Background template

Monday, May 5, 2008

Why I love the wave

So in my last post you read about how we attended an Astros game on Saturday night. I enjoy baseball games more than most sporting events for several reasons—the food is good (I am a big fan of crackerjacks and hot dogs), it’s a “wholesome,” All-American kind of game, it’s easier to follow than most sports (ok it’s easier to follow than football), the baseball players are generally good-looking (Brian, you can pretend that sentence said, “generally nice guys”), and they get cool intro. songs when they come up to bat. I have decided that my at-bat song would be “Little Miss Can’t be Wrong”… for (sadly) obvious reasons. What would YOUR baseball song be?

Anyway, of all the things I enjoy about baseball games, my favorite part (and I guess this could apply to any sporting event) would definitely have to be the wave. Yes, the activity where people stand up from their seats, raise their hands, and cheer in a domino effect around the stadium. It’s pretty magical, you have to admit. Think about all the effort that goes in to getting one started… you have to really rally the troops behind you in your seating area, or else you will just look like an idiot when you flail wildly out of your seat and no one else follows suit.

I also enjoy the wave because it gives me something else to watch besides the game. Even though I find baseball more tolerable than most sports, it still gets pretty boring… and nothing shakes things up and catches my attention like a good wave. And I love how the people at the “end” (the group that sits farthest from the start of the wave) are always the most enthusiastic. It’s like all of the anticipation has built itself up and they can hardly contain themselves by the time it’s their turn.

And in case you’ve ever been to an Astros game, I think you’ll agree that Minute Maid Park’s horseshoe seating arrangement is a perfect setting for the wave. You really get to see it from its conception until the very end… and if you’re lucky, just when it hits the end and you think it’s done, the other end starts it up all over again. And thus the magical cycle repeats itself.

The wave says, “We’re all on the same team!” (even if we aren’t), and is a product of real teamwork. In fact, I think that if all the nations’ leaders around the world would just get together at Minute Maid Park and get a wave going, we could really solve a lot of the world’s problems, don’t you?

6 comments:

Brian Joiner said...

.:!:.:!:.:!:.

there is a mini wave just for you!

slc newlyweds said...

My at-bat song would be "I'm a Loser, Baby"...

Brian Joiner said...

my at bat song would be the happy birthday song they play at Larry's

Dezzy Lou Where Are You said...

My song would be "Wild Thing" for sure...

Angela said...

Hi, Amanda! I found your blog kind of randomly a while back and have been reading it for a while now. I felt it was time for me to comment since I can definitely relate to you on this one. My husband and I have been married for 2 years, and before that I didn't know ANYTHING about football. Since it is impossible for me to live with him and continue in that way, I have now become a fan. But one of my favorite parts of any game is still the wave :)

Angela said...

okay...so another thing in common is that we both do this at work :)
I found you through Mindy Rives blog, but I don't know her either, and I don't remember how I found her blog. I think I was just looking for people who had the same things as me as interests in their profiles.