Background template

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

AARP or bust.

I received an e-mail from my grandpa (or “Roy” as we creatively call him) last night at 11:30 pm… a good 2 hours after I went to sleep. He is 85 years old… a good 60 years older than I am. Does anyone else think this makes me kind of pathetic? But props to you, Roy, on being such a night owl! Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go soak my dentures and get one of the nurses to give me a sponge bath.

No worries, I like being “mature for my age”—that’s the description I use to make myself feel better. And no matter what, Allison and Wade will always be far more elderly than Brian and I are, so that will always be my consolation. Love you, sis!

In case you haven’t heard (or in case you don’t read the news/live under a rock) there is a hurricane wreaking havoc on the Texas coastline at present. Don’t worry, it’s not headed for Houston, so we are in the clear. All we are getting is a little bit of rain and a lot of wind, both of which we need (to cool things down), so you won’t find me complaining. However, with the amount of news coverage it gets here, you would think Hurricane Dolly was making a beeline straight for downtown.

This will be my first hurricane season in H-town, so I am just now learning the protocol. For example, I learned that if you see giant flashing warning signs that say, “HURRICANE FORMING IN THE GULF. FILL UP YOUR GAS TANKS.” scattered intermittently along the freeway, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you need to panic and take immediate shelter. And I should also add that part of me wonders if those signs were actually funded by Shell and Chevron (rather than the government), but whatever :o)

I really don’t have much else to report, except that I am growing more and more inclined to turn my back on Walmart. I am just really tired of the shady produce area that requires extensive investigating just to find anything edible, the lack of variety in the products offered, and please don’t even get me started on their inability to keep everyday items stocked on a regular basis. Brian and I have gone to Wally World on several occasions in search of basic weekly groceries (spinach, pasta, etc.) only to find they were out. Seriously? That’s like if I went to McDonald's and ordered a burger, only to be informed that they are currently out of burger meat. I don’t actually go to McDonald’s for hamburgers, but still.

Last night was the final straw (possibly) when I realized they don’t carry the Wild Berry Skittles (the purple ones) that I have recently fallen in love with (dangling preposition). I understand that they are not as popular as the regular Skittles, but COME ON. If you can carry chocolate Skittles in your store, I think you can handle throwing in a few packs of the Wild Berry variety. I settled on Gummy Bears, and while I enjoyed every single little bear I ate, I still left the store feeling a little disgruntled. Sadly, much like my sister’s battle with Starbucks, I have a feeling that my threat to abandon Walmart is an empty one.

Kroger, which I have found to be quite the rage in the Houston area (if any grocery store can actually be “the rage”… there I go sounding like a senior citizen again), is always much more enjoyable. The store is cleaner, the other customers are cleaner (sad, but true), the variety of choices is better, AND you don’t have to bag your own groceries. But of course, they are also more expensive. And thus the eternal debate continues. I know, I know, how do I even get up in the mornings with questions like these weighing on my mind? I lead such a hard life :o)

4 comments:

The Olivers said...

it would have been more appropriate if you had said kroger was the coolest/newest thing since sliced bread.

Ellen and Bill said...

Living in Houston area is not Austin. Even when I lived in town, it was not any better. Houston does not have the customer service demands that Austin does. I get mad at all the grocery stores, WalMart, Kroger and HEB. They are always out of things. HEB does have the best produce and I'm lucky to have two of the market stores close by. I constantly find myself going to 3 stores to get everything I need. One WalMart on my way home is out of cheap cat food (for the raccoons) half the time I go there. Personally I agree with Allison on shopping at HEB, the produce is better and the prices are better. Plus they have a bigger selection.

Risa said...

You don't have an HEB!?!? After being in Virginia in the world of Safeways (yuck!) and Giants (even more yuck!) I am sooooo glad to be back to the HEB.

Kelly and Andrew said...

you aren't a loser. i am in bed usually by 8:00. that is my favorite place to watch TV. andrew and i jokingly say we are going to watch "the wheel". then we end up watching something like "Lockdown: RAW" which is where inmates discuss prison life. or andrew has recorded 5,000 shows about the life of a caterpillar or something... now talk about being OLD!