Background template

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Sick day

So I ended up staying home from work today because I was feeling so crummy. Taking a sick day is hard for me to swallow (no pun intended)... it makes me feel as though I am admitting defeat to this stupid cold. But nonetheless, I think a day of rest has served me well because I am feeling at least 823048234 times better than I did last night/this morning.

I feel as though I can't mention the apparent improvement in my health without giving credit where credit is due - to Zicam. Allison suggested that I try this remedy for my cold, and as Brian used up the last of our cold and sinus medicine before he left (thanks, Bri!), I was desperate and willing to try just about anything.

For those of you who haven't used Zicam, it's a cold remedy intended to lessen the severity and shorten the duration of colds (that sounded very professional of me... maybe I should get a role on Grey's Anatomy?). It comes in various forms, including a nose swab (gross), chewable tablets, etc. I opted for the citrus-flavored Rapid Release dissolving tablets with extra Vitamin C. I am supposed to take one every 3 hours until the cold is gone.

Ok so yes, Zicam has proven successful for me so far, but nonetheless there are just a few claims on the box that I would like to dispute:

1. "Great tasting flavor" - Raise your hand if you would describe a chalky cotton ball mixture with a slight hint of an orange sweet tart as "great tasting." No one? Yeah, me neither. I think I would almost prefer to drown some dog poop in a glass of orange juice and consume that instead. Ok... well I actually wouldn't prefer that, but you get the idea.
2. "Quickly dissolves in your mouth" - Quickly, huh? If by "quickly," they mean at the pace of a glacier melting, then they are right on the money. Realistically, it probably doesn't take more than a minute or two to dissolve, but those 60-120 seconds are painful- trust me. I have to will myself with every fiber of my being not to gag or vomit.

So now that I've shared too much information with you about my attempts at getting rid of this pesky cold, I will move along. My day's activities have included watching a lot of tv in bed, talking to Allison on g-chat, and having a front row view of Noah and Buster chasing each other over and over and over again around the same bush outside our bedroom window... coincidentally right next to the spot where Noah buried that squirrel in a shallow grave a couple of months ago. And now a moment of silence for our beloved lost squirrel friend…………………………………………………. RIP, little fellow, RIP.

Now I'm watching High School Musical on the Disney Channel and thinking about how realistic it would be for an entire high school cafeteria full of kids to bust out in a choreographed song and dance number. Who am I kidding though, this movie is amazing, and I think all of us could learn a thing or two from the lyrics of "Stick to the Status Quo" and "Get Your Head in the Game." I think the only thing that would make this movie-viewing more enjoyable for me would be to have a Reese's blizzard from Dairy Queen in my hand. Oh, and not having a Kleenex permanently shoved up my Vicks Vaporub-coated nose. You're welcome for that visual.

Happy almost weekend, everyone!

2 comments:

DSneezy said...

High School Musical... another reason to love Utah. :)

Lauren & Zack said...

hahaha i love high school musical!! :)