Background template

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Adult swim

Recently Brian and I decided to spend a little time at his parents’ neighborhood pool. And by decided, I mean that my skin’s lack of pigment insisted that I go outside in the sun. And Brian, forever a kid at heart, is never one to resist the opportunity to spend a summer day near the water.

When we arrived, we found that the pool was packed full of families who apparently had the same idea as we did… although their aim was more likely to find a way to entertain their bored children. Of course the pool was filled with little kids playing Sharks and Minnows, pre-teen girls flirting with the significantly older lifeguards, and the parents resting as peacefully as possible on the nearby lounge chairs.

Brian and I were participating in said lounging, listening to our ipods and trying our best not to melt from the temperature. All of a sudden, one of the lifeguards stood up from her chair and blew her whistle. I looked up, expecting to see a rebellious little boy being publicly scolded for running by the pool or diving in the shallow end. But instead, I hear the lifeguard yell, “ADULT SWIM!”

Adult swim? I haven’t heard those words in forever, which I guess is due to the fact that I haven’t been to a public pool in forever. All of the kids responded appropriately by groaning and acting like their lives had just come abruptly to a tragic end. Meanwhile, some of the lounging parents scurried quickly into the pool to make the most of the allotted 10 minutes. Rather than swimming, most of them actually just stood in the water looking pleased not to have anyone interrupting their pool time with cannon balls or breath-holding contests.

And me? I sat there and thought to myself, “Lucky adults… 10 minutes all to themselves, kid-free!” ……………… Yes, I TOTALLY and completely lumped myself into the kid group. In my brain, “adult swim” did not apply to me in any way, shape, or form. Um reality check—I’m 25 years old and married. I think that classifies me as an adult.

Am I alone or have any of you had these strange light bulb moments where it suddenly dawned on you that you have gone over to the dark side and are no longer one of the kids? And by the way, I decided to take full advantage of the fact that I’m “allowed” to be a part of adult swim and climbed right on into that pool, despite the fact that I really had no interest in doing so at the time. But I will admit that I did feel a little bit guilty when I got in, as if surely the other adults were going to stare me down and demand to see my grown-up badge as proof that I was of age. But don’t worry, they didn’t.

I’ll leave you with one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite tv shows: “We're adults... when did that happen? And how do we make it stop?" -Meredith (Grey's Anatomy)

4 comments:

Angela said...

My husband asks me all the time if I feel grown up. It doesn't help that I look like I'm only about 17. I would say that most of the time I really don't think about it. But when I do think about it, and I remember that I have a full time job, I pay a mortgage, a car payment, utility bills, etc...that makes me feel grown up! But when we go to my parents house, yeah--I'm still just a kid.

Dezzy Lou Where Are You said...

I CONSTANTLY whine about how I feel like all of a sudden were all "grown ups" and how I believe I more appropriately fit into the "Pre-Adult" category.

Kelly and Andrew said...

I would have been all about the Adult Swim. You are right though, you have to sit and think for a minute if we count as adults. I'd be afraid they would blow their whistle and tell me to get out!!!

Anonymous said...

never saw such b4.. [url=http://bit.ly/6DwsFE]Sexy.[/url]

help would be cool and i get pics unlocked