smelled like butt, and a 99 cent pair of underwear. But not to worry, they can always pick those things up on their next visit.

We also ensured future visits from the Olivers by quickly getting them hooked on Guitar Hero 3. Not quite as educational as Hooked on Phonics, but definitely more entertaining. Allison has a special way of playing the game which involves stomping to the beat and making strange faces. Wade, of course (I say of course because I think all males were built with a special video game gene that automatically makes video games easier for them), picked up on the game quickly and was playing on the Hard level before the weekend was over. I was forced unwillingly into moving up to the Medium level by Wade and Brian, who think I was simply continuing to play on the Easy level because I don’t like participating in things that I’m not good at (yes, I know I ended that sentence with a preposition). Again, fear of failure much? And they are right, because every time I get below 90 percent on the Medium level, I die a little inside.

Moving along, the dogs wreaked havoc over the weekend as expected. Not only did Buster escape from the yard TWICE in one day (he found a new route), but he also chewed his collar to shreds AND ate a chunk out of one of the wheels on our "new" (new to us) bbq grill. Brian and his dad spent several hours cleaning and repairing the grill so that it would be ready and raring to go on the 4th of July. And while it still functioned just fine with a chunk missing from one of the wheels, it wasn’t quite as pleasing aesthetically. And let’s not forget the fact that this “snack” resulted in Buster spending the better part of the day vomiting and sulking around the backyard. That’s what you get for eating rubber, dummy. He is making Noah look smarter every day.

Allison and Wade left to head back to Austin yesterday and Brian and I spent the rest of Sunday resting and recovering from all the fun we’d had. I guess we are turning into old people (maybe the Olivers are rubbing off on us?) because we were really worn out after all the eating, walking, and staying up past our 9:30 pm bed time. We ended the weekend by watching our latest Netflix pick—I am Legend. Minus one unnecessary canine death in the movie, I enjoyed it. It almost makes me feel bad for refusing to watch the movie with Brian in the theater when it was out a few months ago. But then again, I did agree to go see Transformers with him last 4th of July, so I think I’m still using up the bonus points that I gained from that one.

As you would expect, I was none too pleased when my alarm clock when off at 5:18 this morning, thus ending my weekend of fun and beginning another week of work. And as you might also expect, when I opened the curtain to turn on the shower, there was a small (but still disgusting) roach crawling around in the tub to greet me. And yes, to answer your question, I did wake Brian up and ask him to come kill it. And he did. The end.

Oh and PS- Allison and I used to LOVE Smartfood white cheddar popcorn (pictured here) when we were growing up. We ate it all the time, and when my dad would pick up New York Sub and bring home bags of it with our sandwiches, we were known to get into some pretty intense twin fights over who got the fuller bag. Allison and Amanda fighting over something petty as children? Shocking, I know. But trust me, it was nothing compared to the fights over whose turn it was to sit in the front seat of the car or who got to wear the infamous Old Navy white mock-turtleneck shirt first…

Anyway back to the point. Yesterday when we went grocery shopping at Kroger, they had 100 calorie packs of the popcorn! Of course I HAD to buy a box, even if it is ridiculously overpriced. I can’t wait to eat them with my lunch this week… I’ll let you know how it goes.

Have a great Monday!

3 comments:

Angela said...

I very much absolutely 100% agree with you that the canine death was totally uncalled for! (and yes, I ended that sentence with a preposition :)

The Olivers said...

I TRIED ON THE WHITE MOCK TURTLENECK SHIRT! IT BELONGED TO ME!

Lauren & Zack said...

i love guitar hero! so much fun :) and rock band is lots of fun too! oh and I haven't seen "I am Legend" just because I heard about the canine death, and couldn't bring myself to watch it (haha i know, pathetic)...but i also heard it was scary too, so probably not the best movie for me