Background template

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Dear Brian, Please come home now.

So I’m here to report the first two casualties of the week at the Joiner household: 1 cricket and 1 cockroach. And I use the term “casualties” very loosely, because if I’m going to be honest, I have to tell you that I was too scared to smush the cockroach, so instead I swept it outside the backdoor. But it’s not in the house anymore (yet), so that counts for something, right?

I know what you’re thinking: “Wow, she is so brave! She should go on Survivor or Fear Factor or some other really intense tv show competition.” And you’re right, I am pretty awesome. But for now I’ll stay home and enjoy not being famous. Because who wants people chasing me with sharpies and asking me to sign their clothing? Not me.

Since I know you were wondering, I have also been handling the dogs just fine on my own. Filling up the water bowls hasn’t been so bad (I haven’t been using a pitcher because it would require too many back and forth trips… these bowls are huge, people), except that every time I crouch down to fill one up, Noah and Buster promptly attempt to lick me to death. Literally they are licking me so quickly and furiously that I think they are trying to eat me. I guess they are just missing their daddy and are taking it out on me.

Probably the biggest fear that I am having to overcome is turning off all of the lights before bed (and therefore being alone in the DARK)… and that is followed closely by my fear of being the person to turn on all of the lights in the morning (and therefore shedding light upon all the potential intruders that have snuck in to abduct me). All things considered, I am surviving my first week at home alone just fine. Although I must admit that watching tv and playing on my computer is much more boring without Brian around.

On a more serious (and sad) note, my grandfather passed away last weekend. Calling him my “grandfather” sounds very formal, but calling him my “grandpa” sounds kind of redneck. So I’m just going to refer to him as what all the grandkids have always called him—Dee. Dee had been suffering from a number of ailments (diabetes, Alzheimers, etc) for some time now, and has spent the last couple of years living in a nursing home. So to say it was a surprise would not quite be accurate. Nonetheless, it is still sad and still hard—especially for my sweet grandmother (again, sounds way too formal) who has spent the last 60+ years by his side. Prayers especially for her are appreciated!

The funeral is later this week and while I would never venture to describe a funeral as fun, I am excited to get to spend some time with my extended fam. The last few years we have had summer weddings as excuses to reunite, and this summer no weddings are on tap, so it looks like this will be the basis for our annual get-together. I know that Dee would be happy to have all the family together just like in the good old days, so hopefully it will be a good time.

Anyway, not much else to report from this wannabe townie, so I’ll leave it at that. Hope y’all are all having a wonderful week!

3 comments:

Angela said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dee. I'll be praying for you and your family.
Glad to hear you're being brave with the bugs, though!

Dezzy Lou Where Are You said...

Im so sorry for your loss, your family will be in my prayers

Lauren & Zack said...

I'm so sorry about your grandfather! You and your family will be in my prayers.